Brirky

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 pm

Hi everyone!!!

I´m Daniel, from Spain. I´ve been working with computers for the last 23 years, with dos, windows, linux and OSX, as a Systems Technician.

I´m a Mac user right now, but i keep an eye on Ubuntu too.

Hope Raspberry Pi, rebirth with old fashioned times , as a PIC programmer. I wanna rock the GPIO interface connector!!!!!

I´m gonna learn a lot from you. And help somebody else too!!!

Let´s get started!!!!

darkblackcorner

Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:57 am

Hi, I''m Ben and I like Pi.

</introduction>

Seriously though, I've been following rPi since news articles started appearing last year and I think its a really exciting idea!

I mostly develop software at the moment alongside tech-support stuff.

Can't wait to get my hands on that tasty Pi!

zalivalka

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Hi!

I'm zalivalka! I'm very interested in Pi, I love the idea and will probably first toy around with it a little and then maybe set it up as a XBMC server for our home TV, stream movies via the network from my media server.

I've come to this forum, to ask a thing or two about the raspberryPi shop.

Thx for making THE PI and cheers to everybody in the community!

rbirtles

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey,

Ricky from Sheffield. Been watching in the background for a long time now, an decided to join the forum. The Raspberry Pi is a great project. I want to congratulate everyone on the work they have done.

I plan on using the RPi to replace my Guru plug which is loud when the fans hooked up (yet can over heat if its not), for a media build / server

When they second lot go up for buying I may get the other half one to replace her as good as dead laptop until we have more funds - or build a custom PC for my little daughter to learn on.

QGazQ

Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:26 pm

So I thought I should probably register here since after 6am tomorrow I'll have a box of Rpis on its way to me, of which I'll put half on ebay and the rest turn into some kind of spam cluster.

Or maybe not, I will wake up and see what the announcement is but I'm under no illusions that it will be an announcement they are released, and if it is that I'll get one.  But still worth checking!

Initially I'll order 1 (as is the limit, and I won't try and circumvent with the fact I have at least 3 cards I can use with different addresses).  This will be to try out different distros that people produce and see what the power of this little guy is.  Ultimately I'd like to do some kind of home automation with one, but whether I'll get that far I don't know.  I do have a regular home server running, but might move some of the services on to this.

In time when there isn't a limited supply I'll probably buy a couple more, for TVs (as media centres), and depending on how the experiments go maybe some more for other purposes.

Good Luck everyone

Edit: Should probably mention, I'm a software engineer by trade so might get my hands dirty.  However I'm also a manager at an (community) online Radio station which takes a lot of my free time.

Regards

QGazQ

theKing

Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Keith here - lurking for a while and decided tonight was as good a time as any to post. Planning on using the RPi for tinkering with and learning a bit more about unix - been in IT for about 16 years and still a unix novice <eek>

crackedmember

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 am

Hi,

I am hoping to use the Pi to learn LINUX and also to get back into electronic interfacing.  Its cheap enough to replace if I manage to blow it up.

Seriously, I once managed to literally blow up a PC while I was trying to use it to automate a model railway.  There was a loud whump and flash as both the 01. Farad capacitors (the large ones) literally burst their shells and an acrid smell.  The motherboard burnt out near the power connectors and the memory chips.  The processor never worked properly again.  Somehow the video card and drives were not affected in any way.  The real surprise was that none of the fuses on the AC side of the power supply blew.  I never did get to the bottom of why it happened.

I have done several programming courses at degree and postgraduate level, but have never really had a job where I needed to do any programming,  mainly ending up stuck in some sort of accounts role,  although I have done some IT support. I am old enough to remember the introduction of the RM380Z into school as the first time to have seen or used a computer.

TODAY IS THE OFFICIAL LAUNCH OF WINDOWS 8, Is this a deliberate ploy by microsoft to divert attention?

jkcrawler

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:09 am

I heard about this close 6 hours ago from my communications manager. After looking into it I would like to start this off with xbmc and then move it into a monitor for my saltwater tank.  This way I can monitor the ph, temp, salinity, possibly the water level, and some other tank stats. It would be pretty cool to some how have a live stream of the tank also.

Boody

Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:31 am

Been lurking quite some time but never got around to registering. Now it seems launch is imminent I thought would be a good time.

Long time software developer with an interest in the hardware/embedded side of things. Looking forward to see what can be done with a Raspberry Pi that can't be done with similar priced hobbyist kit.

Jowata

Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:13 am

I'm Jowata,

I am looking forward to learning how to program. This device will help me in my goals of Programming, and to learn more about Linux in General. I'm not sure what my final destination in this programming arena will be, but hopefully I will be able to contribute in at least some small way..........

