gm8oti

Re: Introduce yourself!

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:55 pm

Hi all, like others recently I came across this from the BBC report. Wonder why I've not found you before?

A retired (astro)physicist with interests in the technology, I've got back into amateur radio in my retirement and would intend to use one of these beasts in amateur radio applications. I build my own radio gear and can think of plenty uses for the RaspberryPi.

I run mostly Linux at home and have also been using PIC microcontrollers; I bought an "mbed" (http://mbed.org/) - also ARM - intending to use it for software defined radio stuff. The RaspberryPi would probably be handier for some experimental uses; I can't wait to get my hands on one.

Hope to be able to share what I do with one in due course.

v12cat

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi. I'm Alan, a mere farmer and contractor who was at just the right age for the first wave of computer technology. ZX81, Spectrum then Tatung Einstein (anyone remember them!). Wanted, but couldn't afford a BBC!!

PC's revolutionised computers but seemed to draw the interest in hardware and programming out of me. I think they have for many. The whole scene now seems to revolve around corporate giants and their offerings. School ICT classes are limited to use of software. My 13yr old can handle Powerpoint like a pro but has no comprehension of why it works or where it came from. IMHO it's two subjects now not one, and the second isn't even taught.

This project takes me back so much and has re lit my interest, so what it will do for eager young minds must be staggering.

cfd

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:48 pm

I love the idea if this Strawberry Pi, and if it had VGA I'd get one straight away. It reminds me of the first microcomputer I ever got my hands on back in 1976 - Motorola's 6800 D2 kit - which had a hex keyboard and display, and stored programs on a cassette recorder, and had all of 256 bytes of RAM (which was soon upgraded to 512 bytes). You had to write all the code in hexadecimal machine code (no high level language like C).

Canuck Hanger

Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:27 pm

I'm another exPat who's been watching RasPi with interest for some time. I'm a Primary School teacher who's used Acorns since 1982, and now I'm responsible for Technology Integration JK-Gr6 at Collingwood School, West Vancouver, Canada. 2012 is going to be a great year!! Happy Christmas to all! Best wishes, Paul :)

mythicbeast

Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:56 pm

Raised on chemistry sets and Lego, trained as EE, worked in Avionics and medical devices, converted to public health, slid into clinical medicine and reverted to my tech roots.  A late bloomer with email -- didn't use it until 1981. Do volunteer work for federal agencies (some cyber), work for an email host and write content for online cybersecurity courses.  Desperately miss my hardware roots. Looking for full-time work to support what will likely become a pi-eating habit. 

MikeL

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi - Mike, another interested DIYer who's been watching Raspberry Pi through 2011 and now can't wait to put an order in !

Brought up in the UK on ZX81, Spectrum, BBC et al, I miss the old days of dissecting code! Have dabbled with Linux on a personal level for some years, usually 'cos I have old hardware and refuse to upgrade (even my G4 iMac!)

Have had a burning desire to turn an old ZX81 shell into a more modern PC. The Raspberry Pi will suite -and fit- perfectly.

So interested in this project, even more so that Mr Braben is involved. Elite emulated? Now there's a thought...

Happy 2012 everyone

sp00n

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:27 pm

Hi guys, i am Ivan, i am a electrician by trade, but i do alot of PLC programing.

I built my very first PC back in 2001, 1Ghz amd :)  i have tried computer programing a few times but i have never had much luck. so when i spotted this i became very interested, as i can think of many applications, where a full size PC is too much and a PLC isnt enough or cost prohibitive etc

Looking forward to actually buying one and having a play :)

devnull

Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:25 am

Happy christmas all

Served a mechanical engineering apprenticeship in Taunton, first computer was a zx81 ( let eggs=81 ), spent my early years in the west country, worked for a defence company in r&d as an electro-optics development technician, was seconded to Singapore for 6 months in 1990 for a technology transfer project, and have been here ever since.

Started a small business here in 1995 to help local manufacturing businesses become more productive through real time software solutions, and more recently have developed sold and implemented our own hardware and web/Ajax data collection solutions.

Got into micro controllers about 10 years ago, and always seem to have half a dozen projects on the go, have no formal electronics education and struggle a bit with anything except simple analogue stuff!

Enjoy hacking, not destructively of course, but improving or adapting existing technology to work better or differently from what it was originally designed to do.

