deepi001

How to use Raspberry as Hi fi sound card in desktop pc

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:03 am

Hi to all,

Iam new to this forum,Is there any chance to use raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc by using gpio to usb converter or adapter(windows pc,4gb ram,1tb hdd,intel core i3 processor).Please need all of your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

scotty101

Re: How to use Raspberry as Hi fi sound card in desktop pc

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:24 pm

deepi001 wrote:
Hi to all,

Iam new to this forum,Is there any chance to use raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc by using gpio to usb converter or adapter(windows pc,4gb ram,1tb hdd,intel core i3 processor).Please need all of your suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Not worth your hassle. The Pi's audio capabilities aren't great and for high quality sound the Pi is often used in conjunction with a third party add on.
A USB sound card would be the cheapest/easiest option for adding sound to an existing PC.
Is there any reason why the built in sound on the PC isn't good enough? Most modern motherboards have at least basic sound capabilities.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

allfox

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes, it is possible, and I'm using it.

The idea is to run a network capable sound server on the Pi, then send audio data to it via network.
Here is the description: https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... r/Network/

I see OP is with Windows, so you don't have a PulseAudio client. However it looks there is still a way to make it work: https://planet.jboss.org/post/streaming ... dio_server

As for the sound quality, I'm using an IQAudio sound card, the sound coming from it is good, but there always be a background white noise, like those when tune the mic-phone too laud. I'm using a pair of earphone, so maybe the amplifier is over-driving the ear set. Someone report ink black background when using speaker.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 pm

deepi001 wrote:
Hi to all,

Thanks in advance.

Can you provide a link to the GPIO-USB Adaptor ??.

Though what this had to do with a Raspberry Pi is unclear.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:53 pm

You will need a raspberry PI that can act as an USB slave if you want to connect it to a PC as a peripheral, the only one that can is a raspberry PI zero.
You will also need specific software to emulate an USB sound device, I don't think that exists.
So, not worth it, it's much cheaper to just buy an USB sound device.

But yes, using Ethernet is another possibility.

hippy

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 pm

mahjongg wrote:
You will also need specific software to emulate an USB sound device, I don't think that exists.
The Pi appears to have OTG g_audio support included.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:40 pm

mahjongg wrote:
You will need a raspberry PI that can act as an USB slave if you want to connect it to a PC as a peripheral, the only one that can is a raspberry PI zero.
So, not worth it, it's much cheaper to just buy an USB sound device.

But yes, using Ethernet is another possibility.
Ummm... IIRC, the A+ can have it's USB port set to be a slave device. Unlike the Pi0/Pi0W it can't switch between master and slave without manual configuration changes, though.

Belated edit to add... This is a minor argument in favor of getting the P3A released. It would be a PI with a (relatively) fast processor that could run as a USB slave device. Mind you, I'm not sure that there are many use cases for doing so, but I'm sure there are some. One could even imagine using 4 Pi3A boards slaved to a Pi3B. (Not sure why anyone would want to, but someone is sure to come up with a reason to do so...if the boards were available.)

Imperf3kt

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm

It looks to me like the OP wants his audio hat to work on a conputer, not use it with a Pi at the same time. In which case, this isn't the best forum to ask at.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

fruitoftheloom

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:13 pm
It looks to me like the OP wants his audio hat to work on a conputer, not use it with a Pi at the same time. In which case, this isn't the best forum to ask at.

+1 I have asked the question and also reported this thread twice, but no one is answering the question:

raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc by using gpio to usb converter or adapter
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 pm

"The PI as HiFi soundcard" I translate that as the the PI having HDMI sound output, so can a PI be used as an USB sound-card? Perhaps a bit insulting question for PI aficionados, but a valid one.

AFAIK there is no "raspberry PI USB soundcard", and if there were one it could also be used with a PC, as its just a standard USB endpoint device (doesn't need special drivers). so no its this thread is NOT off topic, please stop claiming it is. Note the OP asked if the PI itself was useable, not if a PI hat was useable.

only the OP knows exactly what he was asking, but by now I doubt he will return.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:08 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:57 pm
"The PI as HiFi soundcard" I translate that as the the PI having HDMI sound output, so can a PI be used as an USB sound-card? Perhaps a bit insulting question for PI aficionados, but a valid one.

AFAIK there is no "raspberry PI USB soundcard", and if there were one it could also be used with a PC, as its just a standard USB endpoint device (doesn't need special drivers). so no its this thread is NOT off topic, please stop claiming it is.

only the OP knows exactly what he was asking, but by now I doubt he will return.

This is what the OP wrote:

"raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc by using gpio to usb converter or adapter"

Therefore it is clear he wants to use something like a HiFiBerry in his x86 Windows PC.....
adieu

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 am

Not how I see it, he clearly thought the RPI contained a "sound card". It is logical for a person that only knows PC's to think that. most unlikely that he has ever heard about the HiFiBerry, and unless he tells us he did its speculation to assume he did.

In any case I will not delete this topic because it is "off topic" on such strenuous grounds.

hippy

Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:45 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:32 pm
+1 I have asked the question and also reported this thread twice, but no one is answering the question:

raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc by using gpio to usb converter or adapter
The Pi as a USB OTG device would be that "adapter" so I don't see the question as having not been answered.

And I can't see any reason for reporting the thread or any replies.

True the question is ambiguous; "How to use Raspberry as Hif Fi Sound card in desktop pc" in title, "use raspberry hi fi sound card in normal desktop pc" in opening post. Just roll with it is my recommendation.

Return to “General discussion”