nrdb

Re: SD Card image repository

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:55 am

I would like to see a part of this site where people can download/upload SD card images.

So that you can get multiple images.  Say you want a special OS or with specific applications.  (e.g. Debian Squeeze with Blender installed)

A few things would be needed.

A description
What size of SD card is needed (i.e. 2GB or 4GB etc)
Some sort of ranking Like/Dislike sort of thing
Comments

I think that this would be very handy for getting new people a good starting point.  In getting an image that is closer to what they want to do with a Raspberry Pi.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:05 am

We'll be doing that here. At the moment we're still wrangling with the legals (setting up something like Raspberry Pi has more moving parts than you''d believe), but when that's done we plan on having a repository here, if we can get someone to donate the bandwidth, or else directing people to torrents from a page here.

Edit: I tried to use HTML tags because I am very tired. Hateful forum code.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Warringer

Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:50 pm

I for one would be satisfied with a barebones Debian image with OpenSSH installed.

The rest can be done by hand.

Cameron

Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:01 pm

liz said:

We"ll be doing that here. At the moment we"re still wrangling with the legals (setting up something like Raspberry Pi has more moving parts than you'"d believe), but when that"s done we plan on having a repository here, if we can get someone to donate the bandwidth, or else directing people to torrents from a page here.

Edit: I tried to use HTML tags because I am very tired. Hateful forum code.

I think this would be a great idea, I've also sent you a PM

Return to “General discussion”