osropa

Re: Introduce yourself!

Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:26 am

Hi

My name is Oscar Rodriguez and I'm 35.

I'm creating a non-official community in spanish language for Raspberry Pi (http://www.raspberrypi-spanish.es)

I'm computer programmer and electronics buff. I have a blog (in spanish too) http://www.sistemasorp.es

I live and work in Madrid, Spain.

My objective is to share and spread as much knowledge as I can. I think to share and to teach are the tools for evolve our society and the base for new developments that makes our life more easy, nice and safely. Regards.

fpierfed

Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:29 pm

Howdy!

I am an astronomer/software engineer. I work on NASA space missions, including GALEX, HST and JWST. I am also interested in robotics and a complete newbie at it.

I mostly write Python nowadays and I am learning OCaml. I used to write C, perl and FORTRAN, which is not as bad as people say

I am Italian but I have been living and working in the US for the past 9 years. I am so looking forward to playing with the boards!!!!

adrianrly

Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:28 pm

Hello!

I'm Adrian, age 22, from Romania. I'm a senior student at Faculty of Electronics, Computers and Communications. Currently unemployed, I "play" around with technology to prepare for whatever career path life will give me the option to apply to after collage.

I use C# and PHP along with Arduino to make interesting projects for school and to make my/others life easier or lazier.

I also have some experience with MatLAB and fuzzy logic and I used ASM a few times to develop some projects on Z80 and 8051.

On the electronics side… the iron is my friend.

I'm looking forward to get 2xRPI. One to make a home server for software/hardware development and the other one to rig my old '89 Volvo with some cool stuff.

My respects to the team behind this project! The time you sacrifice into this is very appreciated from this side! I've put at your disposal a FTP account to pay my contribution.

Cheers!

Shaan

Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 pm

Hi,

Im Rafi Shaan, research student at Lancaster university, bits, bytes n colours are my passion. Im interested in playing with machines and systems

lizardman

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 am

Hey!

I'm Phill, a University of Washington (Seattle) student in discrete mathematics and algorithms with a computing background. I'm versed in C, C++, Java, Matlab, Python, Prolog, and web languages.  I've been a linux and open source supporter for about 7 years now and looking to do some more open source and embedded development.

I'm really excited to see the R-Pi come out. I plan to use it as a media player at first and hope I can contribute to getting XBMC running smoothly on it. After that, who knows where to start!

My thanks to the R-Pi team for their hard work!

Beenay25

Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:58 am

Hi all,

Really excited about getting my hands on a Raspberry Pi.

I'm probably going to rig it up with two usb cameras, gps and a mobile connection and then fit it to my motorcycle.

benbojangles

Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:20 am

Hi, I'm Ben. I make magic happen.

KeesM

Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 pm

Hi all,

I'm Kees, a computer hobbyist from the Netherlands. Creating my first computer around 1980 (based on the Motorola 6809, great processor). I have been playing on the hardware/software border since. Want to see my first computer? Visit my my first computer page (sorry, in Dutch). Recently playing both with more high-end Linux-based systems, but also with small 8-bit processor (ATtiny).

And now comes the RaspberryPi. On one hand, I want a replacement for my NAS (NSLU2), which gets a bit outdated (yes, I know I can buy complete systems like pogo, but want to do it myself) and overloaded due to the packages it is running. On the other hand, I like some experimenting with the I/O, and the RaspberryPi seems to have handy GP IO pin access. Still need to check if I2C is available (my Philips bakcground shining through?).

And maybe need a media streamer also, so might well end up with a batch of RaspberryPi's on the long term (but let's first try to get just one...).

Thanks to the team, but also all (to be) contributors!

Rava

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:38 am

Hi,

I am Rava (that is on most sites my screen name, and even some RL friends call me by that name now)

Linux User since mid 1998 Linux User (started with SUSE 5.2... and just now read on wikipedia that Suse was at the beginning more a German translation of SLS and Slackware... and now I am with Porteus - porteus.org - a Slackware Based x86 and x86-64 Live Linux with highly compressed modules. It is the communities derivative of SLAX, since that stopped development for over a year back then, and it started as Slax remix first...

Now I am thrilled to see what the raspberry pi can do for me, and if I manage to  use it as router and media server...

But I have to admit: so far I never used a ARM system, never installed such a Linux...

1ne2woBe

Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:58 am

Well, I am into computers, however not enough to know enough (and probably never will be)! I would most likely be the one type of person whom most within these boards to be least liked. Due to my lack of 'real' computing knowledge, I do have my (VERY knowledgeable) buddy build my HTPC's for me as I trust him with my money and his experience as well as knowledge. With that said, I do learn everything as he builds and I purchase LOL. I do have mainly one purpose for this little RPi baby, and that is to make a nice simple HTPC out of this little work of genius. Prior to this beauty being released, I have learned quite a bit through the forums and research about ARM, as well as Linux (which I have never needed to know before hearing about RPi). It certainly is great to get out of the 'norm' from dealing with windows after so many years. I STILL have not even dealt with Apple, although I never really needed to thus far within my lifetime from phones, tablets, notebooks, etc (blah blah "I" blah).

