RaspiPaspi

Fast booting pi?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:11 pm

I was hoping to build an interactive app for the pi as an art project. Similar to what I have been doing with the Arduino only with more power and well... a screen ;D

This Debian thing is really getting in the way of that though, the boot time alone is a bottleneck for my project and then using python I need to go through x which is just torture if you ask me.

I'd rather do some C in a kind of dos prompt or something, are there fast booting options like that (coming) to the pi?

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Fast booting pi?

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:27 pm

Why do you need to go through X to use Python? You can use python from the command line.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

RaspiPaspi

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:39 pm

I'm doing graphic related stuffs?!

shuckle

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Boot time is less than a minute. How fast should it be?

Burngate

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:59 pm

RISC OS will be a lot quicker, or bare-metal would be even quicker than that.

And a minute is long enough to hit the ground from 18Km

itimpi

Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:05 pm

My Pi actually boots in about 15 seconds if I do not want the GUI and that is the closest equivalent to a DOS command line. It is actually faster than I can get my PC's to boot to DOS because they insist on a Bios check.

DexOS

Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 pm

RaspiPaspi wrote:I was hoping to build an interactive app for the pi as an art project. Similar to what I have been doing with the Arduino only with more power and well... a screen ;D

This Debian thing is really getting in the way of that though, the boot time alone is a bottleneck for my project and then using python I need to go through x which is just torture if you ask me.

I'd rather do some C in a kind of dos prompt or something, are there fast booting options like that (coming) to the pi?
You could take a look at DexOS and DexBasic.
boot time take 1-3 second depending on setting's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc-5epQT ... el&list=UL

More info here:
http://www.dex-os.com/DexBasic/DexBasic.htm
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

summers

Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:24 am

Look at the kernel initramfs - if you build an inital file system up on that, and link in in with the kernel, you get *very* quick boot times on linux.

On my pandaboard that goes this route, the initramfs has started applications even before the kernel has managed to bring up the interface through to the SD card ... So the boot time is only a few seconds (may be under a second, can't quite recall).

RaspiPaspi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks for answering my question guys. A lot of the options sound way beyond my skill level but I'll have a go :D

sjwright

Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:42 am

Boot from a USB drive, much quicker than from a SD card. You'll still need a SD card to tell your RPi where the OS is on the USB stick though, but your reboots, overall performance and reliability will be much improved. Its worth investing in a decent USB flash drive though, I recommend the Corsair Voyager GT

naish21

Sun May 12, 2013 7:22 pm

My Raspberry boots as fast as 10s with Archlinux and no graphic interface.
Try that!

Return to “General discussion”