Lynbarn

Re: We've hit the big red button - manufacture has started.

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

BlueClogger said:

Have you noticed how the forum member numbers have been going up in the last few days - a couple of hundred more today.  Don't think you need to worry about the level of interest...  Keep those production lines rolling!

I've taken the liberty of setting up an ePetition on the Government website, based on Liz's home page post. It might take up to 7 days before it's approved, and it probably won't have any effect on government tax policy, but you never know! If 100,000 people sign up, then at least they'll talk about it in The House!

gimliflea

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:28 pm

I've taken the liberty of setting up an ePetition on the Government website, based on Liz's home page post. It might take up to 7 days before it's approved, and it probably won't have any effect on government tax policy, but you never know! If 100,000 people sign up, then at least they'll talk about it in The House!

You beat me to it! Please post when it becomes available to sign.

Great news thank you all.

mightygoose

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

and maybe create a new thread for it when it appears. Then we can spread the word to /. & reddit.

spamel

Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:39 pm

This country is backwards, fancy making it more expensive to make something here than to make it abroad. No wonder unemployment is the way it is, no wonder our manufacturing is in tatters, what a crap country!

Big up to team RasPi, you have been forced into a position you may not have wanted to be in but the end result will hopefully be almost the same, just a shame British manufacturing couldn"t benefit from the project but we know who is to blame there.

brandonduda

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:37 pm

So...   Made in China?

A little disheartening, but I'll still be purchasing one none the less.

Maybe, down the line, a small percentage of the manufacturing could be sent to the smaller places in the UK to stimulate the economy there.  While the bulk are still sent overseas, several smaller places make some of them who may in turn make enough profit to upsize their business?

Either way I'm doing the happy dance!

Benedict White

Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Lynbarn said:

BlueClogger said:

Have you noticed how the forum member numbers have been going up in the last few days - a couple of hundred more today.  Don't think you need to worry about the level of interest...  Keep those production lines rolling!

Now that is a plan. I read Liz's post and banged my head against the table.

Between the treasury and large manufactures we seem to be throwing business away in this country.

That said, Liz, can you try to look at making 10K batch production between several UK manufacturers assuming the tax issues can be resolved as that will help the good UK manufacturers which will be really useful.

mp09aap

Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:42 am

from what liz wrote the first batch of 10000 was too small for some manufactures to make it cheep and to be quick enough. when the 3rd batch of atleast a few 100k it would be posible to manufacture in the uk. still more expensive than china due to taxes.

overall you have done your reaserch and well done

Mezo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:12 am

Absolute ludicrous that a UK designed product has to be manufactured overseas,

and the politicians bleating on about creating jobs in a jobless market?

UK manufacturing has gone backwards in the last few decades & England is now just a consumer economy, very sad.

Still i couldn't give a hoot anymore about the UK, i left years ago & ill enjoy playing with my "Made in Asia" Pi & the UK will slip further & further in to oblivion.

Hope your reading this Cameron.

Mezo.

rajn

Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:54 am

Congrats . Cant wait to place the order and get my hands on raspberry pi ..

Chromatix

Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:09 am

Very unfortunate about having to manufacture abroad.  I hope the local manufacturers take note that their high prices cost them some business.  I also hope that the Govt. is eventually able to learn from this.

With that said, would a continental European manufacturer be potentially usable?  I don't know very much about this, but at least parts of Europe still have a viable manufacturing industry which would be closer to home.  Or is the tax situation almost as bad?
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Davespice
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 am

treczoks

Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:13 am

Production started! A BIG Ho-ray, Ho-ray, Ho-Ray! for the team!

B1ackbeard said:

By the way, you can expect the Chinese to be copying your product as we type!

Sorry, but that's China.

Yep. Second that. With one of our products, they even asked for circuit diagrams and program sources(!) for the "verification of production processes" .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:08 am

treczoks said:

B1ackbeard said:

Sorry, but that's China.

Yep. Second that. With one of our products, they even asked for circuit diagrams and program sources(!) for the "verification of production processes" .

Not really a problem, the more boards out there the better. However, they are going to be rather stumped when they try and get hold of the SoC at the prices the foundation gets.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Wooloomooloo

Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:42 am

JamesH said:

treczoks said:

B1ackbeard said:

Sorry, but that's China.

Not really a problem, the more boards out there the better. However, they are going to be rather stumped when they try and get hold of the SoC at the prices the foundation gets.

I'd be surprised if they even tried. Important as it is, I'm not sure the Pi is "big enough" to get their attention. But if it does, I'd bet they just take the cheapest equivalent-or-better obscure-local-SoC-du-jour, stick it in and start churning out boatloads of it. I don't think a 1:1 copy would be likely.