So… I doubt I'll able to contribute anything valuable within these boards, nor the basis on what this wonderful contraption is attempting to achieve for the public, as well as education. All great causes, and I hope for the best! Only thing I believe I'll be able to 'help' modify would be the casing, as I have quite a bit of colored acrylic sheets (leftovers from a company I used to own) that I plan on using to build my own custom box's. I suppose you could say I am more of an aesthetics type of person. However, aesthetics are useless if the performance does not uphold the duties expected.

Oh, BTW… Don't mind the stupid user name. Google all you want. You mostly may find either dating sights, or OverClockers and the like LOL. Was a stupid name given when life was 'good'. Though times may be hard in the world today as we try to continue to keep our houses, cars, and still purchase a $35.00 piece of equipment not knowing how it may turn out in the end, but glad it may help others, and perhaps teach ourselves as we tinker with it.

Thanks for reading, and great to meet you all!

Eth

Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:59 am

Areet !

- Ian

- 40*ahem* something years old.

- C# dotnet programmer but don't hold that against me.

- Pisces.

- magnetic but don't hold that against me.

ceteras

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:07 am

Hi,

I'm Vasile, 35, living in Romania, father of two kids (5 and 10).

I hope the RPI will be for them an amazing discovery, just how the Sinclair Spectrum clones (and the Z80) were for me when I was 14.

As for me, I hope to have the chance to use the Pi for creating all kinds of mobile devices (and maybe, learn some real good programming).

And an interesting fact: my wife works at a company called Pi Software. They're making web pages, so far, but wait till the RPI arrives! ) .

Thank you!

EnglishRob

Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:12 am

Hey folks,

I'm Rob from Torquay.  I've been lurking on the forums for a while and figured it's probably as good a time as any to join the forums and join in with the fun.

I'm a computer technician and by day I work in Windows support which is pretty cool but in my spare time I'm a big Linux geek and actively involved with my local Linux User Group (well maybe not as much as I used to be due to some family issues which have only just been resolved).

In my spare time I enjoy tinkering about with computers and I'm a big retro fan (I love old computers and consoles, at the moment I have a small collection, but I'm always on the look out for old kit to play with, especially things like the old 8-Bit and 16-Bit computers which I grew up with).

I also help out with a geek blog called ProudGeek which a friend of mine setup.  The content is a bit sparse at the moment as the three of us working on the site have all been busy, but we're hoping that we can add more content in the future (and maybe blog about the Raspberry Pi).

I guess like everyone else on here, I'm really excited about the Raspberry Pi and I'm looking forward to introducing my daughters (who are 11, 9 and 5) into computing (I think my eldest will be interested in the Gert board and making simple circuits and my middle daughter might be more interested in the programming side, and my youngest, well she just loves Tuxpaint).

Rob

cesarcardoso

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:17 pm

I'm Cesar, a 38-year-old sysadmin from Brasília, Brazil. Interested in the Pi since day one, but only now in the forums =)

Looking at the Pi as a vehicle to have some good ol' computing fun - programming, working, HTPC or just plain being cool with the coolest computer on Earth.

Mark Kelly

Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi all,

My name is Mark Kelly(that's my username as well) I am 40 years old and have never written a line of code in my life. When I heard about the rpi i got very excited. I have always wanted to learn how to program and I think that this is going to be the way to do ti. Can anyone suggest a starting point for me.

int21h

Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:44 pm

Hi,

My name is Artur and I'm computer geek and novice maker. Been playing with different computer architectures since I remember and I unscrewed my first PC in 24 hours from its purchase.

I'm excited by possibilities Raspi offers and plan to use it for projects and as secondary computing platform. Fact, that almost every alternative os like Haiku, AROS or RiscOS are going to be ported to Raspbery is just silver lining.

Did little bit of coding in ancient times, and looking forward to revisit skills forgotten.

DGH94

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:16 pm

Ty here.

17 from US, I plan to create a little laptop from the rpi so I don't have to lug my MacBook around. Mostly going to use it for light web surfing, jotting some notes down, and coding. Hopefully there's a way to compile/run Java through Fedora (Would Dr. Java/Eclipse run on it?).

Anyway, for my screen, I was wondering if something like http://shop.4dsystems.com.au/l.....-9010.html would work. Anyone know?

rpural

Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:46 pm

Hi; My name is Bob, and I'm a Systems Engineer for a modest Medical clinic in Minnesota (you've heard of it). The Ras-Pi caught my interest (and serveral other folks here) and we're waiting to be able to order them at this point, and see what we can do with them.

I've been programming since the early 1970's, and have been involved in Linux for quite some time. (I have a Linux Devleoper's Resource 4-CD set on my desk still, dated March 1995). I started in FORTRAN and COBOL (and ALGOL for you Brits), and currently use Perl, Python and Objective C. It's been quite a ride.

