lb

Re: Android for Pi

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:46 pm

Actually there is not much divergence between Android's Linux kernel and the vanilla Linux kernel. The subsystems used by Android have been merged. The latest vanilla kernel version can run Android userspace.

ArborealSeer

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Junsei said:

Why are you focusing so much on android?

As someone who isn't bothered about Andriod either way I can see why people want to know.

1) It means some existing Andriod apps would run, bringing new functionality to the RPi.

2) part of the functionality Android has a touch interface, people keep asking about a tablet RPi.

3) because they can. even though as JamesH as pointed out, it won't be accelerated and it won't run well. BUT, someone will get it running, however badly just for kicks.
Pi Status > Farnell, Arrived 24/5- RS, Arrived 1/6

fzombie

Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:05 am

Might I point out a few facts:

1. Everyone wants Android Everywhere, people even bought Ipods and put android on them.

2. Android doesn't run on every hardware smoothly but "will run" and a lot of platforms.

3. You can get a CRAZY CHEAP android platform with a 4.3" touchscreen and hdmi port for less than 100$ by getting a used phone and stripping the rom as well as deactivating the cdma/gsm stuff. Extra bonus 8 hour backup battery when it loses power from the charger.

If you want android on the R.Pi do it! Nobody will stop you. From the beginning the developers have been wondering "how much can be done with the R.Pi?" Knowing it will be used for all sorts of stuff.

Maybe you should focus on projects that attempt to port android apps to other platforms instead of just running android straight out. I'm no pro here but I've seen market on set top boxes, windows desktops, and non android arm devices. I wonder if the R.Pi shares the same arm libraries as android? Who knows I have not looked into ARM in a very long time.

Just don't get upset, have fun. Relax. Life is so much better when you can enjoy every moment regardless of bumps in the road.

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:31 am

I guess some people would enjoy being able to just click onto the app store (I have seen some android ports, notably the x86 project, are compatible with normal USB mice) and just have plenty of app choices just working with no knowledge required but thats just not the point of the pi. I'd like to see someone do it but I wouldn't ever use it.

LightyKD

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:47 pm

I would love to see Android OS on the Pi. I have two Android devices and one of them happens to be a ARMv6 device running Gingerbread (Android 2.3). The only big issue with running android on ARMv6 devices is storage space because most ARMv6 phones I have delt with have very limiting storage space for apps not to mention app cache is also shared by that same space sometimes making the device almost worthless. As long as someone makes the Android distro in a way that properly uses an SD card's or USB stick's full space. We're good.

Nr90

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:47 pm

I would love to see Android OS on the Pi. I have two Android devices and one of them happens to be a ARMv6 device running Gingerbread (Android 2.3). The only big issue with running android on ARMv6 devices is storage space because most ARMv6 phones I have delt with have very limiting storage space for apps not to mention app cache is also shared by that same space sometimes making the device almost worthless. As long as someone makes the Android distro in a way that properly uses an SD card"s or USB stick"s full space. We"re good.

OT: rooted android phones can use an ext partition on the sd card as data and cache location.

moocow1452

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Quick thing, someone has ported ICS to the HTC Hero, so it can be done. If Android can run on the G1, how come it can't run on the Pi?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:45 pm

It probably can. In fact I'm pretty sure it can. Probably not ICS, but earlier versions should work OK.

It's just no-one has ever tried to port it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bluesatyr

Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:48 pm

fwiw you CAN (and I do) script on android in languages other than Java using Scripting Layer for Android (SL4A). And you don't need to be on a separate machine to do it. I made a little Perl script the other day on the train 'typing' away with my thumbs

Here's the google code site: http://code.google.com/p/android-scripting/

It currently supports Python, Perl, JRuby, Lua, BeanShell, JavaScript, Tcl, and shell. In conjunction with Tasker, which can trigger scripts based on a wide variety of triggers, it is really great.

I think to discount Android for the Pi because you can't program on it makes no sense. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say you have other more important priorities... like getting them out the door.

DeadManOnWheels

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:19 am

I think that android on raspberry pi could serve an educational purpuse. Many schools (that don't teach programming) use tablets for things such as writing papers an viewing class materials. The problem is that they cost a lot and many schools can't afford them at $500 - $600 dollars. If a there was a raspberry pi made with 500MB of RAM (for more stability with android), 802.11g wireless, and a low cost 7" touch screen (not like it needs to be a super AMOLED or RETINA display just good enough for 480p video would work) all together in a small housing (witch don't need to be fancy ether) it would help a lot of the less fortunate schools everywhere.

DeadManOnWheels

Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 am

Junsei said:

Why are you focusing so much on android? It"s a very limited OS in comparisson with Linux. It"s easyer to understand? The ui is simpler, yes. But it is far from better than Linux.

If you want something with a simpler ui, you have, for exemple, Ubuntu with the unity. I prefer this far more than android.

But i know that ubuntu its heavy for the hardware available, but it whould be nice to have a unity like ui, that would run smoothly with the rasp distros.

And here"s a crazy thought: how about webos, when it becomes opensource?

Take a look a the amount of power webos takes (at least above 1.4.5 witch cant do much) there is no way for it to run on a raspberry pi.

Return to “General discussion”