nosaj

Re: Introduce yourself!

Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 pm

Hello,

My name is Jason. I am a computer programmer by trade. My oldest son, 9 years old, has expressed interest in robotics and generally loves playing games on the computer. I've been looking for a way to introduce him to electronics and robotics, and decided on starting with a Raspberry Pi because of the low cost (which means its okay if we break it :o ) and the community around it.

While I am very good with programming, I am only so-so with Linux, and know next to nothing about basic electronics. So some of this will certainly be learning for me as well.

My oldest loves nothing more than Minecraft, so I think we may start with the Minecraft/Python programming first once we have the Pi set up and learn some basic Linux command line. I plan on using the MagPi articles and/or Khan Academy videos to teach him basic Python programming. From there, we will see.

I ordered our R-Pi from Allied several weeks ago, and am planning on giving it to my oldest for his birthday in January.

Cheers,
Jason

Rogueninja64

Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:55 pm

I Found it!

Hello all found the introduction page!

Name is Joe, I just got my model B and it is wonderful to use. Great for testing video and testing programs I run for efficiency. If it can run well on the board it can run well on anything.

I have knowledge in C++, Java, some python and the English language(programming people is a bit tougher)

Hope I can contribute to this awesome community of tinkerers.

Againer

Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 pm

Hey Everybody,

I just received my first Pi for Xmas ! I really look forward to all the projects I want to do and look forward to using this community and board to be a resourceful guide in my future endeavors.

My background.

I've always been a computer hobbyist and a bit of a geek but now I'm just getting into programming. I currently work in web development and I'm always looking to expand my skill set. I have more knowledge in Linux so I'm pretty resourceful in that respect.

I've already got about three or 4 ideas of projects I want to try out ( Finally building a MAME Cabinet?).

Jelle

Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Hi,

My name is Jelle. I think no one is really interested in my whole life :) But anyway i'm at the age of 16 and i live in Holland.

Merry christmas and a happy new year!

pascalboy

Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:20 am

Hello,

I am Pascal Lieverse, I come from Holland to :).
I bought a raspberry for the fun and I will develop things like a os and applications, I am 16 years and not good in english :P.

Cathyo_0

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Cathy here,

Been nagging my parents for a Pi for about a year now. Not entirely sure why I didn't just buy one myself, but hey ho! Got one now! Unwrapped my baby this morning and got it up and running with Raspbian this afternoon.

Bit of a background now. I'm a 17 year old girl from England, started my A-Level computing course this September. I've grown up around Apple computers and have basically been fed on computer knowledge and trivia. Not much else to say really. Oh, I have a tortoise and a cat. Both like sitting on top of computers and laptop keyboards. Although Dexter, my tortoise had to stop that because she took a shit on my last laptop...

Back to the Pi. I'm actually really proud of myself for even getting this running and working. Actually rather proud of being able to open the box haha! But yeah, I'm still a Raspbaby so I'm gonna take this slow and am open to any new ideas people can give me to try out. I'm going for a real experimental approach to this. If things work, brilliant, if they don't then I'll try something new. You know how it is!

Actually thinking about setting up an xBox or a PS3 operating system and seeing how it goes. Worth a shot right?

But yeah, basically, I'm Cathy... HEY! ;)

mihai

Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi all!

My name is Mihai and I'm project manager for a games/consoles manufacturer. I do program as hobby, creating tools for my field of work and also for personal use. I did some rocketry when I was a kid, but when I wanted to get into robotics I kind of failed - far too expensive in my home country.

Raspberry Pi rekindled one of my dreams, making robots, so I'm anxiously waiting for Christmas to pass and the delivery man to bring the little board. I'm sure the Pi will give me a lot of headaches as well as fun.

And I'm really glad to meet you all! I'll pester you with questions (warning: some really dumb) and whenever I can, I'll give feedback. :)

All the best,
Mihai

mang0

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:42 am

Here goes nothing.

Hey all! My name's Jacob, I'm 16 (as of just over a month ago!) and I live in South-West England. My "dream" is to become a 3D animator; next year I'm starting at college taking an animation course, along side various other things.
I play trombone in a jazz band, surf, cycle (road cycling), play tennis, basketball and a sport called tambourelli (google!).
I'm also very interested in technology, and always have been. As a young child, my Mum (graphic designer) had a Mac. I remember sleepily watching the little fishes screensaver from OS 8.something (or maybe OS 9...I can't remember). It's one of my first memories!

