Kratos

Re: Raspbian Stretch (9.1) has arrived !!

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:29 pm

PythonTech wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 am
I'm having the same issue. I can't even get a youtube page to load. Also having tons of problems with animations. Trying to load a gif on reddit crashes it instantly.

Version 60.0.3112.89 (Developer Build) Built on Ubuntu 14.04, running on Raspbian 9.1 (32-bit)

Courious as to why they would use a dev build when updates to chromium are so few and far in between. There was a recent version 60 stable build put out about 2 weeks ago.

If there is any testing that I can do to help, let me know. This makes the browser unusable.
Yeah, same. Reddit is not really usable. YouTube is hit and miss. I even had some issues with loading pictures. When you say it "crashes it instantly" I assume you mean it loads the "Aw, Snap" page, correct?

I can't think of anything to test, as I am not very deep into the knowledge of the inner Chromium workings.
A downgrade to stable might fix it, but it might throw some other non-browser issues.

Can anyone shed some insight onto this problem?
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

runboy93

Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Chromium .97 and .107 revisions are currently newest stable updates, maybe for next Raspbian update (and not waiting half year +)?

Yavor Atanasov

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:21 pm

Why you guys put the unstable version of chromium to the repos? this version is literally unusable - it crashes every 20-30 seconds... How can I downgrade to previous version which worked great?

spl23
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 pm

With regards the crashes people are seeing in Chromium - I tested pretty extensively before release, including running Flash sites and a lot of YouTube videos, and I did not see a single crash, so this version of Chromium did not seem fundamentally unstable in our testing.

Is anyone seeing crashes on a clean Stretch image, or are they all happening on an upgraded Jessie image? It is possible some setting from the previous version is persisting and causing the problem - as a suggestion, if you are having problems, go into ~/.config and delete the chromium directory. (Make a copy somewhere if you have bookmarks etc that you don't want to lose.) When you restart Chromium, it will then create a default configuration - see if that is any more stable for you.

It might also be worth removing and reinstalling the two packages which include the browser and its customisations - chromium-browser and rpi-chromium-mods, just in case something has got corrupted or out of sync somewhere. (You may need to reinstall scratch2 if you remove rpi-chromium-mods.)

I have been able to repeat the crash mentioned above on animated GIFs in Reddit - we're going to investigate and see if this is an upstream Chromium issue or something we've caused, and we'll try to get a fix out soon. If people could post a couple of examples of YouTube videos here which cause the problem, I can try them on a clean image and see if this is a preferences issue or a more serious problem.

Bear in mind that Chromium has never run very well on Pi 0 or Pi 1, and this new release will probably not change that - it should however run acceptably on Pi 2 and Pi 3.

PythonTech

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:40 pm

spl23 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:51 pm
With regards the crashes people are seeing in Chromium - I tested pretty extensively before release, including running Flash sites and a lot of YouTube videos, and I did not see a single crash, so this version of Chromium did not seem fundamentally unstable in our testing.

Is anyone seeing crashes on a clean Stretch image, or are they all happening on an upgraded Jessie image? It is possible some setting from the previous version is persisting and causing the problem - as a suggestion, if you are having problems, go into ~/.config and delete the chromium directory. (Make a copy somewhere if you have bookmarks etc that you don't want to lose.) When you restart Chromium, it will then create a default configuration - see if that is any more stable for you.

It might also be worth removing and reinstalling the two packages which include the browser and its customisations - chromium-browser and rpi-chromium-mods, just in case something has got corrupted or out of sync somewhere. (You may need to reinstall scratch2 if you remove rpi-chromium-mods.)

I have been able to repeat the crash mentioned above on animated GIFs in Reddit - we're going to investigate and see if this is an upstream Chromium issue or something we've caused, and we'll try to get a fix out soon. If people could post a couple of examples of YouTube videos here which cause the problem, I can try them on a clean image and see if this is a preferences issue or a more serious problem.

Bear in mind that Chromium has never run very well on Pi 0 or Pi 1, and this new release will probably not change that - it should however run acceptably on Pi 2 and Pi 3.
For my case, I preformed an upgrade of a Jessie image. I'll see if I can make a brand new stretch image later today.

I tried deleting ~/.config/Chromium and it made no difference.

I also tried removing chromium-browser and rpi-chromium-mods. Upon reinstall the issue was still there.

