jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Forum Shuffle

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:39 am

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 am
Could you move your announcement post into announcements as well?
Still trying to decide what to do with that one.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mfa298

Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:17 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:34 am
Could you move your announcement post into announcements as well?
I'd 2nd that. It might also want splitting into a few topics. (Documentation updates, Conformance docs, etc.)

There might still be a place for an announcement sticky within this forum but only as a pointer to recent announcements of significant interest (significant software / hardware updates etc.) which are then cleared out after a pre-determined amount of time (leaving the main announcement in the announcements category).

davidcoton

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Could we have a separate section for "How-Tos" and similar tutorials, and the bile that sometimes goes with them?( See this.)
Positively, it would make it much easier to find tutorials.
Negatively, it would make it much easier to ignore the angst.
Signature retired

Heater

Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 pm

Howto's and tutorials have no place on a forum.

A forum is just random chit-chat, questions, answers, different answers, other different answers, ensuing argument and debate. God help anyone following the conversation in the future trying to figure out what is correct amid all that noise.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh

Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:03 am

Heater wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:49 pm
Howto's and tutorials have no place on a forum.

A forum is just random chit-chat, questions, answers, different answers, other different answers, ensuing argument and debate. God help anyone following the conversation in the future trying to figure out what is correct amid all that noise.
In a strange quirk of fate, I find myself agreeing with heater. We have tutorial and howto's on the main website, and if there are things on the forum I think need to be tutorials, I try and find time to update the docs to reflect that. Note though, that this process could also be easily done by third parties, so if anyone DOES feel that something on the forums would be a useful resource in the docs, they can write them up and submit a pull request. It doesn't have to be me!
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bensimmo

Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:41 am

There has been a suggestion that with the recent "Android" revival from The MagPi.
that Android section should be enabled for chat.
Any the forum starts to actually acknowledge it's existence ;-)

Suggestions in here.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216980&p=1334508#p1334508

The locked forum where things get moved to but nobody can reply or help out.
viewforum.php?f=73

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:03 am

bensimmo wrote:
There has been a suggestion that with the recent "Android" revival from The MagPi.
that Android section should be enabled for chat.
Any the forum starts to actually acknowledge it's existence ;-)

Suggestions in here.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=216980&p=1334508#p1334508

The locked forum where things get moved to but nobody can reply or help out.
viewforum.php?f=73

Should emteriaOS be under Android or Android Things ? or should both be in one forum ?
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

bensimmo

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am

I'd just go for one forum sectinon at the moment. Keeps it simple, unless it suddenly is overwhelmed with chat, which I doubt.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:11 am

bensimmo wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:10 am
I'd just go for one forum sectinon at the moment. Keeps it simple, unless it suddenly is overwhelmed with chat, which I doubt.

There is a Community Android Forum

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!forum/android-rpi
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

jamesh

Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:29 am

bensimmo wrote:
I wish that article had never been published. They didn't ask any engineers or forum people prior to publishing. This distro is nothing to do with us, needs to be PAID for, and we will not be supporting it here.

scotty101

Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am

jamesh wrote:
bensimmo wrote:
I wish that article had never been published. They didn't ask any engineers or forum people prior to publishing. This distro is nothing to do with us, needs to be PAID for, and we will not be supporting it here.
If only the RPF had some kind of control over the official magazine...... :roll:

(I thought the same thing! Why are they promoting a "paid for" android variant?)
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

hippy

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:00 am

scotty101 wrote:
(I thought the same thing! Why are they promoting a "paid for" android variant?)
I would guess it's because there is not really anything else out there. It is actually free but the free version does have limitations; will only run for a certain time and is watermarked on the screen. That will suit some people but for those it doesn't there is a low-cost license available for purchase which removes those restrictions.

Google's Android Things though is entirely free. That however is not the familiar 'Android Desktop' people have on their phones and tablets; it launches the user's app whenever it starts. It is similar to Windows IoT set against Windows Desktop in that regard.

All these 'Android' products are all derived from the same AOSP Android so it makes sense to me to include them in a single "Android" forum though I would not be opposed to placing an Android Things sub-section alongside that of Windows IoT as they are comparable.

bensimmo

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:20 pm

scotty101 wrote:
jamesh wrote:
bensimmo wrote:
If only the RPF had some kind of control over the official magazine...... :roll:

They promote many 'paid for' products.
Some often very expensive.
I know some people don't like paying for software.
Though I'm personally not going to pay for Android either.

Google's Android is paid for by littering us with adverts and profiling you.

Microsoft does both, but not so much on the adverts. They do provide support, just not many use it.

Raspbian is paid for from the hardware sales so they can afford to pay for the developers.

Paul Webster

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 pm

A couple of pages earlier is another Android version that also requires payment.
RaspAnd from exton.se

fruitoftheloom

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:15 pm

Paul Webster wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:06 pm
A couple of pages earlier is another Android version that also requires payment.
RaspAnd from exton.se

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=217004

ejolson

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm

If further reorganization of the forums is still being considered, I would suggest "Windows 10 for IoT" be removed from "Other programming languages" and placed under "Other" in the Operating System Distributions section.

DirkS

Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:42 pm

ejolson wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:09 pm
If further reorganization of the forums is still being considered, I would suggest "Windows 10 for IoT" be removed from "Other programming languages" and placed under "Other" in the Operating System Distributions section.
That has been suggested several times already...

Return to “General discussion”