raspi

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi I am John from S London. Approaching 60 years old. I have been around computing all my life. My father used the Eniac IV that lived at BP research in Sunbury and I regularly watched it operate as a small boy while my father waited for the punched tape to spew out.

I am hoping the RasPi will be somewhat smaller and easier to handle than the large room that housed the Eniac IV. I suspect it is so.

Keep up the good work Foundation people - your country needs you and it seems so does the whole world.

e30andrew

Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:21 pm

Hows it going everyone?

I am Andrew and I live in the US, and cannot wait for my RasPi to arrive

I do tech support and CAD modeling for my job, but cannot wait to play around with this thing in my free time. huge Linux fan and cannot wait to jump in.

midget3376

Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:47 am

Hi!  My name is Brett and we live in the US.  I have a 13 year old daughter and we are going to learn Linux together.  We ordered our Raspi shortly after the first batch sold out.  We are really looking forward to getting to play with it.

The last time I did any programming was when I was in college back in the 70's.  Did a little in support of classes I was taking.  It's been a long long time.  I think it was Fortran.

I'm in the Nuclear industry and currently am a computer "user".  I think it will be good to show my daughter that there is something besides Microsoft.

xavplusplus

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:20 am

I'm Xavier, I'm studying cyber defense in college. I also have a huge love for linux. I would love to get one of these babies for my birthday this summer when the cases get made. I'll be using it to start making my linux goatee grow into a beard as well as get a handle on python. The other reason is I'd be able to take one of the machines in my pocket on a plane so when the thing crashes we have a computer on the desert island we're stranded on!

zapo

Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

Hello,

I am a computer science student at Vienna University of Technology in Austria.

For a long time I have been looking for a cheap device to serve as the center of a solar-powered home surveillance/control system with internet access via cellular network (3G).

Hopefully the Linux OS supports any of those usb modems

Dogs

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:16 pm

Hi im Dogs and im a raspiholic... its been 3 months now and im worried i might get back on the wagon soon.

Only joking Doubt anyone still reads this section anyway.

Well im really Kirk - IT Guy for a company that works across the UK.

I have no real IT qualifications - was thrown out of IT class at school for being disruptive (read bored out my skull) and after leaving school at 16, working in various jobs etc etc, i have now for the past 3 and a half years been working as sys admin supporting multiple servers, several hundred PC's and even more laptops.

I love to play around with open source content and advocate linux where i can to help improve networks and end user experience. I run some web sites off of hosted linux servers and am also active in the spiceworks community for ITPro's (though i do not count my self as one yet).

I am really looking forward to getting a raspberry pi so i can play with it and see if for once - in many years - i cant help develop something and give back to the community that has given me so much support over the years.

I also would love for my end users to be starting in the business straight from school - to know, understand and enjoy using linux instead of being hitched to the idea of MS Office. I think getting the Raspberry PI into schools and in the hands of kids will take away alot of the fear of linux for many users and in the end - the more users we have the more development time the open source community will get to have to play with projects.

for me - this is an exciting time.

Dogs

Jeff2

Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:35 pm

I've been hardware hacking and programming since the mid-80's.  I started with a C-64 computer and tape drive.  Later I added a floppy drive, printer, monitor and software which drove the cost of my complete system to over $2,000 US when adjusted for inflation.  A $40 computer for hacking (cost plus shipping to the US) is too good to pass up!

One of the coolest things I built for my C-64 was a relay board which plugged into the user port.  I wrote a program for it which would record and play back joystick movements which the relay board could use to control a (wired) remote control car.  My wife used it in 1991/1992 when student teaching elementary students to demonstrate "robotics".  The kids loved driving the car around and then watching the computer repeat the movements they taught it.

toymaker02

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:31 am

Hello Raspberry Pi community!

I'm a toymaker living in southern California.  My work consists of vinyl art, baby teethers, licensed product and app-cessories.

Lately I've been inspired by this little computer and have even made a case I'll be posting in the project area.

I look forward to everyone's feedback.

cesare

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:08 am

Hello Everybody,

I've been following this project since his early begins and now I can't wait for the shop to be back online! Do you have any way pre-order ?

meltwater

Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:37 am

cesare said:

Hello Everybody,

I've been following this project since his early begins and now I can't wait for the shop to be back online! Do you have any way pre-order ?

http://elinux.org/RPi_Buying_Guide has some detail you may need to know.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

VBT

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:56 am

VBT (vbtroubleshooter) here. I'm from Canada, web developer, tinkerer, and have been always interested in anything technical.

When I first saw information about the Raspberry Pi SBC on a site I was on, I'll be honest, it only looked like another computer toy to play with since the article didn't have much detail.

That changed pretty quickly though once I started to have a look around for more information and I realized it had way more potential than just a toy.

Having had some experience teaching at the College level here in Canada, I could immediately see how this could be a godsend if applied to the computer studies in our country which in my opinion is currently a bit lacking.