The very first computer I owned was an old Compaq laptop that a neighbour donated to me. It was my pride and joy; I upgraded it from Windows '98 to Windows 2000 (note: this was not when the OS was new [when I was four]. It was 200* when I did this), and I felt so proud of doing so. I began to learn HTML, and create very simple websites.

I then recieved my first proper desktop computer a couple of years later, running WinXP. It was second hand, but I didn't care - I had a computer!
Since then, it's been a non-stop fast track into the world of hardware, programs, and operating systems. I managed to get a virus on Windows XP that rendered the system unusable, so I tried out Ubuntu. I enjoyed it a lot, and since then I've progressed deeper and deeper into the world of Linux. I currently run my desktop (a box that I built this summer) on Debian Testing, and my laptop (not the compaq anymore - I've got this one on a sort of "permanent loan" from my stepfather) on Arch Linux.
Over the past couple of years, I've been dabbling in Python, learning bits and pieces as I go. I enjoy coding very much, it's actually a secondary career path I'm considering if my animation doesn't work out.
I was following the Raspberry Pi project from when it went public, with great interest. I really wanted a Pi but I never got round to buying one. This morning, I discovered Santa had brought one! Woop woop! I'm still waiting for the SD card to arrive, and I need to get an HDMI cable, but I've got power, and I've got pie! (No cake...the cake is a lie!)
I'm very much looking forward to having a play around on the Pi; as a long term project I'm thinking of making a simple fileserver and hosting a site on it, using all free services (no-ip domain).

This turned out a little longer than I expected, but oh well!
See y'all around!
-Jacob

tonyhughes

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:07 am

Hi, Im Tony, 36, living in New Zealand, and a bit of an 'all round geek' with no majors, but several minors including networking, hardware, telecommunications, mobile, and more.

Ex-moderator of http://www.geekzone.co.nz

Loving my RPi Model B R2, and acquiring a few more for various projects.

shifty1966

Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi there,

I'm completely new to Raspberry Pi, Linux and programming, so I'm about as much of a newbie as it's possible to get.

My wife got me a Pi for Christmas; I'm hoping to be able to use it to teach myself programming as I've fancied having a go at programming for years.

bugsy_malone 666

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:42 pm

Although I have already posted a few things I thought I'd make an intro!

I'm Dale (m/31), my username is something you'll find me as on other forums on the internet as my main interest is custom cars.

My g/f got me my Pi for my bday a couple of weeks ago as I have been raving about its potential since I stumbled across them when the first batch were on ebay as an auction!

Aside from cars I have grown up with the Amiga 500 which I used to love, tried programing then and got a little way but never got to far, moved onto PC's and ran through 386/486/x86s and currently have a pretty large once on my desk, but also have a few spare pc's so few years back started mucking about with linux, seeing how great a free product people can be when they work together to develope things. Earlier this year I bought an Arduino and have been working on what to try and use that for as I had an intention, Robots are kind of my thing!

For a Job my current 'title' is Mechanical and Electrical engineer, sounds fancy but I gained the title because of my skills with electronics/technical stuff/trouble shooting and abilities.

Hardware wise I'm pretty good, its programming I stil need to learn.

Hopefully I can help a little round here as well as asking some silly questions! :D

Insanitee

Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:43 am

Hello all,

My name's Robert and I'm from New London, Connecticut USA.

I've been messing around with computers since 1979 when I programmed (in MS-Basic v.1.1) some small Christmas program and brought our clunky home computer to 5th grade. The teachers and kids were amazed back then.

That computer was an Ohio Scientific Challenger 1P, a true obscurity these days and never had a big following in those early Apple ][ and TRS-80 days. Over the years we upgraded that with a doubling of RAM (from 4K to 8K!!!) (yeah you read that right, eight K!) and a hardwired joystick port (connected to the actual keyboard keys!) before moving on or up to TI-99/4A, Atari 5200, Commodore 64s, Timex Sinclair 1000's, and a Franklin Ace 1000.

Finally the PC era arrived in my house when I upgraded a 10mHz XT machine to a brand new 286-12mHz motherboard, and a really BIG Seagate 43MB hard drive. That machine could run DOS 3.3, and I banged out a lot of work in Wordperfect 5.0... such fun.

