Luny

Re: Introduce yourself!

Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Hi,

I'm a professional developer who originally worked in the digital TV domain, creating GUIs for set-top boxes and was heavily involved in the Digital Switchover scheme. But recently I was forced over into the financial world due to the recession and now, I am developing GUIs on huge World Market trading systems.

I'm one of the old skool developers having cut my teeth on a ZX81 then progressing onto a VIC-20 and ZX Spectrum. But I was an addict, I would play with any machine I could get my hands on. At school we had a lovely spread of machines which included an Luxor ABC-80, a BBC micro, a Wang Personal computer and an ICL 2903 series main frame, given to us by the council. So my experience was very spread out even then.
[SNIP]Finbar just reminded me, we had an RM 380Z as well[SNIP]

I've always enjoyed low level stuff such as assembler and later on became an ARM developer having gained home experience on my trusty Acorn A3000. Many years ago I was employed as an ARM developer only to never touch the assembler professionally for ten years until recently when I worked on an ARM based set-top box. These days it tends to be all C++.

I'd like toget involved with a Raspberry Pi, partly as I like small unique systems and secondly I also agree with getting the kids involved in the more technical details of coding. I have two daughters, one of which does very simple ITC work at her school. She is very competent with a PC using both Windows & Linux, but it would be nice to teach her how a system works and to program very simple applications. I am also hoping to spread to word to her school and get people involved that way too.

Luny.
Luny

george.endrulat

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:33 pm

Hi,

As you can see: I'm George.
Job: Mechanical Designer

Proposed purpose for the Raspberry Pi board:
1. Physical touch interface for sound + light interaction for my soon to be (DD~march 3rd) newborn.
2. Diy tablet
3. Diy e-reader
4. Diy console emulator

Experience:
This would be my first jump into SOCs and the like. I do have over 10 years of gnu/linux experience.

When I do finally obtain a board (or 10 lol) I look forward to participating more regularly with the entire Raspberry PI community and I very much look forward to it as well.

If you would like to get in contact with me strictly concerning Raspberry PI:
George Dot Endrulat at GMail Dot Com

finbar

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:47 pm

As you can tell, my name is Finbar. Irish here.
Started into computers with an Atari 400 and tape deck. School had a BBC, but never got it working! We also played on a CPM RM computer (I think) - green screen, half foot floppy drive... When floppies really were floppy.

Worked in various aspects of computers after getting a HND in IT as a mature student in 89. Wrote my discertaition on an atari ST as my university couldnt print fonts properly on their dot matrix printers!

Hacked and gamed ever since. Worked as an IT Project Manager for a large Heath Trust - nowadays I work in MIS systems in a large FE college. I would be interested in seeing a PI as my main hobby is nowadays sailing - could be a great hub (should be easy to weatherseal) for a GPS and charting solution - should be able to run the lot (GPS, Screen etc) off 12V. Also interested for the kids- the curriculum is all ICT useage- rather than understaning the workings... My kids can do a better powerpoint than I can - but have no concept of what makes a computer tick...

tumblebomb

Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:27 pm

Hi Everyone!

I'm Tim Humble, just reached my quarter century mark a few weeks ago and live in Scotland.

I work in IT Support for an evil megaCorp (not so evil really but its mostly windows, Boo) Previously studied AI & Robotics at Uni before swapping to Computer Networking which I finished last year.

There's still nothing like the smell of solder and the joy when a little creation blinks into life.
I started in computers with the ZX81 and Beeb back in the day when I was too little to really understand enough but boy it made me love coding and command line stuff. It was so easy to make cool images and games.

Did a bit of assembly language but not enough to get a good grasp, its certainly cool stuff. I'll dabble in C# and trying to relearn C++. tried Perl before, COMAL on the MAC (Arghh pain), Shell scripts in Linux which is fun. Getting a bit rusty on Linux now but gotta get it set up again.
When not messing with computers I'll be painting miniature figures, watching films, hillwalking, and defending my self from the vicious man eating seagulls.

