elaverick

Re: Introduce yourself!

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi,
I'm Edward from Warwick. I stumbled across Raspberry Pi today. I had previously been looking into BeagleBoard and Gumstix systems over the past year as a small hobby platform, but I couldn't quite justify the costs just to have a play about.
I started programming on the Acorn Electron back in the 80's, graduating to the BBC Master 128 and then into PC programming in various C-likes.
I love the idea of a true home hobby-ist platform like the original Beeb and I'm really looking forward to having a play with the kit and seeing what's possible.
I'm currently considering some gaming applications (my degree was in Computing with Games Design) as well as having a play with some inexpensive Linux Clusters and having a look at converting the kernel development work I did on the x86 platform to an ARM oriented platform. I'm also very interested to see if the board has applications for pen-testing using the ARM port of BackTrack 5. I may also have a look at creating a BSP for Windows Embedded.
Really pleased to see this project and looking forwarding to seeing where it goes in the future.

pluggster

Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:43 pm

... i forgot to introduce myself too.

I'm in Yorkshire and I have more ideas than time and money permits!

I've done to a basic level: Pascal/C/C++/Assembler/Java/php/javascript/java/c#/perl/html/css/vb

When RPi is released i want to:

Get it interacting with a NerdKit
Get it interacting with my battered '53 astra
Get it patrolling my house ( ... obviousley with the aid of a few digi cams, although I have got a toy r2d2 from one of those McD's kids meals things, that chirps whenever anyone goes nears it ... do you see where I'm going with this??)
Set up a home media server.

So that's 4 for me then please!

+ if anyones got a old large tin can I can have, that would be great.

AndyP

Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:52 am

Hi. I'm Andy and I just joined the forum to ask a question about the sd card reader, but thought I should say hi since it's polite.

I'm another British ex-pat currently living in Japan and working for a video game company. Although I'm an artist at work, I studied programming at Exeter University a while ago and still do a little bit in my free time. I want to get a Raspberry Pi to try and make games for it, and if what I make isn't too embarrassing, I will release the source and hopefully people can learn from what I do. Currently I'm just learning Javascript and HTML 5 programming, but I'm looking forward to seeing what else I can do with the pi.

Oh, I also wanted to try and use the pi as a low power file server for my house, but I'm not super bothered about that anymore.

Prometheus

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:56 pm

Hi, I'm Prometheus.

My handle is not taken from the Titan from Greek mythology, but rather from a robot character from Capcom's Mega Man video games. :P

I'm a girl-geek and I got my start with a Commodore 64 when I was very young (though I also used the BBC Micros at school, as so many of us Brits did) - it was one of the things that helped to teach me to treat my possessions with great care, and even the simple act of learning to launch software from the BASIC prompt gave me some inkling of how to tell the thing what I wanted it to do. I still have it and it's still in perfect order, too - same for all of the tapes I amassed back in the days when new games cost you £2 to £5 at the local newsagent! Though I have tried (and did try back then as a five-or-six-year-old, too), I'm not really of the mindset for programming, though.

In spite of that, I seem to soak up information like a sponge and seem to be quite good at recalling it so that I can help people out. :P I try to be as clear as I can be when writing up instructions, and always try to point to where I found information if I can, and to that end I hope that I can be of help to people as far as my knowledge will allow me to be.

When I'm using my x86 box, I use Xubuntu, and I was pleased to see that Debian will be one of the options for the Raspberry Pi - just give me that with Xfce and I'll be all set. If I can use Sid instead of the stable branch, all the better!

I use a Pandora handheld quite often ( http://www.openpandora.org/ ), and have realised that for the vast majority of the time, I don't need an x86-based box chewing up an excessive amount of power for the things that I tend to do with computers - those things mainly being web-browsing, writing, dealing with digitised sewing patterns, and emulating old games that I own (I have a ludicrously large collection that I've gathered over my life so far, including several arcade PCBs) so that I don't have to hook up my consoles or Supergun when I don't have the time to do so. Occasionally I rip a DVD that I've bought, too, either for viewing without DVD drive noise, or so that I can view it on my Pandora instead. Ditching x86 and moving over to ARM for my everyday computing needs is my goal for my Raspberry Pi, but I'm sure that other ideas will come later (and will probably necessitate at least one more purchase for myself, never mind for others!).