The PC's went through a million upgrades, always piecemeal, to the monster on my desk now with big video cards and more RAM than existed in the world in 1979.... all in a single box.

Now I've received a Raspberry Pi as a gift after hearing about them for months now. It's a fascinating little machine and I intend to figure what I can make it do. I haven't done much nuts-and-bolts programming in years, the closest thing being old style HTML for a couple websites lately. I don't even know all the terminology associated with Linux but I'll learn it.

Today was the beginning of the new adventure into Pi-Land. It's powered up and talking! That's a start!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa12 ... 121603.jpg

--Robert

amesbury

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi!

My name's Amesbury & I live in England (United Kingdom).

I've recently adopted Ubuntu to explore the wonderful world of linux. I was attracted to the Raspberry Pi & the Raspbian OS because the project looks like an interesting & fun way to increase my knowledge.

I enjoy travel & technology & I think the Raspberry Pi could make a good travelling companion!

sxepride

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 pm

Hi,

the name's Johannes. I'm originally hailing from Germany, but I'm currently living in Antalya, Turkey. I'm making a living as a webdeveloper and picked up two PIs for me and my girlfriend as little media centers.

But since I always wanted to get into Python aswell this might be a good opportunity to start. My knowledge about electronics and circuit boards isn't really great so modding the PI probably isn't the first thing I will do but I hope that I can at least be of some use to the community - and even if it's just by trying to help on the forums :)

jammydodger29

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:34 pm

Hey, my names Jamie and I come from just outside of Birmingham in England. I originally saw the Raspberry Pi in an IT lesson, when me and friend were checking websites for something to perhaps get for Christmas. Well, to cut a long story short I ended up getting a Pi, just as something to mess about on, and have set it up today to have a play on. I have no idea what I want to do with it and came here looking for ideas, inspiration and when the time comes help.

Hope this was a good introduction! :D

zlanj

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Zach and I am from Maine, USA. I have been playing with computers since I was a baby (seriously), I am currently in high school and am planning to go to university to major in Computer Science.

I decided to finally order my RPi yesterday with christmas money after expressing interest in it since it was released, I am excited to get it and start tinkering the second it comes!

tim_t

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:48 pm

hi im tim got mi pi for christmas, im a complete newbie and have no idea what im doing, my brother in law set up the sd card and did all those bit for me .... but now im stuck im even confused by the tutorials .... i dont know what to do!
atb
tim

BrendonShaw

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:53 am

I posted a couple of times and felt it was time to introduce myself, I am an engineering manager for an automotive engineering consultancy based in Essex. I remember getting my Acorn Electron and writing for hours the codes to create a game and I hope to teach my children the same using the RPi.

Though my career I have developed s/w & h/w and just like playing with new technology and I can see some many projects for the RPi. I have being use Arch and connected it up to one of our Atmel board to provide a simple data-logger and next step would be to integrate a GSM connection for remote vehicle monitoring, but this is my Sunday morning project.

As it’s becoming harder to find the right type of experienced engineers and need to use graduates to support our future business, but they need training, help & support. We are trying to establish an graduate training scheme and with that training I will find a use for the RPi maybe a mini automotive project.

We are working with a local school to replace they PIC development boards with the RPi, but it’s in the early stages but could be a good opportunity to understand what school need and how the RPi could be a benefit. I would like to understand more about using the Pi within education and if they is any plans to establish a common learning criteria.

It would be nice to use my experience & knowledge to help the next generation of engineers or children to see engineering as an exciting & rewarding career.

dineshah

Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:05 pm

H!

My name is Dinesh and I got my 1st Pi couple of days back!

I managed to boot Pi using - iPhone wall charger, Samsung Phone Micro USB connector, 2 GB SanDisk SD Card taken from my Nikon DSLR!

I use GNU/Linux on my desktop so preparing root image was easy.

I intend to use Pi as headless media center. Please advice how do I minimize the footprint of raspbian to bellow 1 GB?

Thanks and regards.

