mharrison

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:06 pm

Hey everyone,

I am Michael and located in the United States. I received my first Pi B+ on Christmas. I have experience in programming, system administration etc. I have a hobby in playing with Parallax Propellers and Amtel chips. I am glad to be moving up to the Raspberry Pi for my hobbies. I have several ideas that I have for the Raspberry Pi.

Blue_Ridge_Mtns_Dave

Hello I'm Dave...

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:36 am

I received a Raspberry Pi B+ kit for my birthday from my wife...I'm an old retired I.T. guy so I haven't written any code in almost 4 years...I guess my wife thought I needed to do something besides saw boards and nail them together in my spare time...I'm looking forward to diving into this and see how it works..... :mrgreen:

DavideXixon

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:24 am

Hi,

I'm David from Asturias, a beautiful place in the North of Spain. I've experience as a systems administrator and a little in programing. I'm here because I'm seriously considering mounting Raspberry Pi as a media center. My intention is to play videos at 720p or 1080p (streaming or playing from a HD), watch youtube, surf the web, online TV channels... basic things expected of a device as Raspberry Pi. Now I know I have to spent a time researching the posibilities of Raspberry Pi, but it's an exciting part of the process for me.

Regards to all.

buja

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:01 am

Hi,

My name is Jacco, I am from the Netherlands and I have owned a Raspberry Pi for a year now, without doing much with it. But that is about to change, I have plans to do some temperature measuring and to control a robot arm (MeArm) with the Pi.
I already know Linux a bit (I use Debian and Mint at home), and C. The Pi is a good reason to look at Python.
So there is much to do, no doubt I will post some questions, and hopefully some answers too.

Dragon Pi

Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:18 pm

Hello, I got a Pi for Christmas, and I am on it now.....
Its got me intrigued, because its sat there on top of my old wind-bodge Tower system, completely silent, smaller than the tower system's Ethernet board, and consuming a fraction of the power.
So I am "n00b".
I am also a ex-programmer from the 80's, a Beta tester for several well known software bundles on micro-bodge, and fed up with it, so I want to learn Linux etc....
I will probably be asking all the wrong questions, please excuse me if I touch on PTD (posted to death) topics, I am new here, so just send me to the relevant thread?...

Thanks in advance.
Trying not to fly faster than my guardian angel.

Findus

Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi I'm Chris and have just started playing with my Pi B+ I'm new to all this so please forgive me for all the simple questions.

rantos

Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:27 am

:D hello everybody from Greece and happy new year

Ouch

Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi

I'm another lucky soul who got some Christmas pi action! I've been dropping hints for ages now, so I guess someone got fed up of listening to me :)

Anyhow, within about 6 hours of unpacking it, My first Pi (B) been put to good use as a network music player for my AV receiver using squeezelite. The problem is I now want another one!

In the meantime I can SSH into the one I have and brush up on unix commands (it's been a long time) and life without a GUI. Future plans include things like weather stations, CCTV and who knows what else..

ttfn

G

fostot

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi all, My names Will! I'm brand new to the Raspberry Pi, never even bought one. I'm doing research on a project idea i've had and hoping to peg the Raspberry Pi as the unit which will help me achieve this goal.

scidata

Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:41 pm

Greetings.

My name is Mike Will and I am the founder of Geopense (www.geopense.net). My personal blog is scidata.ca

Pervasive basic understanding of programming would lead to a better world, an opinion that the Raspberry Pi Foundation obviously shares. I personally own several Pi s, which I program in Python and gforth.

Very glad to be here.
"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is" - Isaac Asimov

Kapslok

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:53 am

Hi!

