BrendonShaw

Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:30 am

I need to develop a WiFi test box to try some networking configurations and access to different networks, but just want to check if the following will work:

Use a USB cable plugged into a Pi Zero, will I be able to serial terminal into the device or will I need to use the serial terminal pins on the header and connect to a PC via a serial converter cable?

DougieLawson

Re: Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:33 am

The USB hub and serial console are not directly connected to the WiFi hardware in any way.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

hippy

Re: Pi Zero - WiFi test box (USB Or Serial pins?)

Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:28 am

If you were using a Zero W you could have the Pi access the on-board Wi-Fi and operate in gadget mode exposing a virtual serial port over its USB. Then all you would need to do is plug your Pi into a PC with a USB cable. The PC should create a virtual serial port for you to connect to.

For a Zero which needs a USB Wi-Fi dongle connecting there are two options -

1) An OTG cable, micro-USB plug to USB socket, the Wi-Fi dongle plugged into that, with your serial connected via the GPIO UART pins.

2) An OTG cable, a hub plugged into that, a Wi-Fi dongle and USB serial adapter plugged into that.

Return to “General discussion”