uilfut

heavily discounted Pi0Ws - new product announcement coming?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:25 am

So Pi0Ws are just $5 instore in US now, and no limit on how many you can buy:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/486575/Zero_W

Could this mean a new product launch coming and getting through current stock?

Maybe not launching until after Jam weekend?

I may be wrong :)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: heavily discounted Pi0Ws - new product announcement coming?

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:06 am

microcenter discount the Pi0W to $5 fairly regularly. every couple of months or so in the last year. I think they use it as a loss leader and it seems to work, at least for me :D

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 am

If there was a store within a reasonable distance, I'd take advantage of that.

Is there an announcement imminent? Possibly... Will it be an upgrade to the Pi0/Pi0W/Pi0WH? Extremely unlikely. Stay tuned to at least Monday.

DougieLawson

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 am

As always there's no point speculating. Anyone who knows of any potential product announcement can't tell you because of an NDA.

Microcenter selling as loss leader is, no doubt, a commercial decision on their part. Grab a bargain when you can.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bensimmo

Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:15 am

Or if it includes WiiFi/BT check the FCC everyday.
Or just don't worry and enjoy the weekend, I'm off to go beat Manchester and Leeds Raspberry Jam in the Birthday Bash Yorkshire Quiz. Not quite sure how I got dragged into a team leader.

HawaiianPi

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 am

That MicroCenter special started last year and as far as I can tell it's been their "normal" pricing ever since. It means nothing, they've been selling them like that for several months.

And the quantity pricing is not only higher than their $5 special, it's higher than the normal $10 price, because RPF only limits sales at the $10 price point. Most dealers solder on a header or bundle kits to give you some extra value for the higher price, but MicroCenter just sells the plain Pi Zero W for $14.99+ if you want more than one.

You can even buy Pi Zero/Zero W in large quantities direct from RPF/RPT, but you will pay more than the $5/$10 price there as well, and you'll need to buy a bunch (like a thousand).

Basically, the $5 Pi Zero and $10 Pi Zero W is an introductory price, and you are only allowed to buy ONE at that price. Literally ONE per customer. Not one per order as most dealers have been doing. It's supposed to be ONE per customer, and that's all. Of course that would be impossible to enforce across multiple dealers in multiple countries, so most dealers just limit you to one per order (and I was able to buy one of each on a single order).

So, thanks for sharing, but that sale at MicroCenter is old news, and quantity pricing has been available for awhile now as well.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 pm

One could also note that there is *always* a new product announcement coming. It's just that no one not under NDA knows when. Could be tomorrow...could be years away. But it's always "coming".

Burngate

Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

What slightly bothers me is the assumption that MicroCenter would know about it before the rest of us.
But not enough to make a song and dance about it. Unless the weather gets bad again, and I'm stuck indoors with nothing better to do than moan.
Should I moan about the weather, or Brexit, or the price of bread, or why MicroCenter don't have a shop in Sunningdale?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:15 pm

It's not like there haven't been weekend-before-the-Monday-release leaks by vendors, though it's generally the large ones, not the small ones.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:59 pm

There is a product announcement coming, and I expect it within the next year. Or maybe two. Or three.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

uilfut

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:37 pm

Yeah I appreciate it might be a loss leader. Just the person reporting this (on reddit - he'd deleted it now) said he bought 20!!

https://i.imgur.com/f8PboTH.png

Hence my close-out assumption :)

Probably nothing. Sorry to speculate if it bothers some people!

uilfut

Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:39 pm

PS Every time I've bought a Pi in the past, within two / three weeks (this has happened three times now!!) they announce an upgraded product...

So now that I'm thinking of buying a 0W I'm googling everywhere to find out if it's about to be upgraded :)

aMIGA_dUDE

Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:21 am

I am from the future and it turns out tomorrow is pink polka dots (You understand on 21/02/2019)

The next Pi will have 2 MHz MOS 6502 connected to flux capacitor. As such it will have unlimited processing power as just keep going back in time.

solar3000

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:08 am

Burngate wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm
What slightly bothers me is the assumption that MicroCenter would know about it before the rest of us.
But not enough to make a song and dance about it. Unless the weather gets bad again, and I'm stuck indoors with nothing better to do than moan.
Should I moan about the weather, or Brexit, or the price of bread, or why MicroCenter don't have a shop in Sunningdale?