I hope to use the RPi as a handy development environment and probably to interface with other small projects.

sylvan

Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:57 pm

First name is sylvan, after my Father. I'm 'sylvan' (if I can get it) or 'sylvandb' or 'sdb' on many sites. I'm in the USA.

For me the Rasberry Pi will fill the hole between microcontrollers and a full blown computer in projects I do like solar photovoltaic monitoring and control, home automation, etc. Where it works a full-blown PC is a lot faster and easier to develop on/for and then deploy compared to a microcontroller. For cheapest initial cap-ex on personal projects I've used old PC gear (laptops for power saving, desktops for cheap) but for clients I typically end up using a fairly new desktop for reliability and because newer equipment uses less power to get the same or better performance. It appears the R-Pi will give me the advantages of a full-blown computer at a power and money budget comparable to a microcontroller.

The R-Pi might also have enough capability to replace PCs in home usage as a media center (I cannot tell you how many gadgets I've tried and always gone back to a PC) or small home server.

My background:

Been doing electrical then electronics stuff since at least 1971 when I built my first telegraph system, and started doing computer stuff since 1976. I was first paid for writing software about 1982 while still in high school and have developed for a wide variety of platforms since then, but of course mostly Windows. I have formal education in Electronics Engineering Technology and Computer Science and am a licensed amateur radio operator. I tend to do just about everything myself as I've had to correct too many problems caused by supposed professionals in the various fields.

Been running Linux as hobby and for servers since about kernel 0.6 (ca. 1992, before the first distribution) and as my primary desktop for almost 10 years.

I have 20 years experience doing drivers (mostly for Windows) and firmware, mostly with Hewlett-Packard and now as an independent contractor. I use primarily C and C++ but I really like Python, and have tried and even used way too many languages of all varieties (from several machine/assembly varieties and Forth in the old days; Lisp in school; to SQL, Javascript, PHP and HTML for a recent job) so I can use what the customer wants or pick a good one for the job at hand.

I don't do user interface design, database optimization, or detailed electronic or ASIC design. But if you need software/firmware developed, or just want to talk with an expert who has in-depth knowledge about everything that comes between (but not including) user interface and database on the top to the electronic design on the bottom, I'm your man. (And the first hit is free. ;-) )

JonB

Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:47 pm

Hello

This looks like an interesting little project. I'm looking forward to scoring one of these little machines.

My background is entirely programming. I started when I was 15 before the BBC Micro was introduced into schools, programming an ICL mainframe in CESIL (Computer Education In Schools Instructional Language), then BASIC. We had to fill out coding sheets and send them off to the local college to be typed into a teletype terminal and run; a week later the results (usually a syntax error) would arrive back on fanfold paper. I think that dates me. I had a ZX-81 and wrote machine code on it for fun. At college I did a Computer Science A-level, writing in BASIC on a Commodore PET 4032 as well as using an MP/M machine. Later on I worked in a shop selling 8 bit micros (even Jupiter Ace and Camputer Lynx - what a lovely keyboard it had but God, it was slooow - although the Speccy outsold all), then I acquired a Spectrum with a floppy drive (Opus Discovery One) and started playing Elite. I got to Deadly.

Fast forward to proper college, and I bought an Atari ST, upgraded its memory and fitted a Blitter chip (waste of time). I was doing a Software Engineering HND, so there was an element of hardware interfacing and emulation. I did a bit of 68000 machine code and learned C. Produced a logic gate array design / emulation tool in C and GEM on the ST as my final year project. Then joined a flight simulation company and worked in the systems division, programming in FORTRAN, then later C. Took redundancy, learned C++ and became a contractor working on trading systems in the City. Naturally I have had my fair share of PCs but now we have Apple hardware only in the house (apart from some relics). I'm now a consultant.