I fully support what you guys are doing, as the computer teaching I went through as a young'un at least gave me skills that I could transfer to different systems throughout the ages, and I was grateful for that, even if programming wasn't for me - I hope that kids today will get at least that, and hopefully better, as my observations* (along with anecdotes told by friends) over the last several years indicate that IT teaching isn't in a great state at this particular moment in time. I'll be going the buy-one-donate-one route for sure.

*I knew folks when I was younger, who were led to believe that taking a course that gave what was basically a certification for clicking menus in Microsoft Word in a particular order would allow them to work in video game development and other technology-related fields.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all, and I look forward to hanging out around here, as well as actually being able to get hold of a Pi and get started with using it. :)

JeToMad

Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:34 pm

Greetings!

First of all, let me apologize in advance: I am no english-speaker, so I will make some mistakes for sure when writing in english. I try to improve my skills every day, but, as I said, I will make mistakes. Feel free to correct me if I make your eyes hurt, I really care about writing better in english.

After that, let's do it the right way: starting from the beginning.

I am 27 years old, born and raised in Spain, and computer-fan since I have memories... In fact, here you have little option to learn programming until you reach university (18 year old, for the sake of understanding). I started programming at 13 (In Pascal, with TurboPascal compiler in old msdos) thanks to a brother-in-law (I think... I mean the guy who married one of my sisters ;) ), and after Pascal it came C. After that, when I reached University (For an Electronics Engineering degree) I had to learn Visual Basic (Yup. Visual Basic. Sigh...) to program interfaces between the hardware we designed and PC's to control it. Later, when I was free to chose, I went back to C, still in windows (Visual C#, by the way). Oh, and first assembler when it came to microcontrollers, and later C when I needed powerful ones.

When I got to an Electronics design job (While in the University, almost any teacher told us that there were no electronics design jobs in Spain, but... one of those teachers "kidnaped" me to work with him :) ) I carried on basically with the same, ASM/C for the microcontrollers, and C -And sometimes Visual Basic- in the PC. But then single board computers arrived to the company, and I discovered the world of Linux :) I had tried it before at home, but very little, just LiveCD's to try it. With the SBC -PandaBoard and a Spanish clone of BeagleBoard, the IGEPv2- I needed to program in plain C (Yay! like old times :) ), use Linux from serial and SSH conections (And discover VI :) ), and that kind of things. Even learn to do some scripting in bash. Since then, my home box has dual boot, both windows 7 and Fedora. Maybe some time windows will be erased, but does not seems to me that it can happen soon.

As you may have guessed, I am more a Hardware guy than a Software one. That is true, both at work and at home. I use to play with self-designed robotics, with evaluation boards for several kinds of uC's, and, well, almost anything I can afford (Which means little, shamely...). I also do some PC programming without hardware being involved, mostly request from friends.

I am very interested in the Pi. I have been lurking (from the dark ;) ) the forums, but I decided to finally write. I have not much time, but I want to help as much as I can, and make everything I do with the Pi Public.

As a goal for me (I mean, related to the Pi) I would love to see my nephews learning to program with one of these. And I would love also to learn how to write Linux kernel drivers. And make some kind of a media center. And replace uC's in robotics with the Pi. And above all of this, I would love so much having time enough for all that I have said :D

Well, I am very bad introducing myself, but I think that is a good start. As a bit off-topic, I will say I love some things from you british guys, as an example, Doctor Who, Iron Maiden, London (Been there only once, but I hope I will be back soon)... and now the Pi ;)

Lastly, as I said, I am very sorry about the mistakes while writing in english. Hope none of you have your eyes bleeding right now ;)
Greetings from Spain!

gerard

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:19 pm

Hi,
As you have probably worked out from my user name, my name is Gerard. I live in sunny Yorkshire, England. I am currently the technical director for a company in Leeds. I started writing software back in the 70s and have been at it ever since. I wish I had more time developing and less time managing but I will take what I can get. We currently develop on Windows/Linux for Intel/arm/mips systems.

I've seen some changes in technology over the years. I first worked on wide area networks back in the early eighties when the various protocols were known by the colour of the cover of the book they were defined in rather than one of the myriad of acronyms we use now. The first PC I used in the mid 80s had a huge 10MB hard drive. The experts claimed that the clock speed for a processor would never be able to exceed about 20MHz. If they only knew.

I have lead a project similar to the RPi. It is a single board system based around an Arm processor. There is something very satisfying about starting from an idea, producing the circuit board and then building the operating system and applications to run on it.

liam collins

Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:39 pm

Yule tide greetings!

