jbeale

finding older model RPi on the used market

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:29 pm

In another forum someone was asking how to make a sensor network more cheaply, with reference to the "Raspberry Shake" and "Raspberry Boom" devices, which use an R-Pi as controller plus add-on board with 24-bit 100 Hz ADC. The computing power needed for this use is low, so any of the versions of R-Pi work, including the original one. I was suggesting you can just buy early R-Pi boards cheap used, because most people want the latest and assume the old models are obsolete. Then I checked eBay and found used RPi boards are not so common, and the cheapest "buy it now" price I saw was around US$18 (!).

I have several older RPi boards I'm not using, and surely I'm not alone. Is there some other market I don't know about, or does the RPi really hold its value better than any other kind of computer?

bensimmo

Re: finding older model RPi on the used market

Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:40 pm

I think it is that people just don't sell them and put them in a draw.. or just use them.
For a lot of people they don't cost a lot.

And then the Zero also came along.. why buy an old Pi when you can get the Zero for not a lot, it uses less power and is a lot smaller.
The B's are power hungry iirc, the A a bit less..
But Zero/A+ and the B+ are better.
http://raspi.tv/2016/raspberry-pi-zero- ... ith-camera

Ronaldlees

Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 pm

I think part of it is that a large number of projects (including some commercial) use the Pi2 version 1 with the original SoC, and don't want to upgrade software for the newer boards and SoC (version 2). I'm in that camp myself, because I have a special build for the Cirrus audio board. So, occasionally I scan Ebay for the original Pi2, and when I find one it's usually listed for as much $$ as when it was new or even more :-(

Law of scarcity, I guess. Maybe there are some other projects using the other boards, and they keep the prices up.
I am the Umbrella man

W. H. Heydt

Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 pm

I find it odd that someone would balk at paying $35 for a Pi2B, Pi3B, or Pi3B+, or even $20 for an A+ when the original kickstarter for Raspberry Shake was over $100, and the Raspberry Boom is more like $200. If you can afford the Raspberry Shake, the Pi to go with it shouldn't be an issue.

Ronaldlees

Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:58 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:40 pm
I find it odd that someone would balk at paying $35 for a Pi2B, Pi3B, or Pi3B+, or even $20 for an A+ when the original kickstarter for Raspberry Shake was over $100, and the Raspberry Boom is more like $200. If you can afford the Raspberry Shake, the Pi to go with it shouldn't be an issue.
I guess we're spoiled by the plethora of nearly free computers. Then we want quantity, like we have megalomania. But - really - I've paid higher than original cost on Ebay a couple times already, which was easily worth it in my cases.
I am the Umbrella man

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:20 pm

I'm really quite surprised. Each model was made in large quantities, there should be plenty out there which you would expect to keep the price down.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hippy

Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:24 pm

In the UK there's a reasonable trickle of old Pi through CeX but I have only seen one at the car boot sales and charity shops I peruse. But it's not uncommon not to find things one thinks would be common and easy to find.

Of the 15 million sold, only [sic] 3.5 million were sold prior to the launch of the B+. Most probably went far and wide, aren't in massive numbers in any locale, are actually quite rare if averaged out.

Some may still be in use, others will have been damaged, but I expect most are sitting in drawers gathering dust. Some intended to be used later but I would bet quite a few were bought because people thought they must have one and then abandoned them like everything else they buy but never use. All forgotten about and awaiting disposal some day.

Some members here have proclaimed anything pre-2B to be virtually worthless so it wouldn't be surprising if owners don't consider it worth the effort to sell them if they can remember they have one going unused, can't even imagine anyone wanting to buy them or pay more than the listing fees.

Return to “General discussion”