KMyers

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Hello, I am Ken and live in the mountains of West Virginia USA with my wife Celeste. I was an engineer for Cable TV. My skills lie in RF, design. proof of performance testing on rf systems and documentation for our FCC.

In 2004 I was in an accident and dissabled so now I play with the Raspberry PI and Parallax Stamps and the Propeller. On the Pi I have learned some Linux and Python. Sorta keeps me out of trouble and out of my wifes hair. I have been lurking these forums for awhile and finally broke down to introduce my self.

Still learning and kicking.. :lol: :lol:

toad

Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:40 am

I've been using Linux for about 7 or 8 years, running mostly Mint now on boxes and computers that people have decided to recycle. I was interested in these little boards due to size and price, and wanted to see how it would work for setting up simple functioning machines to give away. This is what I do with recycled computers, mostly to elderly people who need to stay on the 'net with kids and grandkids. It takes a while to get one of those machines going, and I wondered if something like this would be simple and faster. Why give away computers? because you can! I am in Canada at the moment.
strive be kind

pieterbl

Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:47 am

Hi fellow - Raspberry Pi lovers,

First let me introduce myself: My name is Pieter and I'm 27 years old. I'm from the Netherlands, near the city of Breda (south of the Netherlands).

I'm always interested in DIY-projects, especially projects which integrates multiple expertises (which make them most of the time difficult ;) ). I've an agricultural engineering background and all my DIY-project relate to "crop production" at home and sometimes work-related.

Last year I started with an Arduino project, I know this is not an Arduino forum, but give me some time to clarify my background :lol: ;) :D

My other hobby, which is the home cultivation of chilli peppers, bell peppers and tomatoes, brought me a problem: "how to water / irrigate my plants, when I'm not home (holiday, work, etc.)". I started with a simple Arduino Mega 2560, a cheap Chinese soil sensor, a relay and some wires... A year later the system evolved to a fully automated system with monitoring and setpoint adjustments by iPhone app and a selfmade "robust" soil sensor. On Element14 there is a movie clip of this system: http://www.element14.com/community/vide ... pot-plants

After the Arduino project I was realizing that Raspberry Pi had some advantages and the Pi grapped my attention. I've used the Pi, with camera, for some time-lapse movie capturing (of course for my plants ;) ) and I'm very curious about the computer vision (with OpenCV or SimpleCV) projects with the Pi.

After a while I decided to join this forum, since I've some questions about some potential Raspberry Pi applications.

You'll hear from me.

Greetings,
Pieter

Gnivek

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello all.I'm Kevin and I'm 47.I live in Mississippi USA.
I like to tinker around and build things.I've always wanted to learn to program and I ran across a book for the Raspberry Pi at the book store.I came home and ordered one.

pjpeej13

Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:10 am

Hey, I'm John. I'm currently 18 years old, and am fairly new to this awesome new world. I live in California, USA, and LOVE this new toy.

I was introduced to Raspberry Pi by a friend of mine (thanks Josh), and got one about 6 months ago. Because my friend and I had no funding whatsoever, we could only play around with software stuff, and dream of the quadrocopters we'd make. My biggest, project I've done is a permanent file server residing in my room (includes torrent, samba server, and ftp server). Thank you forums for providing that information.

My only experience with computers and electronics has been mostly with Apple. I have taken courses in Basic Java, and currently learning more in UNIX and Python.

Once money starts rolling in, I hope to make that quadrocopter dream come true. I have no idea what I'm doing, so hopefully I can find some easier hardware related projects to do beforehand so I don't break something.

Other hobbies include knife throwing, card tricks, some gaming (can't do much with a Macbook 2007, Pi, and a nest of cables in my closet), and cruisin around in my '98 Corolla. With no A/C, broken window motors, broken power locks, and a missing hubcap, I'm certainly living the high life :)

I hope to earn a degree in Computer Engineering in the future. I don't know exactly what kind of career I'd like, but I DO know that it's going to involve computers. Preferably building them.

Hope to cross paths in forums sometime soon!

John

skizzetto

Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:56 am

Hello, i'm Vincenzo, italian sw developer.
I'm happy to join this community!