It's not just gif's on reddit that cause the issue. I have problems in discord chat when someone posts something animated. I read a lot of technical info on the web, so I don't go to other sites much. If there is a list of site you would like me to test, I am willing to try.

I don't have an example of youtube videos that crash because I can't go to youtube's home page without getting the "Aw Snap" message.

I am running on a non-overclocked RPI3, for reference.

Edit - Someone suggested trying a stable version of chromium. I tried that with chromium_60.0.3112.78-1-deb9u1_armhf. It installed, but scrolling on any webpage was running the CPU at 100%. That lasted about 2 minutes before I uninstalled and went back to the stretch packaged chromium.

hippy

Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:50 pm

tpylkko wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:01 am
If Samba is not working on xp, maybe the min version is set up for something higher than what xp uses in the conf file? After the sambacry exploit was discovered, changes were made to prevent unsafe setup
A good suggestion but probably not the issue. The earlier security updates for Samba worked under Jessie without causing any issues. I can browse and read from the Stretch Pi using XP now so halfway there and would say Stretch Samba and XP ( Pro, SP3 ) are compatible.

spl23

Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 pm

PythonTech wrote:
[I don't have an example of youtube videos that crash because I can't go to youtube's home page without getting the "Aw Snap" message.
OK, then there's definitely something not right somewhere, as I have gone to the YouTube homepage dozens of times while testing this image, and have never had it fail to load. So there's something different about your system which is making Chromium unhappy - but at this stage, I can't say I have any idea what, if you have already tried deleting the preferences and reinstalling the packages.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with all animated GIFs, as we have them in blogs on our site, and the ones I have tried on there seem to load fine - but I did have problems with the ones on Reddit. That does at least give us a test case we can dig into and fix - maybe we'll find some smoking gun there which is also causing YouTube problems.

BTW, when you tried the stable Chromium, did you still see the GIF crashes? If not, it suggests that something in our hardware acceleration may be the root of the problem there.

PythonTech

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 pm

spl23 wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 pm
PythonTech wrote:
[I don't have an example of youtube videos that crash because I can't go to youtube's home page without getting the "Aw Snap" message.
OK, then there's definitely something not right somewhere, as I have gone to the YouTube homepage dozens of times while testing this image, and have never had it fail to load. So there's something different about your system which is making Chromium unhappy - but at this stage, I can't say I have any idea what, if you have already tried deleting the preferences and reinstalling the packages.

It doesn't seem to be a problem with all animated GIFs, as we have them in blogs on our site, and the ones I have tried on there seem to load fine - but I did have problems with the ones on Reddit. That does at least give us a test case we can dig into and fix - maybe we'll find some smoking gun there which is also causing YouTube problems.

BTW, when you tried the stable Chromium, did you still see the GIF crashes? If not, it suggests that something in our hardware acceleration may be the root of the problem there.
I flashed a fresh install of Stretch and now youtube works fine for me. I've watched 6 or so videos and didn't experience any problems. The problems with reddit and Discord are still occurring though.

I can't remember if chrome stable worked with gifs now or not. I could try again if you want me to.

Edit- Just another small thing I found, clicking Set Keyboard in Raspberry Pi Configuration does nothing. I can't change away from the GB keybaord which is default. Instead of quotes I get @ and getting £ not $!

gkaiseril

Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:20 pm

I would start trouble shooting by running "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" and then in either of the raspberry pi configuration programs, command line or graphic user interface, run the update. I would then reboot the system and try the configuration program.

This could also be an issue of running a distribution update and not a full download and build. This approach might not install the newest updates for the new OS.

I would suggest that before installing or updating and new distribution of an operating system make a backup SD of the OS so if everything goes to h*ll one can at least get back the start. I would also keep a list of various programs or modules that I have added to the OS so when I download and install a new OS I can add all the added programs and modules that I had installed previously.

Note that many big box administrators do not jump to add all new updates and upgrades but wait to see if there are any major problems. They can also see which programs still need to be updated to the upgraded or new OS. They try not to be on cutting edge of technology because there can be a lot of blood let in the process. A wait of one or two weeks will not hurt any one but one's ego for not being the first on the block to have the OS.

So far I have only found that Wbar's configuration program does not work with the new OS.

I have also had some issues with installing programs because of network time outs which could have been local or repository overloads.