I'm a performance/architect/engineer working on Enterprise Storage systems with too many years in the computer industry (has it really been that long????). I started off as a real-time embedded assembler code programmer before moving via PC, Mainframes (MVS-XA) and Unix (HP-UX) before finally ending up at storage.

I've worked commercially in Assembler (8085, 6502, Z80, MC68xxx, 360/370), C, Excel VBA, VB.net, Python, Perl, K-Shell, AWK, PHP, SED, PL/1, BCPL and a couple of others that I forget about... At collage or for fun, I've also learnt Java, PowerShell 2.0, Processing (normal and Arduino), Ruby, Pascal, Modular/2, Fortran, Cobol, RPG-II and several other that I've fortunately forgotten about by now :)

I hope that the aims of the RPi project do get fulfilled and that the next generation of programmers have the same start as my generation did. It would be wonderful to see even more people fall in love with actually making things (programs, devices, art installations...) rather than just be a passive consumers of the latest technology.

999frogs

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:40 pm

Hello all, good to finally get into the forum pages

I'm Cambridgeshire/Warwickshire based currently driving too many miles. Once upon a time (around '74 I guess) I discovered a copy of Everyday Electronics and soldered up the odd project from there
Wrote a spectrum line renumbering program (as did most kids of that time). As an electrical apprentice, helped config automated production line machinery at Triumph - on screen gates were a revelation. Fell into computing 30 odd years back and have done lots of things, the list of "ex" job roles is getting pretty long but including mainframe op (in the days of punched card decks), cobol programmer, analyst, tech writer, team leader, unix sysadmin, now more ahem management & architecture. But I do still log in to the occcasional systems. Mostly use bash/ksh/perl these days
And I still like playing on the boxes at home
Greetings!

cyberjaq

Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Hi,
my name is colin and back in the 80's i built an Acorn Atom, then an Apple clone and moved up the computer food chain to the PC (which is boring and just a 'spanner')
I love the idea of the Raspberry Pi and hope it will encourage many youngsters, my kids included, to get "in to" computers. I am not a software geek but ended up in hardware. So i hope that this project helps kids to get into engineering as well as programming. To this end i hope that things like BASIC can be used. It is important to understand the principles involved eg transistors/logic/binary etc.
Computers are not just for games or writing your CV in Word - they are all around us. I hope also this community provides add-ons (HW & SW) for the Pi so kids canh see real results.

TimC

Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi all
Another old fogey here. I did successfully make a valve (tube) radio in about 1961 but my soldering has not got better even tho I have a ham radio licence. After a misspent life as a teacher I discovered the computer world in 1982 - anyone remember the System 25 instruction set and, was it BCD addresses? Retired as a manager from what seemed to be the remnant of the British Computer industry a couple of years ago. Looking to see you guys get it moving again. I've got a box to put the Rasp pi in...

lloydb

Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Hello All,
My name is Lloyd, I am 50 years young. I have been playing, using, programming computers from my last teens. I love paragliding and I have developed a way to show airspace in 3D using Google Earth (http://www.3dairspace.org.uk). I have some experience in embedded C on Linux having written software for the Acme (IT) Fox board (AXIS). This sound like a great project for all (including developing countries). I hope this project is very successful.

Byte power = Raspberry Pi :)

Crippen69

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Hi all,

Only found out about this comp and site because of the link on the BBC News website, and glad I have :)

Name is Pat(rick), been on the net as Crippen69 since late 80s' early 90s', first went online with old Amigas.

My computer timeline starts with the old CBM PET 2001, goes through the ZX81/Spectrum, BBC A/B, C64, MSX and Amigas, arriving late at PCs in mid 90s'. Never bought a pre built PC, always preferred to build my own. Also collect/revive old home computers.

Being from the 8 bit generation, did my O'level computer studies back in the 80s', good old BASIC programming. In the past, I've tried my hand at JAVA, PERL and raw HTML. As well as using various flavours of Windoze, I've 'mucked about' with various Linux distros, and usually have one on a USB HDD for messing with.

Domestic appliance engineer by trade, washers and driers etc. Also do bits and pieces on vintage Hammond Organs for a mate.