Thanks all!

pepitoria

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Hi there,

I'm Jose, spanish android/sw developer. I've been using the pi for some time, I thought it was time to join the community and give something back, so here it goes my first contribution: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... =80502&e=0

Jose.

rock_doc7447

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 pm

Hello everyone,
I am a retired IT professional. What do I do now? I am back in school to get a PhD in Geology. I coach the robotics team at the local high school. In my spare time, my wife and I hike mountain trails with our pack llamas and talk to the world on our ham radios. Busy? Na, just catching up on the bucket list.

It's a lot of fun. She is very into astronomy and I geology. Our "look at this" conversations whip-saw our friends between heaven and earth. They end up looking like they are watching a vertical tennis match.

Raspberry pi is a new thing for me and at first glance, it looks like I can bend it to my interests in software Defined radios, and robotics. Of course tinkering is not out of the question.

eyp

Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi all!,

I work as a software developer since 1996, but I started playing with computers since I was 9 with an 8 bits ZX Spectrum.
The main purpose I've bought a RPi is to have a multimedia box for my wife and daugther, and a retro videogame platform for
me... if they let me...

Anyway, after reading a lot about RPi and the GPIO port, I think that in a near future I'll buy another one so I could play with it
and Arduino to do some things as a hobby. I'd like to play with the Pi and my daugther, but sadly she likes princesses more than
electronics things... although she's only 6 and may be in a near future she has other motivations....

I'm from Spain, and has been a surprise that the Spanish forum is so active, but I'd like to learn from everybody, so the I like
to surf both, English & Spanish forums.

See you!

Raceman

Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:24 pm

Hello all

My name is Bruno and i live in Portugal, i work for a big computer and technology company as a SysAdmin and other things.

i´m here because i´m a curious and a i´ve owned one and became fascinated by that little box. It´s simply amazing. Lots of communities, and lots of peoples made superb things with that little box.

I´m joining this forum to share and learn what i can, because knowledge is never to much.

Thank you everyboy for making this thing happen.

Jayverni

Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:43 am

Hi! I'm James. I've been jayverni for many years. I work in home automation, and have been hoping to start playing with a Pi for quite a while now. Luckily I am a good lurker, and I read FAQs, and I know how to use the search function so I hope to not be too much trouble!

blackprogrammer

Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:06 am

New to the forums and the world of programming. Currently a book seller and future teacher. Have always had a thing fore technology and how it ticks,leading up to me taking my desktop apart many times lol currently looking to get into computer programming. Looking to develop websites,software, and applications. I am currently working on obtaining my A+ and Security+ IT certification.

I learned about raspberry pi last year but had no idea what it was until a few months ago lol I was told to use it as a stepping stone to programming considering I have no prior experience. I am going to fish through the forums and find as much uselful information as I can and mingle w/as many of us as I can. I am going to be putting in a order for a model B CanaKit this friday (http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00G1PNG5 ... 151&sr=8-2) I am hoping I can learn something from everyone and make some common ground w/you all. Peace and many blessings,

Blackprogrammer

Ps-if anyone can offer me any tips on buying a kit,pls PM me on instructions,thanks again
"Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind."

-Bruce Lee

DarkMagician6

Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 am

Hello,

I am Kevin and I live in The Netherlands. My hobby's include many aspects of computers and I also like to work on my moped (A Piaggio Vespa Si). I'm currently learning Python and I have used Java in the past to write mods for a game called 'Minecraft' to give me an advantage over others. I would consider my Java knowledge to be decent and my current Python knowledge to be basic.

I'm soon going to buy a Raspberry Pi to mess a little with it to learn more about Linux and programming. :D

Tepic

Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Hello, my name is Pete.

I am pretty new to the Pi and Linux, but not to computers in general. I recently gave in and bought myself a Pi in the Fuze case, and I am loving it.

It is pretty amazing how a retro themed case makes me want to bolt together some 80s styled home brew efforts. My Pi is used pretty much only for playing around in various languages. I have yet to do more than dip my toe into the whole electronics side of the Pi, but what I have done makes me want to experiment a lot more!

alberto79

Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:02 am

Hello everyone
the fantastic raspberry.
thanks to everyone for the support

florizel

Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:52 am

My name is Florizel. I came here because I'm interested how to connect raspberry pi in scratch edu. I'm hoping that I will learn it.

