jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wireless firmware testers wanted

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:55 pm

Hello all,

We have had a new release of the firmware for the wireless chip on Pi3 and ZeroW(H), and would like some volunteers to test it out. Note, this is not a debug build or anything like that, this is a full release that should fix some issues we have been seeing. We would like people to simply give it a go and report back any regressions or improvements they see in this thread.

Firmware should be copied to the /lib/firmware/brcm folder, we advise making a backup of the original file first.

The firmware can be found here.

Zip
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s-70H ... kam4BDUfrP

7z
https://drive.google.com/open?id=11wv8o ... 8bxbHDGB47

As always, this is part of a test programme, please don't use on critical machines.

Thanks.

James
RPF(T)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Heater

Re: Wireless firmware testers wanted

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:58 pm

Sure thing.

Not that I have seen any WIFI problems. What should we look out for? What are the troublesome scenarios?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

leemoore1966

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi
I am an interested party who logged issues on github
Sorry if its a dumb question, can you provide a instructions for an installation procedure

Thx
Lee

jamesh

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Sure, something along these lines (i have simply typed these in here, not C&P, so may be typo's)

unzip the file to produce the brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin file

Code: Select all

unzip brcmfmac43430-sdio.zip
Backup old file

sudo cp /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin.old
Copy the new file to /lib/firmware/brcm

sudo cp brcmfmac43430-sdio.bin /lib/firmware/brcm/
Reboot

If you haven't been seeing an issue, you won't, I hope, see any difference, but if you do please let me know here. If you have been getting odd wifi lockups, mailbox errors etc, then we hope this may ameliorate the problems.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Paul Hutch

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Put it on my dev Pi3b and ran through all my normal network operations, everything worked normal.

PeterO

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pm

I had to look up amelliorate
ameliorate
əˈmiːlɪəreɪt/
verbformal
verb: ameliorate; 3rd person present: ameliorates; past tense: ameliorated; past participle: ameliorated; gerund or present participle: ameliorating

make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.
"the reform did much to ameliorate living standards"
I'm sure we would all have preferred "fix" ;-)

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:31 pm

PeterO wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:23 pm
I had to look up amelliorate
ameliorate
əˈmiːlɪəreɪt/
verbformal
verb: ameliorate; 3rd person present: ameliorates; past tense: ameliorated; past participle: ameliorated; gerund or present participle: ameliorating

make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.
"the reform did much to ameliorate living standards"
I'm sure we would all have preferred "fix" ;-)

PeterO
Raspberry Pi is an educational charity. Never miss an opportunity to learn!

piglet

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:35 pm

amelliorate != fix

amelliorate = make better for some value of "better" between "a bit" and "fixed"

jahboater

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:47 pm

Works fine for me. Basic stuff on a Pi3.

pcmanbob

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:54 pm

Now the English lesson is over for today :lol:

Not had any problem with my zero W wifi but updated file as requested ( note commands worked without error )

will leave it on for 24 hours doing a bytes send test and will report back on any problems or not as the case may be in 24 hours.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

jamesh

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:02 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
English lessons are never over! You could say they are amaranthine, sempiternal perhaps even bordering on perdurable.

PeterO

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:52 pm

jamesh wrote:
English lessons are never over! You could say they are amaranthine, sempiternal perhaps even bordering on perdurable.
Everlasting and red-purple coloured ??? :lol:
PeterO
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Paul Hutch

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
pcmanbob wrote:
Now you made me open the dictionary, thanks!

Heater

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 pm

Guys, you don't get it,

"ameliorate" is a very technical term in engineering. Especially software engineering.

It means: "make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better."

That is to say, a hack or workaround that does not actually "fix" the problem. But at least makes it less noticable to users and makes them feel better.

Anyway, I'm off to the pub to get ameliorated...

:)

Imperf3kt

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:30 pm

Does this do anything to bluetooth? Unless I'm confusing the technology, both work via 2.4GHz, correct?

Is it possible that applying this patch may potentially alleviate my broken bluetooth woes?

I ask instead of just trying it, because I'm almost ready to throw my Pi in the bin I'm that tired of wasting my time on trying to fix stuff. Before I try anything now, I want to know if its even going to do what I expect.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Heater

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:48 pm

I'm sure Bluetooth has nothing to do with this WIFI fix.