To that end I'm setting up a Canadian website for it to support your efforts with the platform, and no I'm not here to plug it. I'll post it up if requested by an admin, but otherwise that would be just bad form.

I'm looking forward to getting mine, it's supposed to be shipped hopefully this month so that I can put up some relevant content on it's use both for hobbyists and for the teaching profession over here.

I'll drop in from time to time and hopefully add some content here as well that you will like.

Zino

Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Hi, I'm Zino. In 1978 I programmed a Polymorphics Poly-88 (32k!) for the Ecology Exhibition in the Natural History Museum, London. I think it may have been about the first ever computer-controlled museum exhibit. Ever since 1983 (and Xenix on PDP11) I have been programmimg lots of different Unix-like machines, mainly in C. Ok yes, so now I am the dinosaur and belong back in that Museum, but before I go I'd like to taste some of that Rpi please.

Nurbit

Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Hi I'm Nurbit

I might write more later but for now, I'm at work and it's home time.......

haitek

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:13 am

Hi, I'm haitek, I will be the representative for r-pi in outback Australia, when mine arrives. I would be interested in getting a user group together down under. Let me know

zardoz99

Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi, I'm Zardoz, from the UK, male and in my mid 50's

I started off with a home build ZX-81 kit and have worked on a range of hardware and software since I started. An assembler programmer at heart I decided to gravitate towards system programming with an interest in comms. One of my first Z80 assembler programs was to convert the ZX-81 into an RS232 terminal. When the Acorn Archimedes first hit the streets I was an early adopter and eventually ended up with four of them, one of which had one of the very first Aleph-1 30MHz ARM3 boards in it to replace the ARM2. It looks like this > < You don't want to ask just how much I paid for it...

Not wanting to use up too much forum space, I'll skip the long history but I have been working with Linux since '91 when I first recommended it to my employers and was told "experiment with it and see if we can use it".  Well we do now...

I now install and support Linux HPC clusters, many of which are up there in the TOP500 listings.

teckNO

Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:23 pm

hi all,

im completly new to this all but got dirverted here by a friend. im looking into a new project thats sort of complicated so i shall be digging up the posts to see what i can find

robotmad

Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi I'm Chris (aka Robotmad) and like Zardoz (a few posts above) I loved my Acorn Archimedes and upgraded to the 30Mhz ARM3 too, I also went on to build my own expansion board to plug into the expansion bus and provide a flexible interface to many other hardware projects around the house.  I've tried to interest my kids in the Archimedes and the BBC Micro (also currently packed up in a box in the loft) with little success – I do hope that the Raspberry Pi, being seen as cool and contemporary, will catch their imagination and they will start to learn what lies underneath the games they love to play.

Being limited to only one Pi for now we'll have to share – but I can imagine needing several in future so they can learn to programme with them and I can use them as the basis of Antweight Robots, UAVs (if you don't know what that is then see diydrones dot com another fantastic open project) and much much more…

Frank1000

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:44 am

Hi, I'm occasionally participating in developing / operating exhibitions. So far one panorama exhibition about the first climbing of Mount Everest in the city of Leipzig / Germany in 2002, and another panorama exhibition about The Ancient Rome in Rome / Italy in 2005.

Ever since, alternately on the side or main project, I'm feeding my little portfolio of ideas / tech / operation / production / methods / etc. regarding exhibitions.

I got quite interested in Raspberry Pi, as I'm trying to find out if a mini-computer and respective programming can help me to feeding a Virtual Reality Head Mount Display (HMD) with position tracking with the according movie frames from a connected HD. Basically the movie scenery to watch through the HMD is pre-produced from all point of views that represent a feasible degree of freedom of positioning, e.g. spectator head turns, rotation, move body etc.

I'm not capable with electro tech and programming tech, though very interested and playing with it occasionally.

neilwar

Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:32 pm

Hi, I'm Neil

I'm older than I should be and got into computers because i am lazy - the BBC micro was way after my time.

Many years ago I got in touch with my brother (or was it the other way round?) after not having spoken to him for months and did what we always do - ie spend hours talking - it turns out we had both tried linux (both Red Hat as it happens) and both given up.

There are a lot of very clever people out there - but how to start?

I've created a boot Sd on a card i had - it's 2gb and I have no idea if that's enough.

I have no idea where to start - and if I don't, how are my kids going to get enthused? Where is the 'start here' page?

I am very capable on Win/Dos but have no idea how to get into Unix and want to learn - I am finding it very difficult to find out how to get started - and if I am I think others will as well.

Is there a beginners guide - that actually works?

I have no doubt this will be a success and would like to get up to speed before my kids do - where do I start?

Thanks

ace417

Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Stephen. I am a Network engineer for Richmond Public Schools in Richmond, Virginia. Currently looking for a RPi for personal use as well as one for testing in our schools environment. Hope to see good things come from this project!

qoncept

Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a little late to the party. I'm probably just about the only person whose ordered a Raspberry Pi and have absolutely no plans or even general ideas about what I'm going to do with it. But I couldn't pass it up.

