Jock

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:43 am

Hi everyone!

I'm a 59 year old telecomms engineer, originally from Scotland, but have been banished to the south (Yorkshire)!

I've always been a tinkerer and recently discovered the Arduino which made my life so much easier as I can do a lot of the work in software (because, due to poor eyesight, my soldering skills aren't what they used to be!)

For our wedding anniversary, my lovely wife bought me a Raspberry Pi and that also has given me a new lease of life - I'm trying to mount it in the car and apart from the webcam connection I currently have, am interested in Can bus interfacing. If anyone has any experience in interfacing a Pi to a VAG Amundsen+ display, please let me know.

cymro

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:36 pm

Hi all,
I'm a noob to Linux but slowly getting my head around it and looking forward to using my Pi for a few projects so expect a lot of questions :)

9VoltBagel
Location: I would rather not tell, due to the few people who like to hate and make every one else feel bad.

hello

Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:53 pm

I'm James, I joined the forums because I'm gonna buy a Model B Raspberry Pi and I would like to get help whenever i'm able. So knowing i'm surrounded by people with similar interest, I know i'll be able to learn as much as I can.
I'm 15 and I love robotics. I hope to use raspberry pi as a prototype maker for a bunch of little robots, as well as learning to program websites and video games and scripting and all that fun.
I also enjoy drawing when I have spare time. Thanks for reading!
Dragons are fun!
http://dragcave.net/user/jamespaige12

lukek-aus

Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:56 am

Hey,

I'm Luke, a student who has only been using the Pi for a couple of months. I run my own blog and YouTube channel, basically just documenting my experience with the Pi as I complete everyday tasks.

http://www.pi.lukek-aus.net
http://www.youtube.com/lukekaus
Visit my blog - http://www.pi.lukek-aus.net

hal8000

Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:26 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to the Pi, but not to linux.
I run Arch on my desktop PC and Mint 14 on my laptop.

My Pi should be delivered shortly and no prize for guessing which image
I will be trying first.

JohnFNovak

Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 pm

Hi all! I've got two pi's. One runs my web-server, and the other is just for playing.

Word1176

Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 am

Hi guys!, I'm a newcomer for SoC. RaspPi will be my first project.
Just got one on my desk. It's so easy to start it up. Very cool!!

maximumwarp

Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Hello, my name is Ivan but on forums/communities I'm maximumwarp! :)
I'm from a little village in the south of Italy: Foglianise and I'm 34 years old.
I "play" with technology since I was 7 years old, I like to experience anything of interest to offer the technology and computer science, so could not miss among the dozens of my devices a Raspberry Pi! :mrgreen:
Non è la fame ma è l'ignoranza che uccide.

tapazida

Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:47 am

Hello, I'm an DIYer. Most working on audio project, The Raspi give me many ideas for my next project.
Now, I'm waiting for my Pi from RS-Online. Thanks, Raspberry Pi

someone_else

Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi!
My name is Hugo and I am a guy who love computers, physics, technology and Linux. The first technical thing I ever learned was how to use the TV-remote. This was when I was three years old and my parents got a new heavy TV. But I don't mean a "large screen" type of TV. I just mean a fat television like they used to look like these days. I've been interested in technology since then.

Now I'm 14 years old and I've been programming since I was 11. I can program in Java, C#, C/C++, Python, Lua etc. On October 9, 2010 was the first time I made a program. It was probably an ordinary "Hello World" application, I don't remember so well. I just remember it was written in Java and (of course) I remember the date, and that I had "copied" it from a book I had :) . But I lost the desire to code about a year ago. Instead I found Linux (actually I found It long before I lost my desire), and I loved it. It felt much more open than Windows. I had much more control over my computer. So I almost switched to Linux.

My favourite distro was Ubuntu and it still is, I am using Ubuntu 13.04 while writing this by the way. But Linux made me (as you maybe can understand) code much more rarely. It was so much to learn so I didn't have time for programming or anything like that. All programs I ever needed already existed and the most of them was open source. And I didn't code for about half a year. Last time I made a program was when my science teacher (who was educated in Java) gave me a task. He wanted to test me if I could make a test at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) in Stockholm. And it's one of the worlds best technology universities. But it was very simple, basically just read a file, split each line with information to Strings and Integers, do some basic math and print out the results in the prompt. I finished the program in about 3 hours and I told my teacher, but I never made the test.