Thanks for all the Hard Work Raspberry PI team........... You may receive nasty tweets, but remember most of us appreciate what your goals are and we are driven to make this a very successful project not only for us, but others who are in need of a great learning device....

Jowata

laurenceculhane

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:20 am

Hi,

I'm Laurence.  I built my first computer back in 1980/81 when the head of the maths department at school wouldn't let me read the manual for the new PET they'd just bought.  I wanted to write a space invaders game.

I did, eventually, on an Z-80A based S-100 box - or should I say tin as the case was made out of two sheets of aluminium folded to fit together.  An enourmous 8K of RAM (4A @ 5V) and a homemade cassette interface on a piece of vero board.

I used to have to type the code to get that to work in hex everytime it crashed or the power went.  I think I still remember some Z80 machine code now!!

Things did move on but I remember wire-wrapping a VT100 compatible terminal and writing the code for it from scratch as a particular high point!!!! 50 odd TTL devices, a Z80 and a graphics chip!  Those were the days.

When I left university in 1987, maintaining an internet connection was top of my list.  I read Tanenbaums Minix book and bought a PC for it - then saw Linus's original linux post and wrote the SLIP driver for the kernel so I could maintain an early dialup connection.

I did a little more kernel hacking after that but work started to get in the way a lot.

I've tried to promoted Linux at the BBC and have managed to use it for a number of projects - e.g. all local radio stations have a linux-based audio recorder to back-up the various "official" systems which proved less than reliable at keeping a record of what was broadcast.

Looking forward to playing with the Pi - and trying to work out how to inspire my 3 and 6 year-old daughters to learn to fiddle with technology - when it doesn't come with a Disney Princess game already installed!

iOnThePi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 am

Hey... Im iOnThePi. Im new here, but not to the tech industry. I first started out with my Windows 2000 MCSE and was the only girl in the class. LOL! I am still in the minority, but that's okay. Its the same way at the poker table when I play. But, I like my odds.

Im excited about the Raspberry Pi, as Ive been watching it for a while now. Im stunned at how many other techies havent heard about it. If all goes well, I hope to order a few extra to give away to some of them.

As for how Im going to use my RasPi, well, that is still something Im mulling over. Im sure I'll add one onto my home network as well as letting my 2 daughters use one while I teach them about computers, and then see what they can do with it. I do look forward to sharing my experience and reading about yours, too.

Ploggy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:36 am

Hi. I'm Ploggy. I'm not going to lie, I know nothing about code/coding. I'm buying mine to take advantage of the inevitable flood of great Homebrew that's going to come in the the coming months/years for this little device. :p

Who knows. Maybe I'll pick up some skills down the line.

semtex

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:34 am

Hi everyone,

I grew up with an RML-380Z and a BBC Micro (I still have it!). I'm really looking forward to blowing the dust off my soldering iron and start exploring the embedding/interfacing possibilities of the RasPi and learning a "modern" programming language. Good times ahead

Snocrash

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi all,

First off......Gratz on the launch!!!

My first box was an old Com64. Loved it! Played with it till I broke it, then figured out how to fix it... Kept that poor thing around till I came up with enough money to have a buddy make an old corporate IBM 5150 PC "vanish" from a warehouse it was being held in before it was destroyed....  And that was it, I was hooked......

Been a battle for my time ever since between whatever electronics are sitting around the house and whatever motorcycle is sitting in the garage...(Bike usually wins in the summer).

Anyway, I am currently a Controls Engineer for the manufacturing sector here in the US. Managed to get my Pi ordered about 8 hours after the launch. Can't wait to get it and see what I can do with it.....

Thanks,

Sno

supra5mge

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:43 pm

Hello! I am Aaron

My online handle is Supra5mge. I am by no means a programmer, engineer or otherwise. I am a computer hobbyist and like to play around from time to time. I have been considering a dedicated multimedia computer for a while now. Once I learned of Raspberry Pi I knew it was exactly what I was looking for. It is also a great opportunity for me to learn some programming!

Looking forward to getting my hands on one and building a custom case for it.

Alkendi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi I'm Al

No-one actually calls me that though,  I'm a computer scientist who got started in the 1980s so yes I'm old.  I started programming on a Sinclair ZX80 and have been hooked ever since, although I've always been a geek really delighting in taking machines to bits seeing how they work and putting them back together (without the usual surplus screws etc. left over at the end)
The Mirror you fear to see yourself in

Alkendi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:06 pm

Hi I'm Al

No-one actually calls me that though,  I'm a computer scientist who got started in the 1980s so yes I'm old.  I started programming on a Sinclair ZX80 and have been hooked ever since, although I've always been a geek really delighting in taking machines to bits seeing how they work and putting them back together (without the usual surplus screws etc. left over at the end)
The Mirror you fear to see yourself in

thesws

Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Hello all,

Haven't had chance to read this thread in it's entirety yet (apologies - off to forum regs next!), so may or may not be the only one who's first Computer was a Dragon 32. My first memory of computers is of my mother telling me to run over to see my cousin's new computer - I'll never forget the anticipation of seeing his box room occupied by walls of lights and switches, only to find a zx-81 on arrival.

