uncraftablecreeper

Dictonary and thesauaus mix on rpi

Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:06 pm

hey i have a raspberry pi and i would like to make dictionary,thesaurus and spellchecker mix for school but i have no idea how to do it. Please help
THE PI IS A LIE :D

nobbit

Re: Dictonary and thesauaus mix on rpi

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:47 am

Are you looking to write a program, or a plugin to a word processor or web browser, or... something else?

Try to explain what you envision more thoroughly. It'll help others help you :)

And welcome to the forum!

uncraftablecreeper

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:54 pm

im trying to write a program that can have a menu for Dictonary and thesauaus etc. then it has a text box input that instantly refers to a database from oxford dictionary.com or something and it needs to be offline because ill be taking it around places with no internet (or i have no idea what the wifi password is)

uncraftablecreeper

Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:57 pm

though i have been playing with the raspberry pi for years
this is just the first time i had a forum account

nobbit

Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 pm

You'll need to find a dictionary to use first. When you find one you can decide how to proceed depending on the format it's in. I'd say running a local web server and building a homepage with the desired functionality would look nice (and save a lot of time in gui development), but building a command line interface may be a lot simpler.

Andyroo

Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 pm

Two possible sources of data are Project Gutenburg though the dictionaries will be older ones and Wordnet from Princeton https://wordnet.princeton.edu.

You may be able to extract the data from these PDFs though https://www.easypacelearning.com/englis ... oad-in-pdf but I would expect then to be compressed. You may want to try printing them out to a file and reformat that somehow...

Good luck.

uncraftablecreeper

Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:19 pm

Thank you ill try to find a way to get this working though i might need more help

Return to “General discussion”