I've been a software and report developer for the past 10 years. I start little side projects all the time that never get completed. I've been on a minor power efficiency kick recently. Can't really explain it — I'm not overly concerned about the Earth or even my power bill. But the one thing that always kills me is how people overdo their projects. Any time I hear about someone using an old computer as a server I have to let out a groan since most of the time they could do the same thing with a $10 router and OpenWRT.

Ideas that I've had that probably won't happen:

1. I've been thinking about making my own thermostat for the house for years. Connect via wifi, set up advanced programming and analyze detailed logs. Could even act as a hub for things like the wifi garage door opener I'd like to have.

2. HTPC. The problem with this is all of my experience with HTPCs has been much worse than with AppleTV.

3. Simple web server, torrent client, media server, or whatever I want my PC to do in the background that I don't need a big PC to do. The problem here is that I don't really need it.

4. Car PC. I'm really more interested in a good OTS head unit that will control an Android phone over BT at this point. As in, not having to touch the phone. I swear someone will make it eventually.

5. Garage/kitchen/bathroom PC. I have a laptop out there already and don't want to relegate something as awesome as this to such an undignified task. Maybe if I buy a couple more. And once again, it's completely unnecessary.

So I'll end up with a $35 paperweight with a ton of potential. What will I do?

phred

Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:49 pm

I've been phred online since the early 80's... before online was public... way back in my miltary comms days!

Nice to get in early and get my name back, i've been in IT forever, although i have an i7, I love the idea of OS's and apps being lean, we really don't need these supercomputers on our desks. Since I started to get huge elec bills, my goal has been to cut them back to nothing.

I want to use R-Pi's for:

- Car pc's, with all the fruit,also as

- media box's, simple low power

- projects at work

- toys at home, flying robotcopters

- anything else that sounds fun

MadHorseman

Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:29 pm

I’m a retired IT Guy, starting in 1975 with Cobol & Macro Assembler on ICL System 4 running BT’s own operating system.  First project was to program the Batch Suite
for a Payroll system which, at the time, was running on the last of the LEO 326
mainframes. Since those days I’ve been through a variety of systems and
languages (once accused of writing an unstructured program using a purely structured
language!), ICL 29XX, IBM43XX, 30XX, Apricot, Apple, HiNet, DOS/VSE, VM/CMS,
MVS/XA and probably other stuff I can’t remember.  Upgraded an early IBM PC in 1985 with 1Mb of memory and a second 10Mb HDD – wheeeeeee!!!!   Did MS-DOS fly!

I observed at close hand the introduction of Unix-based systems (at the time the Bleeding Edge of technology – backups?  Why do you want to back up your data???  Duh!). I guess they are better now.

Owned PC’s for ages (a Dan 486 SX25 at first), now build my own, and been through most Windows variants, plus a few Linux – currently have a couple of PC’s with Ubuntu installed as guests.  Android Tablet & Phone too.

Why a RPi?  Firstly as a cheap way to upgrade my TV for Internet usage, so I can show my wife some good info on the Internet.  However I’m betting that the day after I get it working strapped to the back of my TV the TV will blowough) up, then I will buy an Internet ready TV so the RPi will be moved to another as yet unspecified project!!

But keep the good ideas coming!

And the handle - ridden across Portugal for Charity (twice - once is enough for most people!)

trekkypj

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:30 am

Hi everyone. My name is Phil. I'm 28 and I'm an arts major.

I've been struggling with this for a long, long time, and it's time to admit to myself that I have a problem.

I can't program.

Unacceptable for a geek like myself who loves messing with PCs. I have put together my own PCs on and off for years and I enjoy gaming, both on PC and more traditional table top games and pen and paper RPGs.

I've decided I need intervention. So when my Raspberry Pi arrives, I intend to rectify the mistakes of a misspent youth and teach myself some basic computer science skills. Beginning with learning C and how to sysadmin a linux box.

Afterwards, maybe look at some more advanced projects.

Rather than trash my home PC, I want to use Raspberry Pi to teach these skills to myself.

Look forward to chatting with you folks.

kaos

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:20 pm

Having spent the last couple of hours crafting a supposedly-droll introduction I'm feeling just-a-bit-miffed at being informed that I failed elementary addition (since when does 8+7 *not* equal 15; I mean we are talking about decimal notation, right?), so this is the short version:

Cut my teeth on Sinclair ZX81, never aspired to the posh BBC, but used a QL as my workhorse for several years. Learned programming by the usual osmosis of entering magazine listings. Don't recall feeling as excited about a release of a new piece of computing equipment as I am about the Raspi since I first got my grubby mitts on that ZX81 .

--

Best regards,

Kári.

Return to “General discussion”