Looking forward to the launch of these computers.

fizzox

Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:18 pm

Now the release of the first Raspi is getting pretty imminent, I thought it was time I registered on the forum and got involved.
Im a software engineer with around 20 years experience in mainly real time embedded applications, however I havn't done much in the way of real hands on development for a while, so im a bit rusty especially with respect to more recent developments. The Raspberry Pi seems like an excellent opportunity to get my hands dirty again, and I have a few projects in mind for it, including one which I have been mulling over for some time, only without appropriate hardware.
Im sure the Raspberry Pi project will be a huge success in providing an excellent grounding for the next generation of software and hardware engineers, and I look forward to seeing it go from strength to strength.

tower

Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Hi, My name is Tom, I live half the year on BP Shipping Oil or Gas Tankers where I fix electrical and electronic thingy's ;) The rest of the year I am normal... well sort of normal, well OK a little geeky normal.

Back in the late 1970's and early 80's I heard the mighty BBC may be doing a computer literacy course so I rushed out and bought a BBC Atom, that was all I could afford at the time, it took 4 years before I could afford a BBC B! but what fun I had with the huge 5.25 inch floppy discs having worked for some years with only a cassette tape recorder, my they seemed so fast!

Anyway some 30 years on and it is hats off to the project people who have produced the 1st model and at a fraction of the price of way back when...

I am 62 but that will not stop me putting aside my somewhat more generous 'pocket money' these days to purchase a mighty Raspberry Pi and burn my fingers on the soldering iron (again) building the optional IO board. Oh yes let the late nights begin again. Lets get the fantastic ARM RISC chip onto mainstream desktop PC's and give Apple Mac and Micro$oft a run for there money! Now there is a project!

EtheB

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 am

Hi, I'm Eric and live in Rangiora, New Zealand - just a few km up the road from lerc.After first getting the computing bug working on CIP2200B mini-computers controlling aerospace CNC machines in the early 70's I then progressed (?) via PET, TI 99/4A, Oric, ZX80, Electron, Amstrad, et al through to Arduino.

At 63 I'm still fascinated by technology of pretty much any shade and love 'getting my hands dirty' and learning stuff. The Raspberry Pi appears to exactly the sort of thing that excites and inspires me - AND IT'S BRITISH!

It will be my first (real) immersion in all things Unix - can't wait.
If it doesn't fit, use a larger hammer, else fit a bigger fuse and 'tune' for maximum smoke :-)

hamster

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:30 am

Quote from EtheB on December 24, 2011, 07:10
Hi, I'm Eric and live in Rangiora, New Zealand
It will be my first (real) immersion in all things Unix - can't wait.

Hi Eric, I'm 'just' 40km down the road in Springston ( jsut outside of Lincoln).
Maybe we should organise a local "Raspberry Pi in your face" meet-up once
we get our hands on the 'good' and build a few SD card images. I've got a beagleboard clone to boot before - how hard can it be?

Email me at hamster at snap fullstop net fullstop nz if you like (sorry about the spam-proofing)

Mike

Carrie

Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:44 am

Hi I'm Carrie.
Pleased to meet you.
Am looking forward to getting my sticky fingers on one of these.
More later,
Have a cool Yule
Cx

Bootsy

Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:12 am

I'm Bootsy,
I'm an average person on the street, saw this "Computer for £15" story on the BBC News site and had to find out more.

My computer skills are close to zero, I can use one but don't know what makes them work. It could be pixies in the gubbins for all I know.

Having read through the forums I have seen lots of posts about technical jiggery-pokery, code-bashing and oldskool hackin'. It makes me nostalgic for something I never experienced.
You see, I was too old to be involved in the first wave of computing, anyway it was just a fad that would pass (actual advice from a schools career advisor in the Eighties).
Since then I have seen the technology incorporated into just about everything and along with it comes the "I wish I'd learned..."

I see this as a chance for me to understand the gubbins and learning the names of the pixies and what jobs each of them do.
Or to put it another way, I'm going to try to learn how it works and how to program it.

For me, this will be a "poke it and see" project. At ~£15 or even the beta model at ~£22 I can poke it to my heart's content in the knowledge that if I do manage to break it I haven't broken the bank.

Bootsy

OSharp

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi All,

I like many others saw the link on the BBC website and got all excited.

Im a student currently studying A2 levels in Maths Biology Chemistry and Sociology.

I'd say as far as modern standards go I'm pretty computer competent, ive had access to a pc from the age of about 5/6 and I have always known how to troubleshoot most hardware software issues, however i've only ever used a GUI interface (despite doing a GCSE in IT) (AKA GCSE in Word and Access) as a young person I was born into WIN 98 so that was my first experience of computing, I am really interested in the programming side of things, also really excited for the impact this could have breaking down the information gap created by IT over the past few decades. anyway for £22 I will definitely be getting one with internet access and the extra RAM, what can you buy for £22 nowadays anyway, 4 big macs?

