RaTTuS

Re: We've hit the big red button - manufacture has started.

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:37 pm

lets hope for a good start ...

they are going to sell out pretty fast ....
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

adlambert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:31 pm

On the subject of the cost of importing components versus pre-assembled units, what has happened to the:

"warehouse we’ve filled with hundreds of thousands of pounds-worth of componentry ready to turn into our first boards."

As mentioned on the About Us page? Was it an overseas warehouse all along?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/sample-page 

jacklang

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:40 pm

No, we imported the major silicon components ready

adlambert

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:25 pm

jacklang said:

I guess then, that they might be earmarked for the UK manufacture of Model As that Liz alluded to?

meltwater

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 pm

adlambert said:

jacklang said:

I guess then, that they might be earmarked for the UK manufacture of Model As that Liz alluded to?

Any way to change the silk-screen to include a huge union jack!

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

russ wall

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Mines called Cynthia ... we're in lurv!

TheLaw

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

I am severely disappointed in Raspberry Pi for sending the manufacturing overseas. If it is done in China then I am out, no RPi for me. Sending the manufacturing to a country that takes our industry by fixing its exchange rate is unacceptable. RPi should not play into this. I think it's a disgrace if the manufacturing is outsourced to China. I would rather not have any RPi at all.

When you make an RPi in the UK or a least in a friendly country, then be sure to let us know.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:56 pm

TheLaw said:

I am severely disappointed in Raspberry Pi for sending the manufacturing overseas. If it is done in China then I am out, no RPi for me. Sending the manufacturing to a country that takes our industry by fixing its exchange rate is unacceptable. RPi should not play into this. I think it's a disgrace if the manufacturing is outsourced to China. I would rather not have any RPi at all.

When you make an RPi in the UK or a least in a friendly country, then be sure to let us know.

Its disappointing to be sure but why cut your nose off to spite your face?  Are you sure you haven't got anything else "Made in China"?  'cause if you do, you'd better ditch it until you can get something similar made in the UK.

I think that most people are upset to some degree or other, but backing off in a hissy fit is one way to make sure the Pi doesn't get made in the UK in particular or Europe in general.  Volume is king, and if the volume builds then there'll be the opportunity for production to be repatriated, one way or another.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

TheLaw said:

I would be interested to know where the computer you are typing at is made.

TheEponymousBob

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

TheLaw said:

Wow.  Just... wow.

I've not been long here at this forum, but sometimes the transition from a sense of community to a sense of entitlement can give you whiplash.

plrw

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:14 pm

TheLaw said:

I am severely disappointed in Raspberry Pi for sending the manufacturing overseas. If it is done in China then I am out, no RPi for me. Sending the manufacturing to a country that takes our industry by fixing its exchange rate is unacceptable. RPi should not play into this. I think it"s a disgrace if the manufacturing is outsourced to China. I would rather not have any RPi at all.

Probably should take that up with the government that seem to not want any manufacturing in the country. And this is true for most european governments it seems.

They introduce a bunch of environmental and tax burdons on companies in their own countries and then talk about globalization and removing customs taxes. Weird.

China does compete with low cost labor, artificially low exchange rate and unacceptable work conditions and environmental laws but this anger should be directed towards those that make the laws and not individual companies or charities.

lworbey

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

I emailed Oliver Heald (North Herts MP) and got a response a mere 2 hours later thanking me for bringing the project to his attention and saying he would write to the Treasury Members and let me know of their response.

Its something I guess, quite impressed at the quick reply!

mattsgreen

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

At the end of the day the aim of the Organisation is to promote the Education of Computer Science.

The reason they are outsourcing to the Far East, as they have said, is to make a profit. All the profit that they make will be put back into the Education.

I agree with what people are saying, its not ideal, but that's just a sacrifice that has to be made to move the organisation forward.

spamel

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:43 pm

I think I shall write to my local MP also, even though I would never vote for her whilst she remains with one of the big two parties, she is a damned fine woman and never fails to reply to emails or letters and that alone impresses me in this day and age!

TheLaw

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:09 pm

lworbey said:

Probably should take that up with the government that seem to not want any manufacturing in the country. And this is true for most european governments it seems.

I think the tax thing is a bit of a red herring. They priced it wrongly and then had a choice of changing where they said they would build it or change the "headline" price. They chose the former. This whole project has been pretty much fluffed up in various ways.

TheLaw

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

TheEponymousBob said

I've not been long here at this forum, but sometimes the transition from a sense of community to a sense of entitlement can give you whiplash.

Sense of entitlement…hmm ok. I presume you are talking about me feeling entitled not to be bullshitted to. Yep. We were told it was going to be made in the UK.

hellsing

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:26 pm

youpi!

great news

grumpyoldgit

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:41 pm

TheLaw said:

TheEponymousBob said

I"ve not been long here at this forum, but sometimes the transition from a sense of community to a sense of entitlement can give you whiplash.

Sense of entitlement…hmm ok. I presume you are talking about me feeling entitled not to be bullshitted to. Yep. We were told it was going to be made in the UK.

I would still be curious to know where you think your PC has been made?

Joules

Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Or the material in your rare earth magnets that allow your hard disk to function.

mightygoose

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:19 pm

or the lithium for the battery in your mobile phone/laptop/tablet for that matter?

jwatte

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Joules said:

Or the material in your rare earth magnets that allow your hard disk to function.

They have magnets in flash drives?

Spinny disks are so 2008. Even the low-cost champion Raspberry Pi uses flash for storage!

(And a RevoDrive beats the pants off any SATA disk for performance)

Sylvain

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:45 pm

mattsgreen said:

The reason they are outsourcing to the Far East, as they have said, is to make a profit. All the profit that they make will be put back into the Education.

And what will you say to those "well educated" children when they will enter the labor market  : "I cant' make profit with this wage level, all those working time limits and all those taxes ... I prefer to have this made in China/india/..." ?

No ???

Sylvain.

jwatte

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:48 pm

TheLaw said:

They priced it wrongly

They priced it based on meeting specific goals: Making "hack it yourself" computing fun and relatively risk-free. Without a $25 "box," they can't meet that goal. The "make it in the UK" part seems to be something that came later, when it appeared they might be able to do it.

If their options are "meet the educational main goals" or "meet the keep-it-domestic sub-goal," then it's smart to opt for meeting the main goal.

FWIW, they can probably source a few hundred boards a month from the UK at target prices, and then go to Far East for volume beyond that, and still support UK manufacturing. Although in my personal opinion, I tend to be very country agnostic — not having a particular loyalty to any one place of manufacture, as long as requirements are met.

scep

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:13 pm

TheLaw said:

I am severely disappointed ... I am out, no RPi for me ... unacceptable... it's a disgrace ...I would rather not have any RPi at all.

Well, it's a shame to lose you. The "Logout" button is at the top of the page just under the topic heading.

It looks like this:

spurious

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:21 pm

Fantastic news about the manufacture!

I am sad to see so many looking at purely negatives...

I agree with the reasons for remote production

There are multiple reasons for the high UK prices

Greed being the number one cause

Greed from company bosses wanting to make too much profit

Greed from workers wanting big pay rises year on year

Greed from politicians signing up to EU schemes thinking they will get something for nothing

But the R-Pi project is not about Greed, it's about giving!

So please stop being negative and thank these guys for the fantastic work they are doing!

Return to “General discussion”