SERGEI_SHABLOVSKY

best platform for: read TCP/IP -> recalculate data -> out to USB

Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:55 am

Hi folks here !

Please suggest us a so-called "small-computer-platform" or may be "computer-on-a-chip" platform for device we design:

Device usecase:
- read TCP/IP packets from ethernet (max flow would be not more than 50Mb/s)
- aggregate and calculate data
- give result out to USB port
- read some data from external sensors to correct power usage and give environment monitoring report to remote server

What benefits of Raspberry Pi platform in comparing with solid-run.com, adiengineering.com, negate.com or xilinx.com solutions ?

Price and time to educate developer no matter.

Thank You all!

broe23

Re: best platform for: read TCP/IP -> recalculate data -> out to USB

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:31 am

Plenty of free programs out there, which means you would have to be a Man in the Middle and doing a packet sniffing. Just easier to have two machines set up, to pass a file large enough that whatever program you are using to send and receive, will be able to tell you both ways.

Now if you are talking about being a Man in the Middle, Airsnort, Wireshark, you are talking about stuff that does not get discussed here, even for educational purposes.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

ghans

Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:52 am

We need more details ! Do you want to sniff packets ? Do you want an USB host or an
USB device ? What do you want to transmit and on which layer of the OSI model ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Heater

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:51 am

The Xilinx solution, obviously.

It's amazing how fast you can do deep packet inspection with a big modern FPGA. USB and sensors should be easy.

It's a bit of a pain having to learn Verilog or VHDL so I like to use SpinalHDL instead.

allfox

Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:52 am

I don't quite get the goal. Just saying some thoughts.

Pi is not that good for anything about network. Because it's using a bus architecture, all ports can not faster than the bus throughputs. While modern ethernet switch is able to do "liner speed forward", aka all Gigabit ports able to do 1000M at the same time. I don't know how they did it, they have a hardware specifically for forwarding packet, no CPU calculating.

A classic router with only two ports in FastEthernet, 100M , is the limitation for Pi. Or you get a degraded port.

And Pi is using a kernel that pushing all IRQ to a single core. So those quad core Pi won't help the IO processing. There is a patch in official 64 bit kernel which still not available to normal user like me.

Well, even a two ports single core router is interesting anyway.

Return to “General discussion”