I can't wait to be able to experiment with the Ras-Pi and see what it can do. Hopefully, I can do something to contribute to the educational aspect of the project, either locally or through the efforts here. Time will tell.
--
Bob Nix
nix@earthling.net

TerminusWeaver

Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:01 pm

My name is Jeff, and I started out way back when with a Commodore Vic-20 and a cassette deck. Then it was quickly on to a Xerox 820 running CPM with 8" floppies.

I then ran the Logical Stupor BBS from our dining room, which was all about cryptography. It had it's own phone line. I was cool.

Since then I have worked supporting Windows NT Server as a Microsoft outsource partner back in the 90's (NT 3.5, 3.51 & 4.0). I got to visit Redmond and Bellevue Washington at that time, getting a glimpse into the MS world - no thanks.

Now I work for a large transit authority, dragging around an under-appreciated degree in Economics. I am not in IT, though I deal with them on a daily basis (no offense intended).

I have stacks of CDs burned with various Slackware versions, but now play almost exclusively with Mac OSX, which gives me a pretty interface, with a very nice command prompt.

I'm married to a very tolerant (needless to say) wife. I can translate techno-babble into English for her, so she keeps me around.

I also weave, mostly in silk, and very soft wools. Life is too short to deal with coarse yarns. And I dabble in just about everything (bicycles, BMW motorcycles, sea kayak restoration, jewelry-making, community gardening...) It's all interesting to me, which is partially why I'm here.

And what a great idea this is! Getting these machines into the hands of kids is brilliant. We need more people thinking like you all.

Jeff

dilligaf1701

Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:19 pm

Hello,

Just a quickie to say hi

There's not much interesting to say about me.

I read about the Pi last year and am hoping to build a small accessible pc that I can carry around with me (As I'm registered blind).

Dilli

AlArenal

Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi, I'm Alex from Germany!

I started computing in the glorious days of C-64, Atari ST, Amiga, etc. I would have loved to own a Acorn A3010, but could not afford it that time when I was short.

Currently I'm working as an SEO, Drupal CMS developer and Linux admin. I'm not sure right now what I'm gonna do with my Pi, but I like the idea to buidl a robot, maybe a couple of robots and let them communicate wirelessly to co-operate. I don't know if I have what takes to do it, but I'm giving it a try.

I also love the idea of cheap but capable device for everyone, giving them access to the internet, etc.

From time to time I blog about the RPi on my personal weblog. Time will tell what it's good for. At least I try to spread the word.

Al

astronomypete

Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Hi All, I'm Pete from the UK.

I've spent 18 years working in IT, 30 years if you could repairing spectrums when I was 9.Helpdesk, Road Techie, and IT Manager. After my recent company I worked for exploded in a mess during the recession, I've struggled to find a new job, having never been out of work for more than 2 weeks, this recession has come as quite a shock.

The biggest feedback I've had when apply for Technician jobs is, "You've been a manager, this jobs beneath you." Good grief, I could do it with my eyes closed. ARGH!!.

When I apply for managers jobs they say you haven't got a degree so you can't be a manager. (despite 6 years experience of being one)

So to remedy the situation I'm now at Staffs Uni studying and helping the other students, and I'd like to go on to be a lecturer, at uni or further education. I'm in my first year and finding it quite boring. Not because of the lecturers. They're great, but because the degree is aimed at an introduction for business. Not a long time experienced IT Guy.

The Raspberry Pi quite excites me, as to its potential to get into schools and make a cheap programming tool to introduce kids to the world of programming at a much earlier age than degree students.

wocket

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:22 am

Hi I'm Rod from Sunny Queensland Australia.
I'm currently a senior (Old) Network engineer working for a major Telco for some time. In the past I was in the RF electronics game, repairing two-ways and mobile phones (when it was worth it).

My 1st PC was a Dick Smith Super 80 kit (Still better than my school's single TRS-80). Then to IBM clone when I got my 1st job, then more and more PC's. Ham radio is my other vice and puting the two togeter is an other hobby (APRS and the like). I'm a big fan of the XBMC project and cant wait to try to replicate the video on the front page with a Rasberry Pi. I have already loaded Ubuntu and QEMU on a PC that I have in my office for the grandchildren. (Like me they will just have to learn linux and play G-Compris)

I've been asked: Why wocket ? I have always been known as Rocket-Rod so when PC's and BBS came in to my life i need a username. The was 100's or rockets and my mate little girl could pronounce her "'R's" ... You get the picture.....

joe887

Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:48 am

Hi. I"m Joe. I currently have a MacBook and just before Christmas I came across an article on google news about R-pi. This got me really excited and I have been looking forward to release day ever since. I plan to use the R-pi to hook up as a small desktop with my monitor so that I don"t have to plug my MacBook into t all the time.

MozOz

Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:13 pm

Hi I'm Moz

I am looking at using the Raspberry Pi device as a sip device.

Return to “General discussion”