What Bluetooth troubles do you have?

In my experience Bluetooth never works. For example my Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones are not usable from any machine I have.

Imperf3kt

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 am

Heater wrote:

In my experience Bluetooth never works. For example my Sennheiser Bluetooth headphones are not usable from any machine I have.
Which is why I was curious what this actually patches. The wifi and bluetooth are both controlled by the same chip, I believe. They both work on 2.4GHz and I've seen a lot of people have trouble with either wifi, or bluetooth but not both. This leads me to believe its possible (however unlikely) that the two technologies are interfereing with each other.

I'll give this a try I guess. Only way to find out.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:51 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:01 am
Heater wrote:

Which is why I was curious what this actually patches. The wifi and bluetooth are both controlled by the same chip, I believe. They both work on 2.4GHz and I've seen a lot of people have trouble with either wifi, or bluetooth but not both. This leads me to believe its possible (however unlikely) that the two technologies are interfereing with each other.

I'll give this a try I guess. Only way to find out.
Try it and test is the best option.

To give some enlightenment to what this firmware does.

AIUI, Cypress used to have a separate branch for our firmware release, I do not know why, perhaps down to the moving of the wireless IP from Broadcom to Cypress. This firmware is taken from their main branch, and therefor has all their latest bugfixes, which haven't made it to the Pi branch. In testing so far this has helped with wireless stability issues - the infamous mailbox problem for one. In addition, changes made on the Pi branch should have been moved to their main branch. So, not a hack fix, but a proper new bug fix release.

There are still outstanding issues, but now we are on the main branch, these should be easier to track, fix and maintain.

BT/Wireless Coexistence: The BRCM43430 chip actually contains two different chips internally, but using the same aerial, since they use the same frequencies. They are actually on different interfaces to the BCM2537, Wireless on SDIO, BT on UART. The aerial sharing does actually cause some issues (not my field, and not just on this chip apparently ) and there have been recent changes in the BlueZ software to help with this. It's always worth ensuring you have the latest firmware and drivers for this stuff - it does change.

PhilE

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install bluez-firmware
will get you the latest BT firmware, which may be a slight improvement over what you have.

PeterO

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:19 am

Heater wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:20 pm
Guys, you don't get it,
We already looked up what it means !
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=203508#p1263733

Heater

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:25 am

I know. Looks like you did not understand it :)

allfox

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 am

Switched to new firmware on a Pi 3 working as WiFi AP.

Half a year ago, AP would freeze up after a small continuous transfer. Now it won't.

So I feel finally the on-board WiFi is able to do AP.

I fell it's dropping packets under heavy work load. Example browsing web would became jittery when copying file. And PulseAudio LAN service publishing's multicast not getting through.

It does make a improvement, thanks!

jamesh

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:25 am

allfox wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:28 am
Switched to new firmware on a Pi 3 working as WiFi AP.

Half a year ago, AP would freeze up after a small continuous transfer. Now it won't.

So I feel finally the on-board WiFi is able to do AP.

I fell it's dropping packets under heavy work load. Example browsing web would became jittery when copying file. And PulseAudio LAN service publishing's multicast not getting through.

It does make a improvement, thanks!
Did the Pulse audio issue also happen with the previous firmware version? Also, dropping packets does not necessarily result in lower throughput, so would be interesting to see figures.

I would expect some slow down on other apps when doing large file copies, simply because the CPU's are doing a lot more work. Also, the ethernet uses the same bus as the copying (I presume you are copying to/from the device) so there may be some bandwidth contention there.

Basically, I'd be interested in seeing if there are performance *decreases* due to this new firmware as I am not expecting any.

bensimmo

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:34 am

regards BT and WiFi at the sametime.
Many of my older tablets (incl expensive ones) have often recommended to turn BT off if it causes WiFi problems, often performance problems) and vice versa.
Same with some PC laptop setup (Intel chips iirc).

My latest phones and tablets don't seem to mention it, that or I now skim over that part of the info ;-).

Mortimer

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:48 am

I use a RPi3 as a VNC client for an ESXi box. It didn't work reliable over wifi, so I through I would try this out.

I am now getting "Turn Off Wifi - No APs found - scanning..." constantly in the menu bar.

Reverted to the original firmware and that is doing the same. So I might have a different issue.
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Return to “General discussion”