mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Thinking of writing a technical FAQ

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:14 am

I have a few FAQ:

Why does windows want to format my SD-card?

probably the most asked technical question is:
Why does my PI not boot.

and yes, all my "common pitfall" sticky posts.

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am

How about lifting all of the sticky posts? Editting them as a well structured FAQ then removing the stickiness on the forum. That would make the forum easier to use.

The common FAQ you need to add, however you do it is: How do I start a program at boot up? Then list all of /etc/rc.local, /etc/systemd/system/myown.service, crontab -e [with a @reboot line], sudo crontab -e [which runs as root], /etc/cron.d [the official way to have system crons], /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,hourly,monthly} [run for you on a time schedule]. And for GUI Xwindows things /home/pi/.config/autostart, /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart [and anything else you can think of].
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bensimmo

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:07 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:56 am
How about lifting all of the sticky posts? Editting them as a well structured FAQ then removing the stickiness on the forum. That would make the forum easier to use.

The common FAQ you need to add, however you do it is: How do I start a program at boot up? Then list all of /etc/rc.local, /etc/systemd/system/myown.service, crontab -e [with a @reboot line], sudo crontab -e [which runs as root], /etc/cron.d [the official way to have system crons], /etc/cron.{daily,weekly,hourly,monthly} [run for you on a time schedule]. And for GUI Xwindows things /home/pi/.config/autostart, /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart [and anything else you can think of].
Like a short sentence and a link to this (and the link in it to cron), but expanded these sections as HowTo's also
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... c-local.md
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ge/cron.md

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:52 pm

That's the way to do it, having massive sections with howto's in a FAQ just makes them unweildy. Short descriptions + links is the way to go.

I'll add these latest suggestions now.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “General discussion”