Hugh Reynolds

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:07 am

Lynbarn said:

BlueClogger said:

Interesting how UK R&C get so much of our tax system wrong.  Interesting but not a surprise.  Note the discussion on R4 this morning about income tax and property tax.  Even the contributors seemed incredulous at the incompetence.  In a vain hope I will sign that petition.  It is unlikely that a government minister will be able to influence the established ‘it’s just not possible’ attitude of R&C.

There is little point in expensively developing enterprise zones and other artificial policy machines if the basic foundation of wealth creation are stymied by incongruous tax differentials.

I run a small electronic design and manufacture company and was very worried the promise of $35 would come back to haunt the foundation.  Reinforced when the blog suggested even getting quotes from the UK was difficult.  I am not surprised manufacture has moved offshore.  Not surprised but disappointed that the CEMs in this country are so blinkered. We have even found manufacturing in the USA is less expensive than the UK (even though they speak a foreign language in the USA).  I have the fear that the required testing may yet haunt the foundation.  It seems to me that arranging the connectors on all sides of the board may have cut the PCB cost by £0.50 per unit but will probably put up the testing cost by £1.00 and as Liz has pointed out every penny counts.

Like many I am euphoric about the project with the foundation catalysing so many long talked about (in the pub) problems and solutions.  I don’t mean for this post to be negative in tone.  More power with your Pi...!

Joules

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:15 am

Pi and Pub nights... Genius, we need to organise these across the country as soon as the Pi"s are baked and delivered.

Hugh Reynolds

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:37 am

Joules said:

Pi and Pub nights... Genius, we need to organise these across the country as soon as the Pi"s are baked and delivered.

As long as we only talk about real rugby and not rugby league.

Joules

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:44 am

Is that some obscure programming language ?

Hugh Reynolds

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 am

Joules said:

From memory:

The IDE was affectionately called MPD short for MuddyPitchDrama

The class repository could be viewed with a tool called EddieWaring

As the language was derived from a procedural paradigm, known as Fist-Chin-Ouch, classes and utilities were known as ‘tools’.

Well known utility ‘tools’ were BluffBloke, a refined syntax parser and AussieRules which could be used to obfuscate code and allow forward references, sometimes known as forward passes.

During compile time errors would be reported to the ‘SinBin’ where disputes could be resolved by the ‘GentlemanInBlack’.

However I can't get this block quoting stuff to work.....

Prometheus

Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 am

Congratulations, RPi team!

It's a shame that the tax situation here is as utterly barmy as it is, but hopefully that will change in the future.

Good luck with everything from here on out!

meltwater

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 am

JamesH said:

treczoks said:

Production started! A BIG Ho-ray, Ho-ray, Ho-Ray! for the team!

B1ackbeard said:

Sorry, but that's China.

Yep. Second that. With one of our products, they even asked for circuit diagrams and program sources(!) for the "verification of production processes"  .

Hopefully they won't "lose" a few thousand SoC's somewhere...although I expect they've been thoroughly X-Rayed by now (although I imagine that wouldn't help much).  Perhaps they will re-engineer with a different SoC, if so hopefully it'll be easy to spot (i.e. allow you to know what you are buying).  They may even produce alternative flavours too, as long as they stick with the price level, it is all good (and part of the revolution the R-pi will hopefully bring).  If they sell, they will make a version of it!

Still, once things get underway, and the R-Pi plans are released (which they said they will do), they should see their factory churning out thousands of boards each day, hopefully they'll come knocking on Broadcom's door for a few 100k of chips.

1. Excellent news that the first batch of R-Pi's are on their way.

2. Big shame about the UK manufacture side of it, will look forward to the e-pet, perhaps it's something else the R-Pi can trigger a fix for!

3.  No problem with it being done outside the uk though, everything else is done that way.  At least the foundation tried, and that is more than most companies would bother with!

Any details of the process would be interesting (no real use to me but wouldn't mind knowing and may answer some people's questions, being noisy etc)...

1. I take it the components are supplied directly to the manufacturers from the suppliers (both of which are overseas anyway), also are the PCBs manufactured at the same place?

2. Once the boards are completed, either fully or hopefully in batches, are they shipped (surface or by air?) to R-Pi HQ or directly to the logistical company being used.

3. Which stage are they packaged for the customer? Also where are they tested, at manufacture or also before shipping?

Anyway, congrats again!  Looking forward to hearing when batch 2, 3 and 4 are underway, which means all is great with planet R-Pi and also that your mortgages are safe.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

Lakes

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 am

Congrats on Production Start!

arwen

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:40 am

Really happy to hear this today. Hopefully I will get one in time for my birthday! (Mum has no idea what else to get me )

B1ackbeard

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

FatBuzz said:

Lynbarn said:

BlueClogger said:

More power with your Pi...!

Now, there's another strap line - fantastic!

Robert_M

Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

Joules said:

Yes. That would be "Rugby on Rails."
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Return to “General discussion”