I'm a game developer / producer / artist from Finland. Started with c64 and Amiga back in the days. Later on moved to windows thingies via Blitzbasic3d and Purebasic. And recently (say five years back) thumbled on the Unity3d game engine. As a matter of fact I got very curious abut cross compiling purebasic code to unity3d. Raspberry? Oh, that's cool. Was the game Elite ported to Pi? :)

ybastan

Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:27 am

Hi, my name is Brian. I'm not a developer but I heard that raspberry pi can also use in minecraft. Since that was my favorite game, I want to lean how raspberry pi can be use in that game. Hope I will learn here.

lizhifei

Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:43 am

Hi, I'm Brian Li . I'm a mobile developer from China.

kamhagh

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 am

Hi ! i'm a 15 year-old and I love computers and electronics more than anything in world ! (after that is food and espresso and Linux :D )
I was always interested in these stuff, when i was a kid i always opened dead stuff to find out how they worked :)(and ruined lots of stuff)
When i was 12 i started playing WoW and i learnt English from there(as you can see my English is terrible! ), i also learnt about google there :) so when i found out how apps are made i googled and learnt c++(from http://www.cplusplus.com) :) after that i learnt java, python ,c , Qt and OpenGL(recently, its really fun:) )! I wanted to make an app to get data from USB and i learnt about microcontrollers, i first started with arduino and than atmega ! and than i learnt a little about cortex m3 ! and than thought about learning Cortex A programming so i bought pi and here i am :D im mainly looking to learn to program Cortex a with Linux and not using the Pi libraries ! because i want to learn to make my own boards ! and make devices like nest thermostat !

Padgaland

Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello, my name is Ian. I am a line cook that wants to get off the line and into an office and I figured the best way to do it is to teach myself basic programming and design. And what better way to learn is to get a Raspberry Pi so here I am. I heard the community here is a great one and helpful. Thank you for this opportunity to improve myself.

knight_templar

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi Folks
Brand new to this, have not actually got myself a Pi yet but am dead curious.
Was looking in the RS book in store this week but not sure what to go for.....
I saw B+ and the same with starter kit
Advice please?

As for the intro

I'm Steve
Engineer
UK
Mad Yellow sports car
Too many kids
Too many Exes
Anything else you need to know?
Ha

Take it easy
Steve

mr_randomguy

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:40 am

Hi, Jason here from the Philippines. Been browsing the forums since I got my Model B+ from 2 months ago. Hoping to learn more by participating in the forums :D

hfnthor

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Hello,

My name is Thor. I live in Northwest Nevada. I bought this thing now what do I do with it? That's why I am here, to see what all of you have done and what I may be able to accomplish with my Pi. I purchased the CanaKit and it came with resistors and LEDs. I think I will take a crack at the Cylon eye. I am very interested in experimenting and learning programming.

Thor

ETexan

Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

Hey all, my name is John and I'm interested in learning more about the Raspberry PI.

I live in East Texas, near Nacogdoches, so if there any other PIsters out here, give me a shout.

addy85

Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:23 am

Hi

I´m Addy from Germany. I´m a Raspberry newbie but not an technican newbie. I´ve studied Automation technologies and looking for some programming fun with the raspberry.

I purchased an Raspberry Pi B+ and started developing some little stuff.

DrRobotnik

Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi.

I'm Paul, from nottingham UK. I have a hobby for robotics. Been using picaxe microchips for a while and want to learn pi to make my projects a little more complicated.

Looking forward to learning.

Axolotl

Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:22 am

Hi,

I'm Neil. I'm now retired after a career in computing, first as a programmer then various things leading up to technical architect / consultant for large business e-mail services.

I'm now more of a user than a developer, but I suspect that my understanding of how computers work may help with the Pi, especially as I like to get under the hood of everything I use, more than most people.

I got a Pi B+ for Christmas, and I want to turn it into a music player to add to my Logitech Squeeze server system, which I've read you can do.

After that, who knows?
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but do you realise that what I wrote is not what I meant?

taos

Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:40 pm

my name's taos, im the beginer
https://www.warungjeans.com/

bosco

Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:37 am

Hey people,

bosco , 23 from ireland

I got a raspberry pi for christmas, after spending some time messing around with it setting up rasplex and using it as an airplay device, I've settled on using it to host a website, I am currently studying computer science and I'm going to use the pi to practice writing some php and web app stuff, I'll make sure to post a link up when I have something worth showing :)

Suige

Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Hey all. I am looking to reduce the footprint of my computer print. I kept hearing about RPi and didn't really know what it was. I am super excited to get into RPi. I may even program a bit on it as well. :)

Return to “General discussion”