quick6black

Measure Temperature at a distance

Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:24 pm

I am researching on trying to capture temperature of an object 10-15 feet away. I would need the sensor to be water proof or located in a water proof enclosure with a clear glass door. I have found a few infrared temperature sensors but wanted to see if anyone has done something similar. Thanks in advance

Heater

Re: Measure Temperature at a distance

Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:09 pm

If your object is some distance away from your sensor you are going to need an IR sensor. Be aware that at the frequencies IR temperature sensors operate at the IR will not pass through glass.

See here: http://www.moistureview.com/blog-06

I am not aware of any cheap IR sensors like that will operate out to 15 feet.

What are you trying to measure the temperature of? What temperature range is expected?

A better solution might be to put a temperature sensor on the object and transmit the temperature readings back to the Pi wirelessly.

You could use an ESP32 module or some such to create a WIFI or Bluetooth link back to the Pi. If you are taking temperature readings infrequently it could run some time from batteries.

CarlRJ

Re: Measure Temperature at a distance

Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:43 pm

Would something like this: Waterproof DS18B20 Digital temperature sensor, or this: Platinum RTD Sensor - PT100, or this: Thermocouple Type-K Glass Braid, work? They all tend to be on one meter cables, but at least some of them would be amenable to splicing on additional cable, or you could hook one up with a microcontroller and run the signal back to the Pi via USB or WiFi.

Adafruit has a bunch of choices, which may at least give you ideas for what to google elsewhere, if none of them work directly.

Return to “General discussion”