I'm revisiting the computers of my youth, thanks to eBay. I have various wonders in my collection - A couple of Speccys with a working Microdrive, BBC Model B, Atari ST and a self built replica of the guts of a Compukit UK101, but with 32K RAM & 32K ROM. I also have an unbuilt Fignition (Forth based single board computer with a chorded keyboard) and an Arduino which I have not really used.

Like most people here, I hate that ICT in schools teaches kids nothing about computing. We don't need more secretaries! We ned engineers! My kids are old enough to be mightily interested in "computers", but they use them as media consumption devices only. Can't blame them really; in my time there was no internet to browse and very little software apart from what you wrote yourself. I wrote a fast game on a borrowed PET in BASIC called "Pick a disk" but it got lost because I din't have the datasette thingamybob to save it before turning the machine off.

I managed to get my oldest (11 year old daughter) to write a simple program on one of the Spectrums, and the Beeb was in her bedroom for a while (but she didn't use it).

Maybe with a Pi we can engage her... Of course, it all depends on the coding environment (you'll never get kids into vi and makefiles!), and I look forward to seeing what finally emerges.

Sorry for the long post...

Regards

JonB

Metz

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 am

Hi, I'm Metz.

I've been a developer in one form or another for 26 years, but I have a secret passion for hardware that I'll never admit to in public. Damnit!.

I've always got any number of projects on the go that I tinker with..for LED cubes to rebuilding motorcycles. Latest projects involve Android. I'm a huge fan of case-mods, and would love to build a tiny R-Pi based cluster in my living room...so very keen on the Bramble project.

Fizzicksdude

Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:25 am

Hello my name is Jeff,

I'm an applied Physics student at the University of Northern Iowa. I aspire to also get a degree in Computer Science and move into the field of robotics. Pi seems like it would be well suited for a robotics project. I can not wait to get mine to start playing with it :D

jgree21

Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:22 pm

Jeremy here, from Louisiana in the US. Since I'm American, I'm monolingual (thanks, abishur!), but I'm illiterate in French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Japanese.

I've been playing with computers since my dad got a Tandy 1000 when I was 5 or 6, but didn't start programming until I got introduced to QBasic around 12. It was all downhill from there =) C, Lisp (SO! MANY! PARENTHESES!), Cobol, just couldn't get enough.

When I entered college in CompSci, I was shocked at how many people had no idea how to write a logical program. Most CS majors transferred into ISDS ("here's how to use Word!") by second semester. Maybe a Raspberry Pi or two could have gotten them more into the bones of a computer and excited about programming before they had the pressure of assignments and deadlines killing the initial fun.

Fast forward to now, I'm a programmer at an engineering firm, mostly in .NET, but some scripting, some Java, some AutoCAD Lisp (the parentheses! they burns us!), and a tiny bit of assembly.

I've dabbled in Linux from time to time, a little before college, a little more in college, not much lately. Sadly, I've mostly been confined to Windows because of work constraints, and my home computer just doesn't get enough love. With the Raspi, I'm hoping to get back into it so I can get back into recreational programming, as well as having something to interest my (future) kids in programming!

Can't wait!

tonyblews

Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi, I'm Tony, a former software monkey who officially fell out of the trade about 10 years ago.
I'm working on converting old busted-screen laptops into usable set-top boxes (any more than 4 Dell XPS300s may form a Critical Mass) and turning broken Dalek toys into roving cam-bots. The computer that I bought new was an Amstrad 6128. I don't think that 19 computers is too many to own, even though if I turn them all on then the disc in the electric meter could be used to saw wood.
Oh, and opinions are divided on this one: should a ukulele have an ip address? I think yes, but i haven't worked out how or why yet.

mattbrain

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi

I'm Matt - another one of the countless hackers / homebrewers who love tech such as this. My latest project was building a baby cam so we can keep our eye on the little monkey when he is in his cot - and of course, being the resourceful, aspiring maker wannabe that I am, nothing commercially available cut the mustard (just dont tell the other half how much time I spent hacking the firmware on the IP camera I bought just to overlay audio meters on the video stream).

