Benedict White

Re: The official "Are they nearly here yet?" thread.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:54 pm

OK, I made the official bit up, it isn't.

That said people are bound to keep asking, so if you want to ask if they are nearly here yet... ask here... (Or possibly not...)

meltwater

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:19 am

If only the 1st box could have a GPS transmitter on, that would be excellent viewing (except when it gets stuck at customs for 20 weeks before they blow it to pieces).

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

roelfrenkema

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:09 pm

Are they nearly here yet?

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:17 pm

/me ctrl-f5's the shop
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Lakes

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Consignment tracking number would be good….

(yes, I am joking, of course)

Math Required 1+2….

That forum math thing is daft, but good for a chuckle.

meltwater

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Actually I'm increasing growing jealous of those who haven't heard about the project by now, the ones which will come along in a (few) months time and go, "ooo that's a neat piece of kit" and simply buy one.

Been watching this project since it first appeared "all that time ago" on the BBC, it's been a long time now, it'll be a wonderful day when it arrives.  Looking forward to seeing the sale numbers over the next few months, should be quite amazing.

[the site is having a hard time working at the moment!]

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

meltwater said:

Actually I"m increasing growing jealous of those who haven"t heard about the project by now, the ones which will come along in a (few) months time and go, "ooo that"s a neat piece of kit" and simply buy one.

Been watching this project since it first appeared "all that time ago" on the BBC, it"s been a long time now, it"ll be a wonderful day when it arrives.  Looking forward to seeing the sale numbers over the next few months, should be quite amazing.

[the site is having a hard time working at the moment!]

Well, we're getting a foretaste of what will happen over the next few months.  We've been here, lurking, arguing and plotting what we're going to do when we finally get a Pi in our sticky little mitts.  There's been a massive boost in numbers coming here since mid-December and we're being overwhelmed by questions that were talked to death and sorted out in September/October.

Now I can't call the new members who have joined to find out about Raspberry Pi nitwits, because they're new to the place and they've not discovered the nuances of the search system.  But I do wish there was a way to drawing attention to all the threads that deal with issues that have already been done to death.  As a minimum, a compact register of all topic headings, alphabetically grouped by forum would be a good way to find similar topics and reduce the repeating cycle we seem to be getting into.

If that was in place and a new member posted a topic about, oh I don't know, using a mini composite monitor for a display for example, then..... 

Soooooooooooooooo......

D'you think they'll be here by the 30th? 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Burngate

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:41 pm

OK they've hit the Big Red Button.

Two-three weeks time a plane from Beijing will land at Heathrow, and a couple or three boxes will go into the customs shed.

A transit van will take 'em to a secret location not far from Raspberry Towers, where Liz will start licking her lips as well as 10k 1st-class stamps ...

But at what point will the starting pistol be fired? When the plane takes off? When it lands? When the boxes arrive at Raspberry Towers? Or after Liz has had a gin and tonic?

We should be told ...

Jongoleur

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:49 pm

Burngate said:

OK they've hit the Big Red Button.

Two-three weeks time a plane from Beijing will land at Heathrow, and a couple or three boxes will go into the customs shed.

A transit van will take 'em to a secret location not far from Raspberry Towers, where Liz will start licking her lips as well as 10k 1st-class stamps ...

But at what point will the starting pistol be fired? When the plane takes off? When it lands? When the boxes arrive at Raspberry Towers? Or after Liz has had a gin and tonic?

We should be told ...

Liz'll need more than just a G'n'T...

Nahhhhh - There'll be a dodgy old potato shed filled with minions in the wilds of Cambridgeshire and Liz will stalk the isles wearing thigh-length leather boots and brandishing a whip, checking that the orders are being fulfilled, whilst Eben hauls sacks of packaged orders out to a clapped-out white Transit to be dropped off at the nearest PO...

phew...

THATS when the starting pistol will have been fired! 

OregonJim

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:40 pm

I can't wait! But how will you distribute them to us Yanks? REALLY looking forward to setting one up for digital Ham Radio use, and I have already warned my grandson Nik that he will be getting one to learn programming. That means old Grandpa (me) will have to go learn C since when I got my BS in Computer Science back in (shudder) 1984, UCSD Pascal and Borland Turbo-Pascal were what we used.

Of course we had to crank the generator by hand, and the monitor was a stone tablet with a large, mechanical hammer hitting a stone chisel (saving you the time, people).

GOOD WORK! Lick a stamp for Springfield, Oregon U.S.A. too, Liz.