They get stock before it is announced. So, yes, they do know well in advanced.

But the $5 pi 0 w is a regular. I bought several at $5 already.
Antikythera

Gavinmc42

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:45 am

The high demand for Zero's has always been known and they have perhaps now fixed the production limitations?
Or maybe people stopped buying them and volume built up?

There are now three versions of Zero's.
Maybe a fourth is coming, a Zero H?
That would have been a nice Feb 28th announcement :D
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:40 am

uilfut wrote:
PS Every time I've bought a Pi in the past, within two / three weeks (this has happened three times now!!) they announce an upgraded product...

So now that I'm thinking of buying a 0W I'm googling everywhere to find out if it's about to be upgraded :)
Have you considered buying an A+?

Gavinmc42

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:36 am

So it's your fault we did not get a Pi :lol:
Quick go buy one so in three weeks we can find out what the new one is. ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

DougieLawson

Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:38 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
uilfut wrote:

The A+ is a waste of money. It's the same processor as a Zero but half the RAM and four times the cost (twice the cost of a ZeroW). Buy a ZeroW it's a better option.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

droleary

Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:57 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:02 am
That MicroCenter special started last year and as far as I can tell it's been their "normal" pricing ever since. It means nothing, they've been selling them like that for several months.
No, things have changed a bit. MicroCenter seems to have month long sales specials. Yes, back in December when I was doing some holiday shopping I was pleased to find MC had the 0W for $5, but only for quantity 1 with that strangely huge bump to $15 for greater quantities. But everything went back to the normal $10 in January. Didn't check Feb, but I did look again at the start of March and was happy to see the $5 was back without a quantity limit.

I don't yet have any real need for a lot of them right now, but damn if it isn't tempting to stock up anyway! :D Yeah, I suppose I could always just wait and see if a better product is about to be announced soon, but the reality of technology has long been one of exponential growth. It's never a good time to buy a computer, but that doesn't mean you're better off never buying a computer. And even if a newer/better version of the Zero comes out before the end of the month at $10, it might still be worth it to get the current 0W for half that price.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:16 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:38 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
uilfut wrote:

The A+ is a waste of money. It's the same processor as a Zero but half the RAM and four times the cost (twice the cost of a ZeroW). Buy a ZeroW it's a better option.
The A+ has had 512MB RAM for quire some time. It also has the headers installed, a DSI connector, on-board power regulation/protection that the Pi0/Pi0W lack, full sized USB connector, a full sized HDMI connector, and the TRRS audio/composite video output. It really comes down to what features one wants, so the A+ is hardly a waste of money.

However, if every time Mr. Lawson buys a Pi, an upgraded version is released, then by buying an A+, rhe RPT will release the Pi3A, and that would be decidedly different that the Pi0/Pi0W. If when I bought a Pi an upgraded version came out, I'd've ordered an extra A+ long ago.

HawaiianPi

Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm

droleary wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:57 pm
No, things have changed a bit. MicroCenter seems to have month long sales specials. Yes, back in December when I was doing some holiday shopping I was pleased to find MC had the 0W for $5, but only for quantity 1 with that strangely huge bump to $15 for greater quantities. But everything went back to the normal $10 in January. Didn't check Feb, but I did look again at the start of March and was happy to see the $5 was back without a quantity limit.
You are mistaken about that. There has always been a quantity restriction.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/486575/Zero_W wrote: Raspberry Pi Zero W
AVAILABLE FOR IN-STORE PICKUP ONLY.

$10.00 SAVE $5.00
1 at $5.00 each
2-5 at $14.99 each
6+ at $19.99 each

droleary

Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:56 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:25 pm
You are mistaken about that. There has always been a quantity restriction.
No, it looks like they've actually changed their site in the last couple days to add that restriction. At best, we're all mistaken. Three cheers for the fluidity of digital advertising . . . :P

HawaiianPi

Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:14 am

It was probably just an error on the site then. Same thing happened at Adafruit once. The 1-per-order restriction seemed to have been lifted, but it was only a site error and you still could not order more than one.

Return to “General discussion”