Melticus

Re: Multiple Frame buffer beta testers wanted

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:34 pm

thanks procount and Jamesh.

Overscan worked. excellent

However now when I run fbi I get an error On the screen I get "loading /dev/fb1 [ppm parser] FAILED (EDIT: It still displays the image but to the default fb. (fb0))

It was working before and I tried reverting the overscan parameter and using the true tty with ctrl alt f1. But It just refuses to work...

I am sorry if I am poluting this thread but I am sorta desperate at this point. delivering this app to a friend for his wedding reception.. A slideshow app.

Any help would be much appreciated.. So close!!

Melticus

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:41 pm

Aw Feck! Sorry guys.. Forgot the -d before the device!!
DOH!!
So Tired!!
Please scratch my last post!! All working now...

I deserve your scorn!

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 pm

That's quite a milestone. Great work, James.

jamesh

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:58 pm

epg wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:53 pm
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:58 pm
OK, here is a link to a new kernel image, goes in boot folder as usual

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f-f5c ... cOI4FbGgxL
Hi Jamesh,
latest kernel image breaks something in the network area.
I can't ping the raspy anymore (I use the integrated wifi) and, moreover, my wireless Logitech K400r keyboard stopped working (it connects to the Raspi via a proprietary Logitech USB dongle, so doesn't use the wifi channels).

I have seen an error in the console when booting, but I'm not able to log in to do further analysis because I don't have a USB keyboard.

Replacing the latest kernel7.img with the previous one, network and keyboard work as expected.

Maybe there's something wrong with the latest image?

Bye, Epg.
You will need the original set of changes from the first post, then copy this new kernel over that. I suspect you are missing the correct version of modules which shoudl be in the first set of changes. Basically, do what the first post says, then add this new kernel.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:00 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 pm
That's quite a milestone. Great work, James.
Thanks!

I suspect there might be a better setup for X, since I am using Xinerama which is supposed to have been replaced by xrandr. But not got that working.

One issue I have found, using the touch screen on an extended desktop doesn't give the results you might expect!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm

If you get RandR working that would certainly make things easier for the user. No need for a custom xorg.conf and standard tools like lxrandr could be used to configure the screens appropriately. However, I suspect it would mean adding support for on the fly changes of resolution, refresh rate, rotations and whatever else, which seems like another big chunk of work.

jamesh

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:06 pm
If you get RandR working that would certainly make things easier for the user. No need for a custom xorg.conf and standard tools like lxrandr could be used to configure the screens appropriately. However, I suspect it would mean adding support for on the fly changes of resolution, refresh rate, rotations and whatever else, which seems like another big chunk of work.
Not even sure some of that is even possible without massive rewrites of the GPU firmware. Might be able to manage a subset.

Melticus

Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Hi again. Intellegent question this time:

I dont need dual X displays. Happy to work with the FB1 and fbi.

So My last problem! At boot, X boots on HDMI and my 7inch display defaults as FB1.

I want it the other way around. I want the x to output to the 7 inch display and the HDMI for my images.

What can I do? is it to do with the conf2 command you are describing?

[EDIT: tried display_default_LCD = 1 in the config.txt. Did not work]

epg

Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am

jamesh wrote:
epg wrote:
jamesh wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:58 pm
OK, here is a link to a new kernel image, goes in boot folder as usual

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f-f5c ... cOI4FbGgxL
Hi Jamesh,
I can't ping the raspy anymore (I use the integrated wifi) and, moreover, my wireless Logitech K400r keyboard stopped working (it connects to the Raspi via a proprietary Logitech USB dongle, so doesn't use the wifi channels).

I have seen an error in the console when booting, but I'm not able to log in to do further analysis because I don't have a USB keyboard.

Replacing the latest kernel7.img with the previous one, network and keyboard work as expected.

