alecapo94

Re: personal cloud

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi,

since the raspberry pi consumes little power I'd like to use it with an external hard disk as a personal cloud and I would be able to use it not only inside my wifi network but also anywhere else using or not the raspberry pi as a web server.

would it be possible?

kme

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:11 pm

Sure. What you describe is just a plain Linux home server. Millions of people have been running stuff like this the last 15 years or more.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm

alecapo94 said:

Hi,

since the raspberry pi consumes little power I'd like to use it with an external hard disk as a personal cloud and I would be able to use it not only inside my wifi network but also anywhere else using or not the raspberry pi as a web server.

would it be possible?

Yes.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

alecapo94

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:14 pm

thanks,  how should i do operatively?

misharibo

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:19 pm

How should You? just install apache if You want to send/dl files by web browser or some FTP program if You want to send by FTP

And how Raspberry Pi should handle it?

I found on some other forum info 'bout requirements for apache:

There really are none. Basically you could run it off a P-100 with 16mb of ram and a 500mb hard drive if you had a bare linux system small enough to run it off of.

--==EDITED1==--

so, maby You can't make MMO server on it but You can make small data server

kme

Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm

alecapo94 said:

thanks,  how should i do operatively?

Well, a standard way would be to get yourself a fixed IP number from your ISP (they'll probably charge you a small fee for this - ~$10/year) and next register this with a (free) DNS service so you have a nice name for your new home server.

Next you just set up the services on your new R-Pi server as you like: web, file, mail, whatever. These are all free with Linux (free as in beer and as in speech).

richcole

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:05 pm

For it to be a cloud you might want to consider having your friend carry it around for you, install software on it, keep it running, answer your calls when you have trouble access it. To be personal, your friend would do this all for your exclusive private access. He would keep spares around so in case one Pi had a capacitor explode or something he would quickly and seemlessly swap you over to another Pi device and you'd hopefully not see any downtime or interruption of service.

I'm presuming mostly you want to operate in areas that don't have access to the internet because otherwise you wouldn't need the portability of your cloud (unless the machines need to keep on the move to avoid some other threat, perhaps Syrian agents, or an overbearing mother, or a rival gang of 10 year olds).

I wonder whether you'll need wireless access to your personal cloud or whether old fashion ethernet cable plus a hub will do the trick, perhaps you can bring down the expense by having a USB hub and the devices speaking to each other over that.

Maybe I've got the picture all wrong and your cloud will be more akin to a botnet with Pi devices geographically separated but all connected to the internet. This way if one site is compromised by said threats (or perhaps just a hungry rat with a penchant for chewing on circuit boards) your systems just seamlessly route around it. All data on your device would be encrypted and you enemies would be further confounded in their analysis of your device by strategic lack of access to the BCM2835 datasheet combined perhaps with the possibility that they are rat.

Certainly the Pi is great at firing the imagination.

regards,

Richard.

Warringer

Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Please refer to Owncloud.

dave3641

Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:36 pm

You can also do this with optware, hopefully this will work on the pi already without any porting.
I"ve got a Western Digital Mybook World NAS and there"s a few hacks you can do as shown in the below link.
http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/optware
I also found an easier way using a script, one line copied and pasted off the below french site and i was up and running with their packaged install.
http://highlevelbits.free.fr/i.....38;lang=en
Hopefully guides like the first link are provided for people to understand how to set up their pi and get an understanding of linux, but also with a quick install link and photo guides like the second.

10 + 1 = 11 and so much easier to work out than captcha!

Return to “General discussion”