Am definitely a member of the grumpy old man club, not so much grumpy, but less tolerant to certain stuff, especially anything involving driving,

Really looking forward to the release of the pi.
> /dev/null 2>&1

mole42

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:03 am

Hi, I'm mole42 and have been mole on-line since the latter part of the last century. IRL I respond to Richard.
I started programming in 1978 or so, using a NASCOM kit computer. I was employed hacking Japanese video games for American hardware. This was in the days when you had to put a coin in a slot to play the game. My favorite was rebuilding Donkey Kong to run on Galaxian boards..... I got to know quite a bit about the Z80 instruction set back then.
I am pretty excited to get my hands on an R-pi. I still have the NASCOM but it has a hard disk drive (wow! 5Mb!) and too many hacks these days. Something simple that I can get to grips with at command level sounds just the thing for my middle-aged brain.
Oh, and I want to develop a solar power supply. That's my business these days, solar PV, so a little photovoltaic box to run the R-pi shouldn't be too difficult. Well, it'll be easier than nuclear or hydrogen cells......

fab

Sun Dec 25, 2011 6:12 pm

Bonjour,

Je suis Fabien, j’ai 26 ans et je vis dans le sud de la France.

Je suis ingénieur en informatique et programme 99% de mon temps en Java EE (java, SQL, JSF, swing jboss, etc…).

J’ai découvert votre projet via le site clubic (http://www.clubic.com/ordinate.....ction.html).

J’ai hâte comme tout le monde d’avoir le joujou en main. Pour le moment, je ne sais pas encore à quoi je vais m’en servir, à part réduire le bruit insupportable de ma tour actuelle.

Voici la liste de mes PC:

Thomson T08 (j’ai appris à lire pour coder en basic )

Pentium 1 Windows 95/ 97

Pentium 3 Windows Millenium

Amd Windows XP

Intel QuadCore Windows Seven  (Vista).

Joyeux Noël à tous.

---------------------------------------------------

Traduction (Sorry for the mistakesssss)

Hi,
I’m Fabien, I'm 26 and I live in the south of France.
I’m a computer science engineer and program 99% of my time in Java EE (Java, SQL, JSF, Swing jboss, etc ...).
I discovered your project reading Clubic (http://www.clubic.com/ordinate.....ction.html).
I can’t wait, like everyone else, to have the toy in hand. For the moment, I don’t really know what I'm going to do with it, except reducing the noise of my current PC.

List of my PC:
Thomson T08 (I learned to read for coding in BASIC)
A Pentium Windows 95 / 97
Pentium 3 Windows Millennium
Amd Windows XP
Intel QuadCore Windows Seven (Vista).

Merry Christmas everybody

mjs_mjs

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:26 pm

hey there,

Matt from kent -

I'm a maths undergrad with an interest in computing and all things. I will be writing (or aiming to) a program that can be used for auto running of video (eg in a tv studio) and also for information screens.

I came across this project while researching on arduino and will be posting my inventions along with code and what they're for on a website in the future.

Also looking into using this board to run an interface for a lighting console.

If you'ld like to get involved please get in touch.

Matt

luckyrookie

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi I'm andy I found out about raspberry pi from bbc news and been addicted since.

It reminds me when I was a kid and I had a zx80 in kit form I can't wait until the raspberry is available.

Something to tinker with

lokii

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi, I am a mechanical engineer, and all of this computer stuff is a little bit like witchcraft to me.

However due to a project I am working on I have to learn the dark art of computers.

The RaspberryPi looks like it will answer a very big problem I have in the project, and I am looking forward to testing it out.

Cheers

Chris

cjb

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:40 pm

Hi

I'm technically an engineer, (studied Aerospace Eng -Graduated 2009).  University got me into Free Software, though recently I've been lax with engineering and Free Software.

That said, I feel I just need a good project to get myself doing both again.

skylonrow

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:45 am

Hi i'm Ben and I'm 16 and studying 'IT' at school.

I have a deep interest in computers, I know a fair few programming languages and this project is dear to me. Computing in schools is utter rubbish, and I'd really like to see this pushed to schools, I'll certainly be pushing it at my school.

Looking forward to getting a Raspberry Pi on release and getting my hands stuck in.

larsth

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:58 am

Hi. My name is Lars Tørnes Hansen, and i live in Northern Europe, Denmark.

I has a bachelors degree in engineering in Technical Information Tecnology and embedded systems.

I am looking forward to use RasPi for

Linux kernel developing
create robots
a star navigation system, wich is using pulsars (rotating neutron stars) as lighthouses. It is to be used in a spacecraft in deep space.

sipayne

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:21 am

Hi Eben and team,

My name is Simon Payne and I'm a programmer working for a mapping company in Cambridge (UK).  I work mainly with Java/J2EE/Web Services/enterprise tier software. So this is a bit different from what I usually do, but I must admit I am excited about it, both as a potential new platform for computing with Linux, and for the possibility of simplifying my home TV arrangements.

I also have overseas links with some communities in West Africa, where the teaching potential of the device, with its low cost especially, could be of great significance to schools who have very limited financial resources.

I would like to pick one up once they are available for purchase, and see where it leads from there.

thanks and well done!