Bye, Epg.
You will need the original set of changes from the first post, then copy this new kernel over that. I suspect you are missing the correct version of modules which shoudl be in the first set of changes. Basically, do what the first post says, then add this new kernel.
Hi Jamesh,
I followed the instructions on your first post and multiple framebuffer works (see my post here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=50#p1344483): modules are aligned with the kernel version, so I don't have any problem with network / keyboard.
Now I would try your latest kernel7.img (from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f-f5c ... cOI4FbGgxL) and simply copying that kernel7.img file in /boot leads to an error in boot process. Linux boots but it seems that modules are not loaded properly.

Please note that before I copy your latest kernel7.img the modules are supposed to be already suitable for the multiple framebuffer kernel, and multi fb works (in real console mode, no X started) with the kernel7.img (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rdSZQ ... 89nLaLA8Y6) in your first post. IMHO there is a mismatch between your latest kernel7.img and the kernel modules installed with sudo rpi-update fe525d2.

Bye, Epg.

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:14 am

epg wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:12 am
jamesh wrote:
epg wrote:

Hi Jamesh,

Bye, Epg.
Hi Jamesh,
I followed the instructions on your first post and multiple framebuffer works (see my post here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216399&start=50#p1344483): modules are aligned with the kernel version, so I don't have any problem with network / keyboard.
Now I would try your latest kernel7.img (from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1f-f5c ... cOI4FbGgxL) and simply copying that kernel7.img file in /boot leads to an error in boot process. Linux boots but it seems that modules are not loaded properly.

Please note that before I copy your latest kernel7.img the modules are supposed to be already suitable for the multiple framebuffer kernel, and multi fb works (in real console mode, no X started) with the kernel7.img (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rdSZQ ... 89nLaLA8Y6) in your first post. IMHO there is a mismatch between your latest kernel7.img and the kernel modules installed with sudo rpi-update fe525d2.

Bye, Epg.
Hmm. I'll zip up the modules and zImage and provide a new link sometime this morning. Probably easier than trying to figure out what's going on.

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 am

Melticus wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:25 pm
Hi again. Intellegent question this time:

I dont need dual X displays. Happy to work with the FB1 and fbi.

So My last problem! At boot, X boots on HDMI and my 7inch display defaults as FB1.

I want it the other way around. I want the x to output to the 7 inch display and the HDMI for my images.

What can I do? is it to do with the conf2 command you are describing?

[EDIT: tried display_default_LCD = 1 in the config.txt. Did not work]
The X config file above has a ServerLayou entry that will start X on the fb1.

startx -- -layout Singlehead1

You can also

startx -- -layout Singlehead0 (this is the default anyway)

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am

Ah, for those wanting to use the latest kernel image, probably best to rpi update

`sudo rpi-update d985893a`

Will get you a 4.14.56 level set of kernel modules which should match the kernel linked above. Sorry, I forgot I had rebased my frame buffer tree which bumped the kernel version.

Only do this on systems you can afford to break! But I suppose since you are using beta software, you have already taken that in to account...haven't you?

Melticus

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am

Hi @jamesh

Thanks for the help.
Just want to be clear on what I need to do when I go home today if you dont mind. I assume you mean:
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ?
The file you share above does not have this section entry. Do you mind giving me the syntax?

As I have not updated to your most recent kernel image. is it sufficient to add this change to the existing .conf file.

I assume it is added to the file as another ServerLayout section and looks like one of the others. This is all the server layout sections in the conf file:

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Singlehead0"
Screen 0 "ScreenTurbo0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Singlehead1"
Screen 0 "ScreenTurbo1"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "MultiheadSlow"
Screen 0 "ScreenDev0"
Screen 1 "ScreenDev1" rightof "ScreenDev0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "SingleheadSlow0"
Screen 0 "ScreenDev0"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "SingleheadSlow1"
Screen 0 "ScreenDev1"
EndSection

DirkS

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 pm

Melticus wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am
As I have not updated to your most recent kernel image. is it sufficient to add this change to the existing .conf file.
No, replace the contents with the stuff that James posted
You may have to change the startup options in raspi-config: set it boot to command line (autologin is up to you).
If the command line comes up on the wrong screen you can change that. See top post by James (modify /boot/cmdline.txt)

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm

Hi,
I finaly have some time for testing multiple Frame buffer Support, but I have a questions which I'ld like you to answer upfront before I start Messing around with testings.