Looking forward to the (hopefully) Imminent release, now I just wish there was some way of finding out what all these ridiculous abbreviations mean :)

Krisbee

Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello,

My name's Chris.  The raspberry PI project has many laudible aims, and as someone who has never given up on learning,  owning such a device could open up new doors.

Having reduced mobilty in later lfe has meant  I've relied on my  PC more and more for  mulitmedia, particulalry since the developement of services like BCC iplayer.  I've hooked it up to my Hifi via an external USB DAC.  But still have a traditional audio set up else at home.  Some sort of networked audio device would be very handy for me.

I use Linux and had thought about building  something using an ALIX board with Voyage MPD linux.  But it wouldn't be that cheap.

Perhaps the Raspbeery Pi has the potential to do the job, and it seems like a lot of people here, with more knowldege than me, have similar ideas.

You never know, if it works, it might finally kick me into down sizing from power hungry Quad core monsters to something more apt for my needs.

AndyBolton

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:28 pm

Hello, I'm Andy (@Andys_Tweets on twitter) I own an Analytics and Modelling business crunching big data using SAS & WPS.

Fell in love with my first pc nearly thirty years ago (zx spectrum christmas '82!) , have had all sorts since then which I've stripped down and rebuilt. Never been a .exe coder as fell in love with population statistics & modelling, so use for that, which took me to pushing boxes & OSs to their limits and cranking out that extra bit of juice with totally turning me into a techie.

Spent my formative years as an ecologist, then moved into Analytics in Marketing, Risk Management & CRM, then set my own company up delivering Analytics & Modelling as an Outsourcer & Service provider two years ago. Gone well so far and up to seven people now & hoping to recruit again in new year.

Love the You Tube clip I've seen of the Rasberry Pi, have loads of ideas!

Also, have a four year old & hoping she'll take an interest!

Oh, based in Leeds, UK.

Will be putting an order in ASAP!

bionicpixel

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Hello, i´m Esteban from Argentina, currently living in Perú. A tech enthusiast who loves alternative and independent projects.

I serve in a mystic order based in Perú, called Septrionismo.

Hope this projects evolves and sees light

All my best.

Mr_G

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:08 pm

Mr_G from Essex, teaching secondary students, Sytems & Control, GCSE & AS Electronics, CAD\CAM and ICT when ever there is gap in the TimeTable, started 30 years back.  Used to use Assembly & Machine code and BASIC.  Moved onto the  BASIC stamp, went into PICAXE, now with NWC's GENIE, plus used/using Flowol4 and Scratch.

Started with  control software with INcontrol (1990) from a Cambridge based company, what ever happend to them?
Now quite rusty with BASIC, too much to do in life as Head of the DT Faculty and Old motorcycles

IanD

Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Hi, Ian from Glasgow.

Got in to computers thanks to the BBC Model B and Acorn Electron.

Spend a lot of my spare time fixing other people's computers now and dabble in website design.

Would love to get back to 'BASIC' with a machine like this.

redman684

Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm from The Netherlands, 35 years of age and software engineer with a bachelor in software engineering and a masters degree in Human-Technology Interaction. I'm currently working professionally on digital TV distribution.

I've been interesed in electronics ever since my Dad (or was it Sinterklaas? (You know, Santa Claus)) gave me an electro experiments kit. That hobby slowly died when digital electronics entered the stage and the project became more and more like "wire up a few resistors and this 'magic' chip we programmed for you". I just lacked the stuff to get me started with digital electronics.

A few years ago I was introduced to digital electronics properly by showing me the atmel 2313 chips and -most importantly- how to compile my own software for it and program the chip with it. It has made a lot of LED's blink ;)

The atmel is an easy, inexpensive chip for al kinds of tiny projects, but programming it requires the use of the family PC and with it's 20 MHz and very limited amount of memory it lacks the processing power to do 21st century user interaction.

I see the Pi as an excellent piece of hardware to function as a unit coordinating smaller atmel (or pic) devices (you don't want a Pi at each lamp you want to control) and/or as a platform to program the atmels with. It will bridge the gap between the 2 euro atmel chips and a full PC.

Return to “General discussion”