DouglasB

Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:47 am

I'm DouglasB from Florida. I want to use the Raspberry Pi for home automation mainly.

sgtachilles

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Hi, I am only 12 years old and I am having some troubles connecting to my WiFi network. The WiFi network works fine on other devices such as handhelds but it somehow wont work on the Raspberry Pi. When I try to connect to the internet it always just fails. Since this has been happening I have stopped using the Pi in frustration. Is there any tips or advice that someone could possible give me to use the Pi again. Some help would be greatly appreciated.

Shadow_7

Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:31 pm

James from Texas (this decade anyway). I've wanted a low power arm device for a while. And got tired of waiting for the next generation to be good enough to replace my aging desktop AND be OTS purchase-able. I don't do financial things online, and most of the news in the past half decade has only verified my paranoia. So I finally got the RPi off of craigslist. Telling non-tech friends that you bought a Raspberry Pi(e) off of craigslist leads to interesting conversations.

I had a vic-20 at my paw at age 10, circa 1981. I made a living of sorts coding Y2K fixes from 1998-2002. Some of that was Y2K catch up work after 1999. But the whole I.T. employment scene leaves me disgusted. I can count the number of times that I was employed at Xmas time since 1997 on one hand and still have enough fingers free to hold a drink. I got the pi so I could off load a few of the batch style processing tasks off of the primary work horse. Like rendering 3D animations with povray and making videos of that generated content. And maybe tinker with coding skills that have employment opportunities in this post mainframe and DOS world. The price point opens up clustering like possibilities for folks with relatively unpredictable income opportunities.

rasp14

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:51 am

Hi All,

I'm David, 29 from Malaysia. I've been working as an electronic / semicon engineer since i graduated. I found out about Raspberry Pi through a computer magazine, initial thought on this little computer is, it works perfectly as a small media center in my house. So i bought it without second thought. Now i am happy Pi user for almost a month now.

Nice to meet you all!

Regards.

Virneto

Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:18 am

Hey you all,
I'm Virneto and I live in the lost city of Atlantida ( :lol: Azores - Portugal).
Just got my first Rasp up and running.
Its great to be here!
See you in the forums as I follow or create new posts, so that I can learn the Rasp way Big Time ;)
Cheers to you all!
Virneto

Rick1972

Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:41 am

My name is Rick Busa. Currently I am commuting between Scottsdale, Arizona and Puerto Penasco, Mexico. We had been coming to Mexico for over 20 years. About 7 years ago, I saw a need to help the local children with sports equipment. That's when The a Youth Sports Foundation of Puerto Penasco was born. We collect and distribute sports equipment to all the children here in Pensaco. Please check our Facebook page out to see all the different things we have done to help the children. Our biggest event is that we bring major league coaches here every January to teach children the basics of baseball. This foundation has been very rewarding to me and trying to expand it to the education field. We have started The Adopt an Elementary School Sports Program. The State of Sonora, Mexico is going to take this idea state wide. We are hoping to expand what we have done into the education field.

Emmadw

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:14 am

Hi,
I'm Emma - and was somewhat surprised today to find I'd not yet registered; have browsed these forums so often, that I was quite surprised when I couldn't login. (Being able to get the username I generally use, I realised I hadn't!)

So, I'm someone who, like many of the slightly older people here, started out on a ZX81 as a teenager.

Having taught in schools & used BBCs/Archs, I'm now a lecturer in the School of Computing at Portsmouth University, looking at Computing to support learning - so the Pi seemed an obvious thing to get. I've had mine for quite some time now - ordered in those far off days when you had to register for a single one & then wait for a while to get it.

It's only really now, though, that I'm trying to seriously get to grips with it & to see what it can be used for in schools, as we're involved now with both the local CAS [Computing at Schools] - and an University Ambassador programme, in which students are going to be in schools working alongside teachers. [Though not as trainee teachers].

jarpiii

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi my name is Kevin aka jarpiii, I currently a systems engineer with limit programming knowledge.
I'm in the process of getting a new B+ Pi to use as a connection to my XBMC server.
Since my research started on the Pi I found loads of automation uses for the Pi so as soon as my knowledge base
increases I will most likely start experiencing with that side of the Pi.

Looking forward to discussing everything Pi related with you guys and hopefully providing a sensible contribution to the forum.

Whit

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:11 pm

Hello,

My name is Whit. I live in the US and a friend just introduced me to the Pi and the B+.

I hope to have one soon and will be back to talk and ask questions. Thanks in advance for your help!
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Return to “General discussion”