I've decided for below setup:
- Manga Screen 2 (https://www.thing-printer.com/product/manga-screen/) connected to HDMI
- a 12.1in WXGA resolution display connected to DPI interface (using my LVDS adapter board)

Problem: both display will require dedicated timing details in the config.txt file in order to work correctly.

For the Manga 2 it is:

Code: Select all

max_framebuffer_width=1920
max_framebuffer_height=1920
framebuffer_depth=32

framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080

# custom HDMI mode
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=1080 1 100 10 50 1920 1 2 2 2 0 0 0 60 0 144400000 3
and for the WXGA display I will need

dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87
dpi_output_format=461847
hdmi_timings=1280 1 40 1 1 800 1 12 2 1 0 0 0 60 0 80000000 5
As you can see from the code, Manga 2 also requires to configure the framebuffer. This is due to the fact that this display is a portrait mode display which will be used in landscape mode. Yes, it's possible to ommit these settigs and go with portrait mode, but this stil leaves me with the question how to deal with one 'hdmi_timings' for two displays.

I was always asking myself why this isn't called something like 'dpi_timings' (which would make perfect sense as there is also 'dpi_group' and 'dpi_mode' and 'dpi_output_format' (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md).

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:14 pm

aBUGSworstnightmare wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:49 pm
Hi,
I finaly have some time for testing multiple Frame buffer Support, but I have a questions which I'ld like you to answer upfront before I start Messing around with testings.

I've decided for below setup:
- Manga Screen 2 (https://www.thing-printer.com/product/manga-screen/) connected to HDMI
- a 12.1in WXGA resolution display connected to DPI interface (using my LVDS adapter board)

Problem: both display will require dedicated timing details in the config.txt file in order to work correctly.

For the Manga 2 it is:

max_framebuffer_width=1920
max_framebuffer_height=1920
framebuffer_depth=32

framebuffer_width=1920
framebuffer_height=1080

# custom HDMI mode
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_timings=1080 1 100 10 50 1920 1 2 2 2 0 0 0 60 0 144400000 3
and for the WXGA display I will need

dpi_group=2
dpi_mode=87
dpi_output_format=461847
hdmi_timings=1280 1 40 1 1 800 1 12 2 1 0 0 0 60 0 80000000 5
As you can see from the code, Manga 2 also requires to configure the framebuffer. This is due to the fact that this display is a portrait mode display which will be used in landscape mode. Yes, it's possible to ommit these settigs and go with portrait mode, but this stil leaves me with the question how to deal with one 'hdmi_timings' for two displays.

I was always asking myself why this isn't called something like 'dpi_timings' (which would make perfect sense as there is also 'dpi_group' and 'dpi_mode' and 'dpi_output_format' (https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md).
I really have no idea how that will pan out. TBH, your situation is very much an edge case.

You are right that some of the naming for config.txt is vague, indeed downright misleading, this is historical. I'd like to change a lot of this stuff, but it's difficult to do a good job without breaking backwards compatibility. I'll see what people in the office think.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm

jamesh wrote: I really have no idea how that will pan out. TBH, your situation is very much an edge case.

You are right that some of the naming for config.txt is vague, indeed downright misleading, this is historical. I'd like to change a lot of this stuff, but it's difficult to do a good job without breaking backwards compatibility. I'll see what people in the office think.
yes, you might be right in saying this is an 'edge case situation'. But what if there is a HDMI-to-xyz bridge chip (either LVDS/DPI/MIPI-DSI ... whatever you like the most) on a Compute-Module baseboard and DPI is to be used as a second Display (i.e. POS, industrial scale, Kiosk System , etc).