My previous hackadilous project was to modify a portable fridge so that it didn't suck all the juice out of my car battery when I was camping; 1 months free time spent popping a PIC and a bunch of power control and temperature sensors elements into the fridge which has extended the run time by a factor of 4...unfortunately, not found cause to use it since....

RaTTuS

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Hello my name is Dave
and it has been 1 week since my last hardware purchase ....
seriously
I have been programming since buying a tandy trs-80 , adding a lower case chip , more memory [48k]
my 1st hard disk was 50MB and cost £500 ...
been in the games industry since Atari / Amiga days - and still am ...
this thing is just the ticket ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Signs

Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Quote from tonyblews on December 1, 2011, 16:05
should a ukulele have an ip address? I think yes, but i haven't worked out how or why yet.

Maybe everything should have an ip address. How, is not the problem. I really think that anymore anything can be programmed. I am one waiting for the day they put a rock reader on the Pyramids to extract the trillions upon trillions of lines data from them. I wonder if it would work with trees even? :D

gregeric

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:33 am

Hello all. Can't wait to get my hands on one of these. Self-taught, starting with an Ohio Scientific Superboard II aka UK101, hacking the board's hardware & firmware (6502 assembly). Next enjoyed arexx on the amiga, then learnt a little c on the pc. Can see this being massive - cheaply turning any TV into a smart TV.

daveg

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey Guys (and Gals),

Dying to get my hands on a R-Pi, fancy a little portable Linux box for messing with!
We intend to use pairs sitting on customer networks for monitoring and checking throughput. Also to serve as a handy "back door" into the network when we have server issues.
I'd like to get MythTV frontend running on one also as I'm not allowed to have a noisy PC plugged into the TV. :(
I ought to point my brother at these as well, he works at RAL for the ESA; they may like to put some in the next satellite they build
Loving your work guys.

rmedtx

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi my name is Eduardo Ramirez, I live in the US, I'm a graphic designer who also develops video games as a hobby. I learned about the Raspberry Pi in the GameMaker website. It seems like the guys from Yoyogames are running a version of GameMaker running on a PC Linux (Fedora 15) under LXDE window manager. I hope that will mean the possibility to develop applications for the device using GM. I'm really interested in developing educational applications it.

Here is the link to the article:
http://yoyogames.com/news/65

Penfold_m

Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello, my name is Mike. I'm a UK software engineer, working in Cambridge. I'm keen on encouraging an interest in science and engineering in schools, and have done some work through the STEMNET scheme over the last few years.

I am very interested in the R-Pi as a bold stab at getting some programming buzz back into education, and into the home for youngsters. I'm convinced that programming can be a great form of learning; even for a goodly proportion of those who might not go on to be software bods. It's problem solving, learning by experiment and it's creating something.

I hope to get hold of an R-Pi to experiment with in the new year, and get involved with helping to develop the educational support.

neidorff

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:25 pm

I'm Mark.
After 32 years in the classroom I retired 2 years ago. While in the schools I was a tech go to person. I ran the computer labs, spec'd them, brought the net into a school when it was the new thing, etc. etc. I also did the programming for the school in whatever language was needed.
Now that I'm retired, I work for a school 3-4 days a week doing programming and other administrative chores.
I was a member of a UG for quite a few years, and its president for one.
The RaspberryPi is fascinating! There is a great future for it in schools with some tweaking.
Married, 3 grown kids....2 boomerangers. There's a ton more to say, but that's enough for now.

ProDigit

Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:26 pm

I'm just a gadget freak! Bring ideas, be in and out of several communities.
I've helped some companies bring some products to the market (mostly for free). I expect to do the same.
My current hobbies lie in electronic book readers, and perhaps this device. Previous: Studio audio monitors, and bass guitar material. Before that: Netbooks and PA gear. Before that, some smaller toys as well as AMD graphics cards...