PS: Happy new year in advance! :-)
--
--Dinesh Shah :-)
http://dineshah.wordpress.com

DottUnfo

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:19 pm

Hi,
My name's Federico, i'm a italian computer engineer that loves robotics. So Here i am, waiting to find new uses for this wonderful machine! :)

rahivat

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:31 am

Greetings!
Myself Rahinder, Location India.
I am into software and do a bit of coding in Delphi (Object Pascal variant) language.
I am a newbie as far as Raspberry or any other hardware is concerned.
I have a passion for gadgets and own two mobiles,ipods,an e-reader & an Ipad.
But, I lost interest in buying already 'built' things.
I want to build my own Linux based sleek lightweight laptop which has an e-ink screen.
I hope to use Raspberry Pi for the same. But, I don't where to start or what to do :?
I am really wondering with my zero hardware background whether this is possible at all.

pwsoftware

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

I'm Paul, a semi-retired technology lecturer who has been working with computers since 1970 when I learnt Fortran as part of my engineering degree. I run a small part time business debugging dead PC's and Laptops, building specials and generally solving customers problems (with Windows and/or broadband links) I am composing this on win8 and have to say that after a year's experience of betas and pre-releases its a dream to :) use. However I have been using different Linux distros for 4 years to sort out people's software when Windows has failed. Today I set up my Pi for the first time without any great expectations because it seems to be having a bad technical press. It would not display using hdmi/dvi adaptor (I didn't expect it to) but booted up fine on my widescreen hdmi TV. After a few setup screens, looking very familiar, I rebooted and hey presto the desktop appeared. Bootup time was about 90 secs I guess, didn't time it but better than most XP bootups as everything worked immediately rather than the extra 2 minutes for anti-virus, skype, stupid animated desktops and all the other rubbish that PC's accumulate. Couldn't get the sound to work on hdmi or headphones but that's nothing new with linux, I'll sort it. I'm not forgetting that its an ARM CPU at 700MHz with 512Mb ram so its less powerful than a 12 year old Pentium 3 but the GPU is great. I want to use it for programming to work external devices, as I understand it that was the intention for schools all along. If you want an all singing all dancing graphics package then buy a cheap PC. Most of my electronics students from my old technology college (I left in 2006) would eat Linux programming and the low cost would appeal in case a few boards go up in smoke! I don't think that its suitable for under 10's though unless the system was set up by a technician or teacher, but you never know till you try. I'm happy and eager to get on, watch this space but be patient as I have to earn money as well. :|

BoneMill

Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 am

Hey there,

My name is Jay, and im a student in media technology at the high school in Rotterdam (The Netherlands). For christmas my girlfriend bought my a Raspberry Pi and i am really excited about what this little thing can do. I really wanna know more about the RPI, and i allready threwed Windows 7 from my computer and replaced it with the newest Ubuntu.
I really wanna learn more about Linux, the Commands etc.

Besides my love and passion for programming and hardware i also love to play guitar. I play in a thrash-metal band and also had the chance to record one single. I am a healthy person and allready quited smoking for 3 months now.

I hope i will make some good friends or partners on this forum, and hope i can call myself a guru in the future as well!!!!

Greatz!!

BoneMill

Eviltwin

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:48 pm

Greetings, my names Ed, just ordered everything I think I'll need to get myself into Pi ownership/tinkering.

Looking forward to getting my bits, then getting to grips with it all. The first projects I'm wanting to tackle are using the RPi as a single unit, cost effective way to incorporate both Airplay and Internet radio into my home media setup.

As I'm no Linux guru I feel I'll be asking a few questions on the way, but getting exactly what I want and doing it myself is always good for the sense of achievement.

WeUsePis

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi!
We are a father / son duo who each have a Pi Model B Rev 2 (512MB). My son likes playing with electronics and computers as well as programming, which makes the Pi THE perfect device as it is designed to foster such efforts. Son has the starter kit from Adafruit with the cobbler and the breadboard.
While I am interested in circuits and mechatronics I doubt I have the time to really get into it so I am more looking into using the Pi as general purpose computer and media center.
I also got the idea to document our adventures with the Pi in a blog which may be useful to others. The main point of our blog is to have a project to work on together, share our experiences, collect all the information we looked for and found, learn how to blog (never did this before), and have some fun.

I also want to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks to the Pi Foundation and its volunteers. You are just incredible! Thank you so much for giving the world an engineering marvel and a platform that gets young and old into or back into computing and electronics. Going by the growing amount of vendors for Pi accessories and peripherals you also gave a number of people an income. I am already convinced that the Pi and Arduino will share the top spot on the invention of the century list. I wish I could give you a big hug or at least shake your hand as thanks.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/

Return to “General discussion”