I never got into programming again after that. But last summer I found Raspberry Pi. And I thought it maybe could help me get into programming again and teach me much about Linux at the same time.

And here I am!

Raymii

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:09 pm

Howdy,

I'm Raymii, a sysadmin by trade, a programmer at night. Having a few Raspberry Pi's in use for different purposes, my latest projects involves a nagios extension to show the status of the monitored environment in a LoL board: http://shop.ciseco.co.uk/pi-lite-lots-o ... -0805-red/
https://raymii.org

Ecurb

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi my name is Bruce (Ecurb is Bruce backwards) and I'm just now starting in RP. I'm an IT professional and have been playing with Arduino for the past year. You can see some of my projects at this little site I threw togther. ecurb.info

Ecurb

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi!
My name is Hugo and I am a guy who love computers, physics, technology and Linux. The first technical thing I ever learned was how to use the TV-remote. This was when I was three years old and my parents got a new heavy TV. But I don't mean a "large screen" type of TV. I just mean a fat television like they used to look like these days. I've been interested in technology since then.

Now I'm 14 years old and I've been programming since I was 11. I can program in Java, C#, C/C++, Python, Lua etc. On October 9, 2010 was the first time I made a program. It was probably an ordinary "Hello World" application, I don't remember so well. I just remember it was written in Java and (of course) I remember the date, and that I had "copied" it from a book I had :) . But I lost the desire to code about a year ago. Instead I found Linux (actually I found It long before I lost my desire), and I loved it. It felt much more open than Windows. I had much more control over my computer. So I almost switched to Linux.

My favourite distro was Ubuntu and it still is, I am using Ubuntu 13.04 while writing this by the way. But Linux made me (as you maybe can understand) code much more rarely. It was so much to learn so I didn't have time for programming or anything like that. All programs I ever needed already existed and the most of them was open source. And I didn't code for about half a year. Last time I made a program was when my science teacher (who was educated in Java) gave me a task. He wanted to test me if I could make a test at KTH (Royal Institute of Technology) in Stockholm. And it's one of the worlds best technology universities. But it was very simple, basically just read a file, split each line with information to Strings and Integers, do some basic math and print out the results in the prompt. I finished the program in about 3 hours and I told my teacher, but I never made the test.

I never got into programming again after that. But last summer I found Raspberry Pi. And I thought it maybe could help me get into programming again and teach me much about Linux at the same time.

And here I am!
wow I wish I was half as into tech/science as you are when I was your age! Welcome to the fourm!

Celestial_Lion_leo

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:36 am

Greetings,

My name is Mike. I live in Indiana, U. S. A. I am in my late sixties. I enjoy observing women half my age, computers, music, television, radio, astronomy, taking pictures, metal detecting, aquariums, & tropical fish. I had my own business year ago, in Pittsburgh, Pa. Then, one evening, I became very ill. I am much better, although I will never the experience.
I moved back to Indiana in August of 2000.
I am planning on purchasing a Raspberry Pi tomorrow. I hope to hook one up to the camera, then use it on my telescopes. Providing I can learn the computer programming.....

Sincerely,

Mike Allen

momma*mia

Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:00 am

Hi there!
I stumbled across this forum while trying to shop online for a raspberry pi. (My kiddo has asked for one for Christmas) Shopping for this little raspberry is turning out to be rather confusing so I‘ve come for some help. With any luck I will also learn a bit about the raspberry pi while here and actually be able to impress my kids a wee bit. A girl can always hope.

dgordon42

Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Hello everybody, the name's Dave.

Got my Raspberry Pi a few months ago, but only now am I getting time to play with it.
I must say i'm impressed, with both the Pi, and the Foundation and people behind it.
The MagPi is probably the best computer magazine I have come across.

I started on a BBC Micro back in the eighties, and did a bit of programming in BASIC on it.
When the PC's with Windows came along, amateur programming seemed to disappear, although I did play around with Visual Basic 6 and Visual Basic.net on my PC.

I'm running Raspbian, and as Linux is all new to me, am (trying to) teach myself Bash for starters.

I guess I'll have lots of questions for these Forums over the coming months.