I discovered Raspberry Pi after building a few Mini itx machines, getting into Linux (ubuntu only, so far) and looking for ways to upgrade and/or downsize. When I was first informed about it, I was sold on 'credit card' and HDMI.

My background is Music Production and Sound Engineering, having studied Music Technology to degree level. I have managed various Music tech educational activities for young people in both Statutory and third sectors, working for Local Gov, Charities and numerous partnership projects around the UK and Ireland. Before that I used to deliver a weekly Internet Radio broadcast using Real Producer circa 1999-2002.

Currently learning openAL and Python and would like to see the potential for making a cheap (and portable) alternative to Akai MPC type sample and sequencing devices, using RasPi.

fastkat

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:16 pm

Hi all,

Been dabbling with computers since the ZX80. Oh what could be done with just 1k RAM! Commodore 64 was great for learning BASIC. Messed about a bit at college with robot arms as part of an engineering course. Most recently I have a basic understanding of C, HTML, JavaScript. I am hoping to get a better understanding of programming through this forum both for my own interest and also to help my son in the future.

Graeme

TheSparky

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi, I'm Ady.

I've been working for the government (working at Rutherford Appleton Laboratory), for the past 26 years, doing various different electronic and electrical projects. I have been lucky enough to have worked on many interesting jobs, including:

Working out in Cern on the CMS detector on LHC (helping with the design of the end-caps).

Designing and building HV power supplies for various satellites (SOHO, Cluster), and various other jobs on other satellites (AATSR, MIPAS)

Working with very high energy lasers.

Designing and building Neutron detectors and X-ray detectors.

I am currently working for Diamond Light Source Ltd. which in an X-ray synchrotron (on the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory site), and have been involved in many different areas of research, from looking at bits of the 'Mary Rose', to examining artificial hip joints.

I am not super smart or anything like that, I have just been lucky to work with some good people who are.

I have always been interested in the digital side of electronics and have recently been trying to find uses for PIC chips in my work. I have managed to find uses for some on certain projects that didn't really need them, I just wanted to have a play...

As soon as I read about the Raspberry Pi I knew I needed one, and the PIC chips will have to be put to one side, if I can ever manage to get my hands on one of these elusive little blighters.

Cheers.

NASberryPi

Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:40 pm

Evening everyone,

Just wanted to say Hi.

I'm Ashleigh, I work as a SharePoint and security consultant during the day, and hack devices in my off time (Android is a big friend of mine)

I've pulled a bunch of my fellow admins and Developers along with me for our little project (NASberryPi)

Anyhow, hi everyone, and if I can help just ask

kism3t

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi,

I am a network manager of 8 years at a secondary school in the Midlands UK, I have been following the RPi for around 6 months and counting down the days until launch (Sorry to my wife about going on and on about it) and for not shouting at me when my alarm was going off at 5:40!

Well we have been running a programming club at our school for a couple of months now for pupils to come at lunch and after school to start learning to program ready for when we can hopefully get a few RPi's in our school. We have over 50 pupils sign up so far and to be honest I am really enjoying teaching them along with a few other staff in our own time. I am very excited for the pupils to see and start playing with these! The initial interest we have had has been very positive.

I use Linux everyday at work and home and program in Python, C++ and Java so cant wait to get my hands on a Pi and start making stuff, both personally and professionally.

Im thinking the first thing I would do is replace a netbook that controls my Arduino powered LCD door sign for our ICT department office, why not have it replace our helpdesk server as well, along with many other things

Ian.

spoolboyy

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:20 pm

Hey,

I'm Adam.  I develop software in Java at work and in Java and/or Python (and sometimes Jython when I'm feeling saucy) at home.

I'm very excited about RasPi and can't wait to get my hands on one.  Nice to meet everyone.

- Adam

toctel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:59 pm

Hi,

I'm looking forward to getting a RPi when the initial dust has settled.

I wish RPi the best of luck.

I hope RPi can become as commonplace as biro's and lightbulbs.

Even if things don't go wonderfully, RPi has promoted the idea of a return to comprehensible computing . That in itself must be worth something

Return to “General discussion”