Driftwood

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:01 pm

Hey all! My name is Dave. I just got a Pi and have been having some fun with it. I have been in the tech scene for ages now but never played with microcontrollers before now. Went to college for electronics then programming. When I graduated I got an IT job and have been there for 15 years.

I bought the Rasberry Pi to use as a server room monitor. I have something commercial in place now but it's getting quite old and this seemed like a great opportunity to play with the Pi.

AJ12Gamer

Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Hi Im just a guy with two kids and one RP. Just trying to figuire out how to setup one RP for two retropie setup sorta like virtualization. (1 cpu for 2 computers) that why the kids won't fight over who gets to play next!

Help please.

Killer

Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:58 pm

Hello! My Raspberry Pi starter kit should be arriving in a few days, looks very interesting! :D

HeAdLeSs

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:53 pm

Hello together.

I am HeAdLeSs (that's why I need support :D ). Sitting on the small island Cyprus, at the moment and just want to start to learn new things. And the RPi seems to be a good start for interesting projects. As I am a complete newbie with electricity, micro-controller and all this stuff... I need help :) That's why I am here, to hopefully learn many things from the people who have experience in it already. And maybe I'll love this stuff and will be able one day to answer also questions from newbies :)

JohanRPi

Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:19 pm

Hi, I'm Johan from The Netherlands.

Got 2 RPi's a while back and gave one to my parents with OpenElec and they seem to enjoy it a lot.

For myself i planned to start building an OS. but after following this very nice tutorial on ASM and blinky lights i kinda got stuck on just that.

Now with more time i'm planning to play with it a bit more again, You'll probably find me in the BareMetal / OtherOS area making topics and asking questions :)

detroitwillfall

Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:56 pm

Hello All!

New to Raspberry Pi, im currently an IT student just furthering my education with certifications and experience atm.

currently A+(just gotta pass my 802), then on to bigger and better thnings..

Looking to purchase the newest/latest model. going with the pi kit i believe soon.

then id like to make a nice home theatre mini center for videos/music and some mild internet browsing..

Eventually id love to learn programming through pi as i will be certifying in linux+ in the future and python for starters is a good area in that regard.

Im all for meeting new people and exchanging ideas and thoughts in a manner that is conductive and beneficial in any regard :)

Nice too meet all of you,

DWF

Edgar Rubio

Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:57 am

Hello everyone. Glad to be on board the forums finally!

I am Edgar originally from Mexico, but now living in Catalonia, Spain. I love to play with electronics and computers.. to which the Raspberry Pi has been a great contribution. I program everything with it myself, and it's just beautiful to work with. Looking forward to some interesting projects here on the forums.

Thanks to all and see you.

JGHunter

Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:20 am

From England here, I go by either this or "bleakside" across the internet, but since it's so vast we've probably never met.

My brother bought me my Raspberry Pi a couple years ago, for Christmas. He bought me a Python book too but unfortunately it wasn't the best written book and even my dad (who is always changing the TV media centre (much to the chagrin of my mum) and who bought me my first computer at 13 in parts as a project) couldn't figure out what I was meant to do as there was no suggested solution for the snag. The book ended up becoming a dust collector.

Well, I'm back and ready to try again. I have finally ordered a mini USB keyboard (although to be fair I preferred using remote desktop through my laptop) so will be getting started next week. Like many others, I want to get into robotics but that involves AI which appears insanely complicated, so my first big target is making a mobile phone. First things first however I really want to get to grips with understanding hardware, modules and components, how each item works and thus really understand what I can and can't achieve with the RPi or otherwise.
I have two things: a Raspberry Pi and dreams...

MonkeymanStones

Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:42 pm

Hello everyone,
My name is David Watt of Holyoke, MA USA. I've purchased a Raspberry Pi B+ a few days ago to try and develop an in-car video recording system. I hope to use the IR Camera for the rear view, and three USB cameras for a front view (looking out the windshield), a view showing my gauges, feet and body in the driver's seat, lastly a view towards the driver's side window. I hope to use a 256GB USB drive to record the video from the 4 cameras. When not driving I plan to use the Pi in my home with a different MicroSD card.
The gear I bought and hope to use with the Pi once it arrives (and when the gear arrives):
1) Raspberry Pi "Deluxe" kit from Raspberry Pi Cafe
2) Asus VE278Q 27" monitor
3) SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB MicroSD
4) Adesso Keyboard with SD card reader and 2 Port USB Hub
5) Perixx MX2000-IIR Mouse

Now I just need to discuss here what USB cameras and USB Drive to use (in addition to software) to create the Automotive Recording unit. :D

jimallyn

Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:41 am

Greetings, all. My name is Jim Allyn, and I live in Wenatchee, WA USA. I don't have a Pi yet, but I have an idea for a Pi project, so I will be ordering one soon. I've been into electronics all my life, and I've done a bunch of hardware design and software development.
“So you say you love the poor? Name them.” - Gustavo Gutierrez

wurde

Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:37 pm

hi raspi guys and gals.