Sent from my Raspberry Pi.

nedpub

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:11 am

Hello, Here is ned pub. I'm a photography lover, here is my personal blogspot,http://fotorelated.blogspot.com/
I'm also a photography gear retailer: http://www.koolerbuy.com/photography-eq ... c-391.html
Thanks for response

kandrianto

Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:55 am

Hello Everyone,

My name is Andri, from Jakarta, Indonesia. I am an educator/training facilitator and very keen in using RasPi for my teaching projects. Thanks to Moderator, hope this first posting gets through.

Andri

kandrianto

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:52 am

Hello Kris,

I am organising Ras-Pi workshops at the moment, for educational purposes (and perhaps business and entrepreneurship, as well) at the moment.

Would be grateful if you could shed some light and experience to us. By the way, whereabouts you are? I am in Jakarta.

andri
kr1st0 wrote:Hello guys...
I'm kris, and I'm lecturer on some private higher education in Indonesia.
I interested with pi and still waiting for my board come from the shop.
I will use pi as an experiment tools and probably will endorse my students to works with pi. :D

kandrianto

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:00 am

Hello Tunjung

Nice to know someone who interested in promoting RasPi with entrepreneurship background, and on top of that, based in Indonesia, too.

My name is andri, and am currently organising project to promote Ras-Pi among (young) entrepreneurs. If you want, we can meet up and later on - let's see how it goes from there - join us in this great opportunities!

I am from Jakarta, anyway. Thanks, and catch you again, soon.

andri

tunjungutomo wrote:Hi, I'm Tunjung from Indonesia.

I'm a tech startup enterpreneur, and basicly a geek, so everything that as geeky as the RaspPi should make into my list. In a more serious note, RaspPi with it's cheap price,and simple user interface, opens huge possibility in 3rd world nations, such as Indonesia, where there's huge digital divide yet to be bridged. I wish I can learn a lot of thing about application of RaspPi in various real-world situation.

andygothard

Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi
I'm Andy and I work for a company called XMOS that makes configurable multicore microcontrollers... we have just announced a little development board that connects easily to the Raspi, and allows you to configure interfaces and program real-time functions in high-level (C) software. I'm actually looking around on the forums for the right place to talk about this product... I don't want people to think I'm spamming... we're giving away 2500 of these things at our website, www.xmos.com/startkit

AndyG

IrishFramboise
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:02 am

Hi all,

I'm Alan. I'm Irish. I'm living in Orange, Vaucluse, Provence, France. I've been here almost 10 years now (and am losing my English). I was apparently born the same year as Eben and have a matching hairstyle (not really by choice).

I'm busy working on my plan to teach computers in schools over here in France thanks to Raspi. I guess this means I'll be hanging out a good bit around the "CAS en France et le manuel Raspberry Pi écrite par le CAS" Subject in the next while.

I'm very excited about the future. :arrow: :?:
Bonsoir à tous,

Je m'appelle Alan. Je suis irlandais. J'habite à Orange, Vaucluse, PACA, France. Ca fait bientôt 10 ans que j'habite en France (et je perds de plus en plus mon anglais). Apparemment je suis né la même année qu'Eben et j'ai la même coupe de cheveux que lui (pas tout à fait par choix).

Je travaille activement sur un projet d'enseigner l'informatique à l'école ici grâce à Raspi. Ça veut dire que je passerai très certainement pas mal de temps dans le "CAS en France et le manuel Raspberry Pi écrite par le CAS" Sujet dans les semaines à venir.

L'avenir me remplit d'espoir :arrow: :?:
Fabro Ergo Sum - I tink(er) therefore I am - Je bricole donc je suis

paddyg

Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:33 am

@IrishFramboise,

or, if you're, Noah, tell them they are all going to drown if they don't start on those gofer trees right now.
also https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en-GB&fromgroups=#!forum/pi3d

shodruk

Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi,
My name is Shodruky Rhyammer, a programmer.
I want to post about my open source project using Raspberry Pi.
thank you.

IrishFramboise
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:19 am

Welcome shodruk.

@paddyg : Thanks ;) maybe my original signature was a little pretentious and "antediluvian". But it did betray my belief that Raspberry Pi (among many other things) is going to make a big difference to the future.
Voilà, my new signature :
Fabro Ergo Sum - I tink(er) therefore I am - Je bricole donc je suis

Return to “General discussion”