HawaiianPi

Re: REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:00 am

When I had my X850 v1.2 it didn't cause any wireless problems I could detect. My 3B connected to the router in another room same as it always did. If there was any interference, it was negligible. I also got to try a version 1.3, which I only had for a short while, but I didn't notice any wireless trouble with that either. Both were tested on a 3B (not 3B+).

I no longer use the X850 because it's just too specialized and too expensive for what it does. It's really just an over-priced USB-SATA adapter that doesn't fit in most Pi cases. So now I use USB-SATA adapter cables or external enclosures that cost less than $10 (one was only $6.99).

The X850 is one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time, but after living with it for awhile and dealing with the unforeseen issues the "cool" factor faded.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

gadjet

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi,
I have an x850 V3.0 and I have used etcher to flash the latest image to is from my PC and the USB lead.

I made the mod to the OTP and checked the returned code was correct.

My Pi will not boot from the M-Sata device so I tried the second method, boot from SD then transfer to the OS on the M-Sata and that partially works, I altered config.txt with the partuuid of the M-Sata and then it says to change the partuuid in the fstab file in the SSD but when I went to it it was already set to the SSD partuuid.

Anyway it boots in to a clean install of raspian on the SSD but no USB devices seem to work, mouse or keyboard so I can't get any further.....

Any suggestions?

** update **
I managed to ssh into my pi by adding the ssh file in the boot partition via my PC and then I started VNC, expanded the partition on the SSD and then did an update /upgrade and now it won't boot at all it just has a flashing green led and shows four raspberries when I plug a hdmi monitor in??

Sosoffb

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi,

For wifi i i had exactly the same probleme with the same material.
But i resolve it just with changing ssid name "without special characters" .
It was with 256g ssd disk.

When i install 1gb ssd disc. First boot was ok. But after upgrade and rpi-update and reboot. Nothing.

I look like insufficient power. I have 5v 3A . In documentation they speak about the micro USB on the x850 bord. For additional power if you use large capacity disc. But I don't know how many Ampers should I put on.

gadjet

Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:24 pm

I found another m-sata drive (32GB) and tried that and this time it works fine as a direct boot. I used etcher to burn the Pi image straight to the bare un-formatted m-sata drive, don't know if this was why it worked this time??

Joe09876

Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 am

@gadjet:
it is correct as the image is a low-level binary data which has partition table and file system formatting in it.

gadjet

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 am

Joe09876 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 am
@gadjet:
it is correct as the image is a low-level binary data which has partition table and file system formatting in it.
I believe so, after I used Etcher to flash the image, the partitions were created and after booting the PI I went to use gparted but the partition was already fully expanded using all the disk.

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:14 pm

I got the Geekworm x850 mSATA interface board and a 128 Gb mSATA SSD. I found that the USB bridge is labelled x800 v1.3. While reading in the forums, I came across a post that said the 800 bridge was bad and needed to be replaced with a newer version. Now I can't find the post. Any suggestions?

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Found it again ( the post) and bridge problem should have been corrected.

retrkdr

Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Is the Canakit 5V 2.5A power supply adequate to power the X850 with a 128 Gb SSD?

HawaiianPi

Re: (Old and now obsolete) REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:16 am

retrkdr wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Is the Canakit 5V 2.5A power supply adequate to power the X850 with a 128 Gb SSD?
Depends on the SSD. For most it should be okay, but I've seen some SSD models with shockingly high power requirements. I have no idea why most are rated at less than 500mA and some are rated for 1A, which is higher than many mechanical hard drives! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I also don't understand why people are still wasting money on the x850, which is just an overpriced USB SATA adapter that doesn't even work well. My TNP USB3-SATA3 (6 inch) adapter cable was only $8.27 and fits less expensive 2.5 inch SATA SSD models. On my Pi 3B with the official PSU it boots and reboots fine with a wide variety of drives (both SSD and HDD), and it doesn't affect wireless.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

kiwipaul

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:08 am

I have spent a wet weekend mucking about with my X850 and a 256 gb msata drive.

Mine is the 3.0 version and I suspect others have been plagued with problems by buying the earlier versions.
I am using the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ that is set up to boot from USB.
To install Raspbian I used a usb A to usb A cable and plugged that into the X850 and a Windows laptop.
It recognised the drive immediately and then I loaded Raspbian using Etcher.
After that I installed the X850 and powered up the Pi and the X850.
By this I mean i used two separate USB leads as the version 3.0 of this shield has a separate power input for the msata card.
The Pi happily set itself up.

The Pi seems stable and reboots etc without problems. Wifi is fine.

It is a fast drive, about 10 x faster than my USB drive for instance, e.g.
Last login: Mon Apr 8 22:30:57 2019
pi@hassio:~ $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test.img bs=1M count=100
100+0 records in
100+0 records out
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.962152 s, 109 MB/s
The attraction for me is that it is tidy and fast. As i had a spare msata card it suits me fine.

Now running HASSIO and happy.

Thinkcat

Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:45 pm

I wonder if there is anything or something special in these Geekworm addons and cases.

I have a small Icy Box enclosure for my plain 3B. I have bought two small push buttons and drilled holes for them onto the face with the SD card slot. One is a reset button. Another is a start / shutdown button (with a script). I use the SD card as a boot partition and an SDD in an external USB enclosure as the root disk.

Only thing I am not satisfied with is that the reset button feels too easy to press accidentally. I am not sure if it was strictly necessary.

I wonder if there is anything that the Geekworm enclosures do that is not easily doable in any other way. What is their "safe shutdown"?

I am planning to buy the X820 V3.0 and the enclosure, with X735 on top. If it worked perfectly, would I gain something compared to my current setup? I have two 3B boards, and the other one only has a two dollar plastic enclosure without any bells or whistles.

Return to “General discussion”