Mettauk

PCB connector confusion

Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:59 pm

I am adapting an 18v DC supply for a project and it comes with 240v AC input and 18v DC output but I don't recognise the board connectors. I managed to find the male pins on ebay but cant find the female version to connect my wiring? Pins are approx 5mm pitch and are square 1.17mm x 1.17mm x 11mm high.
Any ideas?
18vTransformer2.jpg
18vTransformer2.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 761 times
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

The Traveler

Re: PCB connector confusion

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:12 pm

Do you know what device this power supply is from? It looks like it came out of something else and knowing what it was would help a bit.
Last edited by The Traveler on Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

hippy

Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:55 pm

Those headers are quite common in products I have dismantled. Unfortunately I have no idea what they are called. I usually just use the connectors cut off whatever they used to connect to.

You can always unsolder the pins, replace them with screw terminal blocks, or solder on flying wires to choc-block.

davidcoton

Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:27 pm

They used to be known as "Molex" connectors, but Molex manufactures a wide range of connectors now, and this format is an industry standard.
You can buy "Molex PCB connector housings" and "Molex PCB connector contacts" separately, the contacts crimp or solder to individual wires and are then pushed into the housing.
Since you are on Zarg I don't know what supplier to recommend, delivery charges could be astronomical :o :shock: (HINT: set your location to something more useful if you want sensible help.)
Signature retired

Mettauk

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 pm

I only know molex as the old round pin connectors, usually in computers for connecting drives. These are square and a little smaller. Without a reference I'm finding it really hard to find the right thing!
Oh and in my case Zarg is currently in Brexitland!
As humans we have been the same for a very very long time, technology changes how we do... not who we are as people.

Mettauk

Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:16 pm

The Traveler wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:12 pm
Do you know what device this power supply is from? It looks like it came out of another device and knowing what it was would help a bit.
No idea what it is from, but it is a standard JY-72-18 PSU.

davidcoton

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:31 pm

Mettauk wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:11 pm
I only know molex as the old round pin connectors, usually in computers for connecting drives. These are square and a little smaller. Without a reference I'm finding it really hard to find the right thing!
Oh and in my case Zarg is currently in Brexitland!
If the pitch is correct they should be interchangable. Look up Molex at CPC or RS.
And yes, Brexitland deserves to be called Zarg.
Signature retired

The Traveler

Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:51 pm

Here ya go: https://www.overclock.net/forum/31-powe ... mbers.html has a listing of connector part numbers and https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/ ... ND/3160341 has drawings.

I thought they looked familiar. Molex MiniFit Jr. series. You can chase down the part #'s listed in the first link, and if you dig around you'll find the drawings in the second link and that should lead you to what you need.

Cheers
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

Return to “General discussion”