Would this be 'edge case' as well? I would call it a very common SOC-System-based use case.

Anyhow, will do some test with the RPi 7in + module connected to DPI....

EDIT: What happens if there is a Standard HDMI Monitor connected while the config.txt contains a 'hdmi_timings' line? Wouldn't this screw up HDMI output?

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:33 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:25 pm
jamesh wrote: I really have no idea how that will pan out. TBH, your situation is very much an edge case.

yes, you might be right in saying this is an 'edge case situation'. But what if there is a HDMI-to-xyz bridge chip (either LVDS/DPI/MIPI-DSI ... whatever you like the most) on a Compute-Module baseboard and DPI is to be used as a second Display (i.e. POS, industrial scale, Kiosk System , etc).

Would this be 'edge case' as well? I would call it a very common SOC-System-based use case.

Anyhow, will do some test with the RPi 7in + module connected to DPI....
Maybe, but difficult to know if it's going to be very common since its not actually possible at the moment. Anyway, have pinged some people internally to see if its worth breaking some backwards compatibility to make the config entries more sensible.

I did test a DPI display in combination with HDMI (before I got multi screen X going) and it did work fine.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm

Understood! Will test and report back (for LCD and HDMI, both with DPI Display attached).
Let's see what the feedback of your guys at RPI foundation is.

Note: using bridge chips is not new business. Simply look at the official 7in where MIPI-DSI is bridged to DPI :shock:

jamesh

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:37 pm
Understood! Will test and report back (for LCD and HDMI, both with DPI Display attached).
Let's see what the feedback of your guys at RPI foundation is.

Note: using bridge chips is not new business. Simply look at the official 7in where MIPI-DSI is bridged to DPI :shock:
I know all about bridge chips. Unfortunately.

AiRSpectruM

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm

After doing the update upon reboot I get an error

0.172254] bcm2708_fb soc:fb: Unable to determine number of FB's. Assuming 1

Is there someplace where I am supposed to define the number of monitors?
It boots only to my LCD so is it just not finding my HDMI?

I thought I did everything properly in the update, followed the steps as best as I could.

Thanks for the help!

Melticus

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 pm

You guys are legends!! Excellent work on the system.

I got my application working just in time for my friends wedding tomorrow. its a wedding gift. I will be running the OS over a full day. I'll let you know any running issues.

So now I will work on the extended desktop as this is the right way to do it.well but the pressure is off:-)

Thanks again!!
M

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:18 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:20 am
Ah, for those wanting to use the latest kernel image, probably best to rpi update

`sudo rpi-update d985893a`

Will get you a 4.14.56 level set of kernel modules which should match the kernel linked above. Sorry, I forgot I had rebased my frame buffer tree which bumped the kernel version.

Only do this on systems you can afford to break! But I suppose since you are using beta software, you have already taken that in to account...haven't you?
Can you rebuild it on 4.14.58 as that was released yesterday by Popcornmix?
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

DirkS

Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:30 pm

Melticus wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:16 pm
You guys are legends!! Excellent work on the system.

I got my application working just in time for my friends wedding tomorrow. its a wedding gift. I will be running the OS over a full day. I'll let you know any running issues.
Great! Hope it all works well.

jamesh

Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:25 am

AiRSpectruM wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm
After doing the update upon reboot I get an error

0.172254] bcm2708_fb soc:fb: Unable to determine number of FB's. Assuming 1

Is there someplace where I am supposed to define the number of monitors?
It boots only to my LCD so is it just not finding my HDMI?

I thought I did everything properly in the update, followed the steps as best as I could.

Thanks for the help!
That implies the firmware has not been updated to the multiframe buffer version. Double check that you are using the correct start_x.elf, and that you have start_x=1 in /boot/config.txt

Return to “General discussion”