We all should show some patience with the RPF during the roll out as there are a lot of system variability that could not have been tested prior to the release. Also we have to allow other developers time to catch up with the new production release.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Kratos

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 pm

YouTube is really hit and miss, sometimes it loads the "Aw, Snap!" page, sometimes it doesn't. There doesn't seem to be any one thing that causes it. Same story on Reddit, some GIF's work, some don't.

I did upgrade from Jessie. I don't have much configured, so I will try it on a vanilla Stretch image to see if I get the same results.

Just for an example, this GIF of a mountain biker chasing a marmot gives me the "Aw, Snap!" error every time:
http://i.imgur.com/8Lp9G7O.gifv

I will try the official Stretch image sometime soon, will report back.
I have posted mostly with a Pi 2 running either Ubuntu MATE, or Raspbian.

PythonTech

Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Kratos wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:18 pm
I will try the official Stretch image sometime soon, will report back.
I flashed the official Stretch image and while a lot of youtube problems went away, I finally found one that I couldn't load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZD982yrmx4

runboy93

Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:56 am

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... er&n=10000

.90 revision compared to latest .101 stable version (Desktop), Raspbian Stretch have .89 revision, basically same as .90, minor changes.

.101 has no dramatic changes, fixes mostly regressions? in M60 branch, one Google related fix, some keyboard layout fix, gpu framebuffer fix.

But it would be wise to use stable branch, rather than earlier "dev" stable branch.

Maybe problem somewhere else, like with HW acceleration?

+ also how much you have GPU memory on use?

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/is ... ?id=755893

Not quite same issue, but related to crashes because not enough memory.

Very recommended to explore with "about:flags" and command line switches!

MarkDH102

Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:26 am

I have 6 Pi's all running latest up to date Jessie.
I took the least important (B+) and tried to upgrade to Stretch. (Backed up SD card first). This Pi also has the least extras. Just OpenCV.
Big fail.
Ended up with a failed message processing triggers for shared-mime-info (--unpack). Pressed ENTER as it appeared to lock. Went straight to 100% processor and locked. Rebooted ok but then numerous failures on a retry of update.
Ok, I downloaded the new Stretch image and installed - no problems.
Tried to rebuild OpenCV 3.0.0. Followed my original list of instructions. All libraries updated ok. A fatal compilation error "math.h" missing!
I will try again today, but I am very reluctant to try and UPGRADE my remaining 5 Pi's (which all have quite a few "extras" installed). And I certainly do not want to go through the hassle of starting from scratch with every one of them...
At some point I realise I will have to upgrade, but everything is working well at the moment. If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

44nato44

Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:49 am

After installing a fresh image of Stretch

My installation is - Linux <Name> 4.9.41-V7+ #1023 SMP Tue Aug 8 16:00:15 BST 2017 arm71 GNU/Linux

I did the update and upgrade, so I should be on the latest version

Which should be 9.1 but when I do the command cat /etc/os-release , I get version 9 and it does not mention 9.1

When I open any program the power signal in the top right corner displays, like it is lacking power.

I did not have this with Jessie, does this mean that Stretch is more power hungry ?

I have a standard samsung phone power jack, must be a few years old by now

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:09 am

Looks like predictable interface names don't work properly with dhcpcd (sometimes dhcpcd grabs the interface before it gets renamed, so the rename fails). We'll disable it in the next release, so I'd recommend doing so on existing installs:

Code: Select all

sudo ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link

If placing 'ssh' and 'wpa_supplicant.conf' on /boot isn't working for you, could you please post the full output of 'sudo journalctl' and 'cat /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf' (with your password hidden).

If your desktop is complaining about being unable to write to dhcpcd.conf, did you create new users? Did you upgrade (from what state?) or install a fresh image? What are the permissions on /etc/dhcpcd.conf? What groups is your main user a part of? The file should be owned by the 'netdev' group, which 'pi' is a part of.

dliloch

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am

I see that the Broadpwn fix is there for the integrated wifi but not for the usb dongle. I have noticed that scapy ARP sniffing function no longer works on the integrated wifi but does on the dongle.
Last edited by dliloch on Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:05 am

dliloch wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:04 am
I see tat the Broadpwn fix is there for the integrated wifi but not for the usb dongle. I have noticed that scapy ARP sniffing function no longer works on the integrated wifi but does on the dongle.
Does reverting back to the old wifi firmware make it work again?

spl23

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:26 am

PythonTech wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:01 pm
Edit- Just another small thing I found, clicking Set Keyboard in Raspberry Pi Configuration does nothing. I can't change away from the GB keybaord which is default. Instead of quotes I get @ and getting £ not $!
That's already fixed - do a sudo apt-get update / sudo apt-get upgrade for the fix.

spl23

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:34 am

We've found a potential cause of the Chromium crashes; there seems to be something wrong in the ffmpeg library which is shipping in this Chromium package, so it looks as if something may have gone wrong when building it.