Simon

Joules

Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi, I'm Joules

I cut my computer teeth on the Apple II. Guess I rate as an original geek, but I learned so much from that machine in regard programming (Basic and 6502 Assembler code). Blowing up and repairing my Apple was also part of the fun. I saved up for two years to buy this machine in 1982. I eventually became a computer engineer at a local University for 13yrs till the end of component level repair. I didn't want to be a manager...

Yes, I feel the same excitement about the Raspi as I did about my long gone Apple. Just hope I can learn to program again. Please have some sort of basic... I now support my other half who teaches IT, to experts and beginners from 18-80yrs old. A lot of these people would love to control a computer at low level. The old "Hello World" and flashing a light on and off still ignites a great response on young and old faces as they gain control over a computer and lose some of the fear of the magic machine. How much we geeks take for granted dealing with the none IT literate. We also teach arts and crafts, so a very varied portfolio we have.

Outside of computers I love engineering, radio control models, but mostly that is by using computer controlled machines 8-) and a whole load of other interests.

fangzobini

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi to all

I wanted a new project/hobby for 2012 and this is ideal. My first computer was the Dragon 32, then a massive jump to the Amiga 500 then Amiga 1200. After that the move was to PC's. With each move the level of programming dropped. I'm looking forward to this being launched so I can start from fresh.

Duncan
The user name courtesy of Monty Python

Farldarm

Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 pm

Hobby computer and electronics enthusiast for decades.  Started with my Commodore VIC-20 in the 80s along with TRS-80 and APPLE-II computers at school.  Worked my way up through a home-built S-100 BUS Z80 based machine and into the world of UNIX systems and IBM Mainframes in the military then off to universe of Amiga and then x86 PCs.  Currently I am a 100% linux user at home and have been microsoft free for 6 years.  I work with a lot of microcontroller systems based on AVR, PIC, 8051/2, and ARM processors.

I have been following the R-PI for about 6 months now and think it will be a fun board to play with once I can get my sticky little fingers on a couple of them.  Wifey wants me to put one in her chicken coop as a coop-controller with cameras and door controllers hooked to it.  I want to build a couple of lookie-talkies from them.  ((Lookie-Talkie is like the old walkie-talkies from days of old but with camera and display.  Yeah yeah, I know, just use a smartphone...but not as fun as building one for myself.))

sjs73

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi all,

I guess like a lot of people here I started getting interested in computers in the early 80's when I was given a second-hand Atari 400. It didn't come with much, other than a Basic programming language which I learnt and used to develop some simple games and utilities. I also dabbled in interfacing and had fun using the computer to interact with other things. I next got an Atari ST and finally PCs. With each step, my level of "real" interaction waned and I felt increasingly distanced fromthe heart of the machine. I'm hoping that the raspberry pi gives me something to get my teeth back into.

I work as a university academic now and aside from my personal interest I am interested to see how we might use this as an educational tool both for teaching basic elements of computing and for control projects.

Stephen.

g3sna

Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi All,

I have been involved professionally with computers and their semiconductor components since 1968 In 1982 I built a ZX81 from a kit and programmed it in Z80 code by hand (no assembler - had to work out the relative jumps myself) Since then I have owned a BBC Micro and an Archimedes and then several PCs. After messing with Microsoft software for a long time I migrated to linux. First using Mandrake and now Ubuntu. I have done a lot with linux and count myself as moderately competent. I'm looking foward to getting my hands on one of these little beauties.

Stuart

RichardN

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:07 pm

Hi All,

I'm Richard, and hoping to return to my computing roots with a slice of RaspberryPi...

I've had two entirely independent careers, as a mechanical engineer and as a retailer, and like several of you in this thread I cut my computing teeth on a ZX81, and somewhere in my playroom I still have a 6502 development board that works.

To my shame, when dos and then Windows came along I got lazy and let my programming slide so I have decades of catching up to do - but now I have the luxury of time something like raspberrypi is just perfect for that purpose.

I'm a full-licensed radio amateur so I intend to see what I can do in that direction, but also I'd like to build a board into a keyboard with a couple of usb slots so all I need outside of that is a monitor... that would make a much more power-efficient way of browsing the web without the eye-strain of a tiny tablet.

I have no idea where I'll end up, but it sure looks like a fun journey.

jam

Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Hi,

My name is James from Dublin, Ireland. Java programming is my day job but I'm interested in using the Rasperry Pi as a media pc(XBMC etc.) plugged in to a tv and just general messing about with it to see what I can get it to do

Can't wait to get my hands on one!

andyhorn

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:43 pm

Hello all.

I'm Andy form the North East of England.

Been following this project for a few weeks now, I am trying to get my local school to have a look at the Rasp PI.

I can't wait to get my hands on one, I love tinkering around with Linux.

Cheers
[

Return to “General discussion”