Just found this forum after finally pulling my Raspberry Pi B+ out of hiding and onto my desk.

Thought I'd say hi before going into lurker mode to find out what's around here. I'll share why I'm here and what projects I hope to share with the community in hopes to spark conversations should they interest you too.

My day job is building information systems (computer sci guy) and the coming project includes a distributed sensor node for video analytics (on raspberry pi of course). My hobby project (one I will likely share later and completely open source here) is an aquaculture system designed around a converted 275+ gallon food-grade IBC Tote.

Oh and I enjoy english tea when I can get away from this dreadful new coffee habit.

- wurde

risingtiger

Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:04 pm

Hi,

I'm Davis. I've been hacking and designing on the web since 96. I rather have an infinity for the nodejs stack for development and have been working on a watering schedule written in javascript on the raspberry pi.

Archimedes

Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:13 pm

Hello everyone. I've been using the Pi for some time now. It has been a great tool to educate me about Linux and Python.

I'm here with the hopes of learning even more from such a brilliant community. The work done here is really inspiring.

Pi_Guy_PEI

Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:12 pm

Hello,

I'm an analyst from PEI, Canada. I picked up a pi to kind of immerse myself in an environment that demanded more cli from me. I find it helps to keep me in a programming oriented mindset.

raspalan

Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:50 pm

helloooooooo... iv got one of these and havnt got a clue how to use it lol

al.

dpaulc

Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm Paul and usually go by dpaulc. I've worked in computers and networking my entire life ( a long time)!! I worked for Hewlett Packard for 30 years. In fact, I was the webmaster for the first website that my division published.

My interests are Cars, Computers and Networking and Kids. I have 4 grandchildren, soon to be 5!!

My first Pi in being shipped and my excited to get into it!

I learned about Raspberry and it's goals just recently and am excited about this. I've had the opportunity to travel all over the world and see the impact of poverty on children.

Thanks,
Paul

nowire

Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm Massimiliano, a PLC senior software engineer :-)

MrJenkins
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator
Raspberry Pi Certified Educator

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:04 am

Hi, I'm Dan, I'm an ICT & Computing secondary school teacher in Wales, UK.

Having recently qualified as a teacher, I am always keen to find exciting and original ideas to integrate into the classroom. The Raspberry Pi excites me for that very reason, so I am looking to develop my expertise using the device. I've recently attended a Picademy event and acquired the certified educator status :D

I'll be looking to develop my knowledge over this next year, try a few fun projects once I get myself some extra equipment, and to try and host an event to teach other teachers in the South Wales area (perhaps through the Welsh medium).

My strengths would be that I have a good understanding of computing and programming from my days in university.
My weaknesses would be that I lack confidence with Linux, electronics, and writing programs that interact with websites.

Diolch,

Dan

HardwareJon

Introduce yourself!

Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello all,

I'm a retired hardware/system engineer (Aerospace/Automotive). I purchased a Raspberry Pi A+ as an initial entry into home automation. I'm most interested at this stage of my project in the the hardware interface with the Pi A+.

Jon

Fabio Pi

Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi I'm Fabio, I'm 14 and everyone seems to be much older on this forum, I live in France but am bilingual. My dad bought me the Raspberry Pi to take me off my Iphone and so I could learn about programming. If it is aimed at kids then why is the forum full of difficult stuff from adults ?

clive
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:56 pm

Fabio Pi wrote:Hi I'm Fabio, I'm 14 and everyone seems to be much older on this forum, I live in France but am bilingual. My dad bought me the Raspberry Pi to take me off my Iphone and so I could learn about programming. If it is aimed at kids then why is the forum full of difficult stuff from adults ?
Hi Fabio -- have a look at our resources http://www.raspberrypi.org/resources for beginners' projects and tutorials etc. But do use the forums if you need help: there is technical stuff here of course but also thousands of friendly and helpful people who know a lot :)

ioodfjf

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:34 am

very nice as well,....very generous, good forums as well :D
Last edited by ioodfjf on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

MikeDX

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:30 am

My name is Mike

I am currently working on FUZE BASIC V3.0

It'll knock your socks off :)
Join me in the lair if you dare
http://lair.fuze.co.uk/

MakerMike77

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:13 pm

Hey it's MakerMike77 from Atlanta, GA USA. Just getting into Raspberry Pi. I've got 2x B+ models and one new A+ models. I've got a few projects in mind so I'm just cutting my teeth with what the Raspberry Pi can do.

Last night I was able to get XBMC (Kodi) going on a RaspbMC image within 30 mins. Great stuff and I can't wait to do some projects with the Pi Camera's (Got the NOIR and the Regular)

SkeeM5

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:46 pm

Hi!

I am new to this site. Just registered and just got my Raspberry Pi in the mail yesterday. I will start messing with it today, but wanted to introduce myself first. Hope to learn some cool new things! :mrgreen:

Return to “General discussion”