rickseiden

Authorized Seller???

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:39 pm

I found a RPi for sale, here. Are they authorized to be selling them?????
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

bwoodbury

Re: Authorized Seller???

Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:54 pm

MCM's parent company is Premier/Farnell who are one of the two main distributors.

www.mcmelectronics.com/content/en-US/about

Doesn't really matter though as any company or person that can get boards can resell them.

rickseiden

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:03 pm

But if the reseller isn't authorized, as this one obviously is (a little more checking on my part would have solved that--sorry), it's possible they are fakes, or that you won't get warranty support, or a whole host of other issues. If an individual sells their own, that's on thing, but if a company buys a ton, and then starts to resell them, that might not be good for the foundation. Right?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:18 pm

But there is absolutely no law against it. The main issue for people who want to buy large batches and sell on is that's it difficult to make any real money out of them, so reputable companies are more likely to take a go at it than dodgy individuals.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

itimpi

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:27 pm

There are already at least half a dozen companies who are buying Pi's from one of the main distributors and selling them on. I do not think there is any concept of an 'authorised' dealer - anyone can buy them from the manufacturer and make a business of selling them without needing special authorisation to do so. In this sense the Pi is no different to any other product you might buy.

Return to “General discussion”