Joe09876

Re: REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:18 am

Hi guys, after whole evening trying I come here to report the same issue as jcyr

I am running freshly bought RPi 3B+, mSATA X850 v3.0 extension board (HAT size coming underneath Pi board) and a 500 GB Samsung drive.
There is no way to establish WiFi connection as long as the board is connected to the Pi. LibreELEC/Kodi reports "Network error. Connection aborted". Adding extra micro USB power source to the extension board does not help, switching to a wired mouse as suggested somewhere either.

Have any of you resolved the issue or come up with any ideas? Is the Pi faulty by design (by sharing too many interfaces on the same underpowered bus)? When yes, well I just spend 150$ getting nowhere.

Joe09876

Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:30 am

Day 2. I brought Raspbian desktop just to make sure. I have detached SATA board from the Pi and connected using regular USB cable. WiFi connected instantly. Same as plugging the board on/off day before. Then I switched to libreELEC/Kodi and it also worked as long as the boards were not too close to each other. It means there is a critical EMF interference between those two when assembled. Some information on similar topic is already there:
https://www.tablix.org/~avian/blog/arch ... erference/
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/is ... -260408430

But I have checked with every other 2,4G WiFi channel on my router to no avail. I wonder if switching to 5G could help? Can't check now because it would mean upgrading some of my gear.

I need to ask if someone have the same hardware and could confirm this?

HawaiianPi

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 am

When I had my X850 v1.2 it didn't cause any wireless problems I could detect. My 3B connected to the router in another room same as it always did. If there was any interference, it was negligible. I also got to try a version 1.3, which I only had for a short while, but I didn't notice any wireless trouble with that either. Both were tested on a 3B (not 3B+).

I no longer use the X850 because it's just too specialized and too expensive for what it does. It's really just an over-priced USB-SATA adapter that doesn't fit in most Pi cases. So now I use USB-SATA adapter cables or external enclosures that cost less than $10 (one was only $6.99).

The X850 is one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but after living with it for awhile and dealing with the unforeseen issues the "cool" factor faded.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gadjet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi,
I have an x850 V3.0 and I have used etcher to flash the latest image to is from my PC and the USB lead.

I made the mod to the OTP and checked the returned code was correct.

My Pi will not boot from the M-Sata device so I tried the second method, boot from SD then transfer to the OS on the M-Sata and that partially works, I altered config.txt with the partuuid of the M-Sata and then it says to change the partuuid in the fstab file in the SSD but when I went to it it was already set to the SSD partuuid.

Anyway it boots in to a clean install of raspian on the SSD but no USB devices seem to work, mouse or keyboard so I can't get any further.....

Any suggestions?

** update **
I managed to ssh into my pi by adding the ssh file in the boot partition via my PC and then I started VNC, expanded the partition on the SSD and then did an update /upgrade and now it won't boot at all it just has a flashing green led and shows four raspberries when I plug a hdmi monitor in??

Sosoffb

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi,

For wifi i i had exactly the same probleme with the same material.
But i resolve it just with changing ssid name "without special characters" .
It was with 256g ssd disk.

When i install 1gb ssd disc. First boot was ok. But after upgrade and rpi-update and reboot. Nothing.

I look like insufficient power. I have 5v 3A . In documentation they speak about the micro USB on the x850 bord. For additional power if you use large capacity disc. But I don't know how many Ampers should I put on.

gadjet

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 pm

I found another m-sata drive (32GB) and tried that and this time it works fine as a direct boot. I used etcher to burn the Pi image straight to the bare un-formatted m-sata drive, don't know if this was why it worked this time??

Joe09876

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 am

@gadjet:
it is correct as the image is a low-level binary data which has partition table and file system formatting in it.

gadjet

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am

Joe09876 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 am
@gadjet:
it is correct as the image is a low-level binary data which has partition table and file system formatting in it.
I believe so, after I used Etcher to flash the image, the partitions were created and after booting the PI I went to use gparted but the partition was already fully expanded using all the disk.

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 pm

I got the Geekworm x850 mSATA interface board and a 128 Gb mSATA SSD. I found that the USB bridge is labelled x800 v1.3. While reading in the forums, I came across a post that said the 800 bridge was bad and needed to be replaced with a newer version. Now I can't find the post. Any suggestions?

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Found it again ( the post) and bridge problem should have been corrected.

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Is the Canakit 5V 2.5A power supply adequate to power the X850 with a 128 Gb SSD?

HawaiianPi

Re: (Old and now obsolete) REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 am

retrkdr wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Is the Canakit 5V 2.5A power supply adequate to power the X850 with a 128 Gb SSD?
Depends on the SSD. For most it should be okay, but I've seen some SSD models with shockingly high power requirements. I have no idea why most are rated at less than 500mA and some are rated for 1A, which is higher than many mechanical hard drives! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also don't understand why people are still wasting money on the x850, which is just an overpriced USB SATA adapter that doesn't even work well. My TNP USB3-SATA3 (6 inch) adapter cable was only $8.27 and fits less expensive 2.5 inch SATA SSD models. On my Pi 3B with the official PSU it boots and reboots fine with a wide variety of drives (both SSD and HDD), and it doesn't affect wireless.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

kiwipaul

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:08 am

I have spent a wet weekend mucking about with my X850 and a 256 gb msata drive.

Mine is the 3.0 version and I suspect others have been plagued with problems by buying the earlier versions.
I am using the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ that is set up to boot from USB.
To install Raspbian I used a usb A to usb A cable and plugged that into the X850 and a Windows laptop.
It recognised the drive immediately and then I loaded Raspbian using Etcher.
After that I installed the X850 and powered up the Pi and the X850.
By this I mean i used two separate USB leads as the version 3.0 of this shield has a separate power input for the msata card.
The Pi happily set itself up.

The Pi seems stable and reboots etc without problems. Wifi is fine.

It is a fast drive, about 10 x faster than my USB drive for instance, e.g.
Last login: Mon Apr 8 22:30:57 2019
pi@hassio:~ $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test.img bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.962152 s, 109 MB/s
The attraction for me is that it is tidy and fast. As i had a spare msata card it suits me fine.

Now running HASSIO and happy.

Thinkcat

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I wonder if there is anything or something special in these Geekworm addons and cases.

I have a small Icy Box enclosure for my plain 3B. I have bought two small push buttons and drilled holes for them onto the face with the SD card slot. One is a reset button. Another is a start / shutdown button (with a script). I use the SD card as a boot partition and an SDD in an external USB enclosure as the root disk.

Only thing I am not satisfied with is that the reset button feels too easy to press accidentally. I am not sure if it was strictly necessary.

I wonder if there is anything that the Geekworm enclosures do that is not easily doable in any other way. What is their "safe shutdown"?

I am planning to buy the X820 V3.0 and the enclosure, with X735 on top. If it worked perfectly, would I gain something compared to my current setup? I have two 3B boards, and the other one only has a two dollar plastic enclosure without any bells or whistles.

Return to “General discussion”