If anyone would like to try a fix, there are some replacement ffmpeg library files available from https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpgxfnbp2isy ... e.tgz?dl=0

If someone with the problem could try downloading the file, unpacking it, and copying the files to the relevant locations under /usr/lib, then try the sites which crashed and report back here if it helps or not, that would be very useful!

dliloch

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks for responding. Yes! March Jessie works..the newer versions fail..very easy to test.

#! /usr/bin/env python
from scapy.all import sniff
from scapy.all import ARP

def arp_monitor_callback(pkt):
    if ARP in pkt and pkt[ARP].op in (1,2): #who-has or is-at
        return pkt.sprintf("%ARP.hwsrc% %ARP.psrc%")

sniff(prn=arp_monitor_callback, filter="arp", store=0)
When broken you only see your MAC address and the router .. not any new devices joining the network.

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:52 am

dliloch wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 am
Thanks for responding. Yes! March Jessie works..the newer versions fail..very easy to test.

#! /usr/bin/env python
from scapy.all import sniff
from scapy.all import ARP

def arp_monitor_callback(pkt):
    if ARP in pkt and pkt[ARP].op in (1,2): #who-has or is-at
        return pkt.sprintf("%ARP.hwsrc% %ARP.psrc%")

sniff(prn=arp_monitor_callback, filter="arp", store=0)
When broken you only see your MAC address and the router .. not any new devices joining the network.
Sorry, I meant does reverting the firmware and keeping everything else absolutely the same fix the problem?
In my case, your snippet of code behaves exactly the same with both versions of the firmware.

EDIT: Thought I'd add that I am seeing new addresses on my install on a fully updated pi. However, my pi isn't running the officially released image and doesn't have all the software on it. It does demonstrate that the kernel and firmware seems okay though.

Actually, the output I am seeing seems to be about the ethernet interface.

dliloch

Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 am

Good question..I have not tried that..can I take the boot image from March and replace the boot image on a June distro? Or is there one particular file or files I should replace..let me know and I will run that test..thanks so much..again it is the integrated wifi on the pi0w and raspi pi 3b+

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:13 pm

dliloch wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:56 am
Good question..I have not tried that..can I take the boot image from March and replace the boot image on a June distro? Or is there one particular file or files I should replace..let me know and I will run that test..thanks so much..again it is the integrated wifi on the pi0w and raspi pi 3b+
You could start with the March image and run the following:

sudo -i
apt-get update
apt-get install -y firmware-brcm80211
systemctl reboot
That should keep you on Jessie, and just update the wifi firmware without touching anything else. If it stops working after that, that's pretty conclusive.

dliloch

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:26 pm

Great..I will do it after I get off work and post the results ..

hippy

Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:39 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Looks like predictable interface names don't work properly with dhcpcd (sometimes dhcpcd grabs the interface before it gets renamed, so the rename fails). We'll disable it in the next release, so I'd recommend doing so on existing installs:

sudo ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/network/99-default.link
I added net.ifnames=0 to cmdline.txt to revert back to using eth0 which has fixed the issues I had with apps expecting that rather than the new convention. That seemed to work.

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
If your desktop is complaining about being unable to write to dhcpcd.conf, did you create new users? Did you upgrade (from what state?) or install a fresh image? What are the permissions on /etc/dhcpcd.conf? What groups is your main user a part of? The file should be owned by the 'netdev' group, which 'pi' is a part of.
Fresh install on Pi3B. Hostname changed to "Pi3B" by editing /etc/hostname and /etc/hosts. No new users added, still using "pi". Groups for "pi" are -

pi adm dialout cdrom sudo audio video plugdev games users input netdev gpio i2c spi
The dhcp.conf has a rather odd group attribute of "82" -

pi@Pi3B:~$ ls -l /etc/dhcpcd.conf
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root 82 1630 Jul 17 14:13 /etc/dhcpcd.conf
pi@Pi3B:~$

Return to “General discussion”