Jim Darrough

mikeyp

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Jongoleur said:

Nahhhhh - There'll be a dodgy old potato shed filled with minions in the wilds of Cambridgeshire and Liz will stalk the isles wearing thigh-length leather boots and brandishing a whip, checking that the orders are being fulfilled, whilst Eben hauls sacks of packaged orders out to a clapped-out white Transit to be dropped off at the nearest PO...

Haha, Brilliant, that cheered me up!

Bruce Crowthorne

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:05 pm

OK my first post - so be gentle with me ....

So when can we order (or pre order)?

You can even have the money now (honest that isn't a bribe - well maybe )

And how do we order? Will it be in the shop?

By the way, how many are in this batch? How big is the queue? Will we be waiting for ages?

meltwater

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:26 pm

No queue , no pre-order, no waiting list, just one per address in the first batch, which is 10K units.  Order through the shop http://www.raspberrypi.com

Other batches will follow as soon as they can make them.

floydbloke

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 pm

Will it be 'first come, first served', or is there going to be some sort of (attempted) control of how many units an individual can order? (for the first batch anyway)

Edit: sorry previous two posts appeared while I was drafting this (and doing other stuff),  can this post be deleted?

foo

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:01 am

I already sent the $1000 clearance fee to Prince Rasperibi of Nigeria, but still haven't received that special order "Modle C" that was being unfairly held there.  When can I expect it?

Benedict White

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:12 am

foo said:

I already sent the $1000 clearance fee to Prince Rasperibi of Nigeria, but still haven't received that special order "Modle C" that was being unfairly held there.  When can I expect it?

I hear that you will be offered a model D due to manufacturing issues, though someone helpful will more than cover the costs of the upgrade as they are a relative of Gaddafi, Ben Ali, Mubarek (or any other recently deposed leaders I forgot to mention) is you could only give them your bank account details, and then send them a fee to help send the money...

Montekuri

Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:39 am

meltwater said:

No queue , no pre-order, no waiting list, just one per address in the first batch, which is 10K units.  Order through the shop http://www.raspberrypi.com

Other batches will follow as soon as they can make them.

And everybody can subscribe to the Mailing List to receive notice about the sale date.

alecthegeek

Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:38 am

I wonder which timezone will miss out on the announcement and wake up to find all 10K units have been sold?
--
Alec Clews <alec.clews@gmail.com>
http://about.me/alecthegeek

Jongoleur

Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:24 am

alecthegeek said:

I wonder which timezone will miss out on the announcement and wake up to find all 10K units have been sold?

Oh GMT will lose out, because Liz is a night-owl..... 

Towards the end of the month, we'll all have to lose some sleep, checking email and the Forum every hour for news.  Its not going to be a pretty sight!

meltwater

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 am

Jongoleur said:

alecthegeek said:

Oh GMT will lose out, because Liz is a night-owl..... 

Towards the end of the month, we'll all have to lose some sleep, checking email and the Forum every hour for news.  Its not going to be a pretty sight!

Whenever they have box of R-Pis to sell, they should do it as quickly as they can...then all hell breaks loose!

alecthegeek

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:12 am

Anyone want to run a book on how long it will take the 10K units to sell? I'm betting less than 120m...
--
Alec Clews <alec.clews@gmail.com>
http://about.me/alecthegeek

Gert van Loo

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:32 am

I already have one,

I already have one,

nah nah nah nah nah nah

(Sticks out tongue) Plrrrrrrrrrrr..............

meltwater

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:34 am

I have a feeling they'll be doing them in batches as they are built and shipped, seem like the best way to get the money flow started for production run 2.

Hopefully, they have some other options for ramping up production, as the demand is likely to be very high for a good while.

Hopefully once they have confidence in it (low returns/issues as well as real cash coming in demand) things will build up quickly (the move to non-UK manufacturing should speed this up if anything since a small margin means less capital for following runs, later on this may be less of an issue).

Just wondering if one per address limit might ideally be extended past the 1st batch...although unlikely they'd go back on it now, perhaps a limit of some kind though since a few big companies could easily wipe any stock out.

It would have been very interesting (for numbers) if they did take pre-orders, imagine what kind of numbers would be involved (although clearly the right choice not to do that).

meltwater

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 am

Gert said:

I already have one,

I already have one,

nah nah nah nah nah nah

(Sticks out tongue) Plrrrrrrrrrrr…………..

How can I put this politely…hummm….I can't…

Not only that, but you have a Gertboard...

n3tw0rk5

Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:51 am

Gert said:

I already have one,

I already have one,

nah nah nah nah nah nah

(Sticks out tongue) Plrrrrrrrrrrr…………..

Throws soggy cornflakes in the general direction of Gert!

But considering your contribution to the project i've think you've earnt at least one

Return to “General discussion”