Lomax

Re: Houseboat home automation / surveillance system

Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:36 am

I've been focusing(!) mainly on the camera system the last few days, and will soon have a more detailed post about this - just wanted to quickly share what came in the post today: two tiny PIR sensors from Panasonic.
Panasonic_NaPiOn.jpg
Panasonic_NaPiOn.jpg (142.2 KiB) Viewed 707 times

I have been struggling with the larger "D-Sun" sensor in the background; no matter how I tweak the sensitivity it keeps giving false positives - I'm hoping the Panasonic NaPiOn sensors will be more reliable (they should be, if cost has anything to do with it!). Each camera will be equipped with its own sensor, and I'll be making use of the four "extra" wires provided by the HDMI cables & adapters to hook them up. Results to follow.

Lomax

Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Ok, those Panasonic PIRs are great; I haven't had a single false positive in the >24 hrs I've had one plugged in - and that's at the end of a 5m long HDMI cable, running off just the 3.3v supplied for the camera module (the datasheet does say it accepts down to 3v). That means I only needed to use one of the four spare connections from the HDMI adapter, leaving the other three for stuff like controlling IR LEDs. Another nice thing (in my case) is that the output is completely unfiltered; any activity detected triggers the pin, regardless of frequency - this allows me to do the filtering in software which I prefer. Current draw is nearly undetectable (datasheet claims 120 micro amps), another bonus for my (battery powered) application. Recommended!

olliecampbell

Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am

I thought I would give this topic a little bump. It's of real interest to me and it would be great to see what progress you've made in the last 2 years!

Lomax

Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm

olliecampbell wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am
I thought I would give this topic a little bump. It's of real interest to me and it would be great to see what progress you've made in the last 2 years!
Thanks Ollie, I've been meaning to post an update for ages but never seem to get around to it! I lived aboard for seven months in 2018, but have spent the last three away from the boat. The system has been working pretty well, and being able to check in from "outside" has been great for peace of mind. For example, I had an email notification in February that mains power had been lost and got a friend in the marina to check it out for me; someone had "borrowed" the outlet I was using without reconnecting me afterwards, which was easily resolved. Had I not known about this the dehumidifier and frost-guard would have remained offline which would have been a problem. The only real issue I've had is with the IVPort camera multiplexer; I never managed to get this to work reliably, despite trying with both the V1 and V2 variants, so I've removed it and only have the one camera at the moment. If anyone has any suggestions for connecting multiple cameras to a Pi I'd be very interested to hear about it! Here are some photos of the camera units I built:
camera enclosures.jpg
camera enclosures.jpg (165.89 KiB) Viewed 356 times
camera enclosures 2.jpg
camera enclosures 2.jpg (186.5 KiB) Viewed 356 times
camera enclosures 3.jpg
camera enclosures 3.jpg (194.36 KiB) Viewed 356 times
Happy to answer any questions you might have - and I'll try to post another update soon!

Edit: In case(!) anyone wants to know, these are the enclosures I used for the cameras. Had to remove and drill out the post used to screw them together - but happy to just tape them up for now. The HDMI adapter socket is plugged into from the top, and I made the cut-out large enough to accept any HDMI connector. It all works brilliantly, and they are tiny. Oh and the PIR sensor gets its power from the camera board (3.3V) and sends its trigger signal over one of the four GPIO lines provided by the HDMI adapters.

Return to “General discussion”