I have a broad range of interest, mainly technological. I hope to be one of the early adopters of the raspberry!

nvoid82

Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 am

Hello, I'm a 16 year old technological enthusiast. I take apart and repair anything I can get my hands on. Right now, I'm part of a FIRST robotics ftc team, and I'm learning various programing languages. I also have an interest in game development.

The raspberry pi interest me because it offers a low cost and relatively stable platform to learn programming, game development, and other things involving low level computer functions.

ChrisR

Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi, I am Chris and I'm a software engineer in Cambridge in the UK. I've been mostly involved in system software development for mobiles since I started my career in the 90s and I'm still hacking.

My interest in the Pi is as a tool for my kids to play with, but I'm yet to figure out what the ideal environment for that is :) We've tried a bit of scratch programming but I thought it was a bit too high level, and I'd like to go a bit deeper.

bigeasy_uk

Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi All, My name's Dan and I'm from Leamington Spa.
I can't remember when I first heard about Raspberry Pi, but I was reminded of it reading the latest 'The Register' article on it. I'm not a programmer or even a Linux fan, but I do like a tinker :-). I'm not against Linux, I've tried to like it and install it usually at least once a year to see if I like it yet. I'm a Mac person and have been since the late 90's, but I'm a dab hand with Windows, having worked as a techie for a large college for a few years and as a consultant for a large automotive company where I had to administer both Windows and Linux systems.

I'm probably going to make an emulator box with my R-Pi so I don't have to unbox my old consoles and get them out of their display cabinets when I fancy playing an old game (it'll keep my girlfriend happy not having the cable tangle in front of the TV too!)

AndyG

Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:28 pm

OK so I've been hanging around the forum for a while now so I thought I should introduce myself - I'm Andy; I live in Somerset, UK, I cut my teeth on mainframe Cobol and RPG (NOT Role Playing Games and that dates me in the 'old git' territory). I have developed software on mainframes and micros; when they came out first!! before they were PCs. I've done Client/Server, n-tier, Database design, yada, yada yada...

I've not used Linux professionally but have run up a number of machines at home with Ubuntu and Suse and 'dabbled'! I've only read theory on embedded systems. I've not done any hardware tinkering; I've built quite a few PCs (but that's really only assembly!!).

I don't do much coding any more (mostly design and architecture) so after hearing about Raspberry Pi on BBC's Click program a while back thought this may be a way back into 'getting my hands dirty' and maybe seeing if I can find the soldering iron! (maybe not). :?

I think the first attempt may be an XBMC based media server in a Lego case! I have some other ideas for cases but that's all they are at the moment, also like the notion of the packaging becoming the case.

Kudos to ukscone - I downloaded and now have running the Virtualbox image (my first debian based system!) - many thanks Sir.

</EndRamble>

Doomah

Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:51 pm

Oops! Forgot to introduce myself! Better late than never.

Hi! I'm a 21 year old physics student from Holland. I've been around here since spring this year or so, patiently following any progress. In my mind I have lots of ideas with it. It started with a cheap always on device to control some domotica. Then I thought to use it as a back-up server. And hey, if I make it a server I can make it a media server as well! And since it has all my media on it and a good gpu I can make it my media player too!

I recently signed up to the forums to discuss one of my ideas (Powered by a USB hub) and I have to say; You guys are a great community! No one is feeling elite and saying: “Uuh, your so dumb that would never work!” (error intended) but instead you all try to think with me and come up with even better ideas. Sometimes you even say the same thing I had in mind (looking at you, liz; it indeed feels hacky). So keep up the good work and I can’t wait for the Pi to finally finish!

AlastairoRP

Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:03 am

Hi
I'm Alastair from Cape Town. I am not a programmer or hacker, but have always worked on the fringes of the electronics industry. I am a advocate of linux, open source software, open hardware and information.
I like the idea of RasberryPi and how it can be used for educating as well as enhancing technology development in general.
If RaspberryPi becomes as popular as Jaffa Cake - you will have done a good job!

Return to “General discussion”