ninninon

Account deletion?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:32 pm

How do I get my account deleted?

CarlRJ

Re: Account deletion?

Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Others have asked this before, the answer has generally been: you won't get it deleted, just change the password to something you're unlikely to remember and walk away from the account (though possibly the recent upgrade of the forum software has added some way). You've only written this one post, there doesn't seem to be any real point to deleting the account. Had you not made this post, nobody would know your account existed.

Heater

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:14 pm

Ha! You are stuck here for ever ninninon.

Posting to a forum is like spraying graffiti on a bridge. You aint going to get it deleted so easily.

ninninon

Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm

Heater wrote:

Posting to a forum is like spraying graffiti on a bridge. You aint going to get it deleted so easily.
I've had 12 accounts deleted in the past few weeks from forums. Ill wait for the mods.

rpdom

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:10 pm

ninninon wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:39 pm
I've had 12 accounts deleted in the past few weeks from forums. Ill wait for the mods.
The Raspberry Pi forum or others? Accounts almost never get deleted from here. Just froze if anything. It messes up the threading.

Martin Frezman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:20 pm

I assume both of the following:

1) The implication (of the OP) is that he has been able to get mods to delete accounts for him on other systems, and expects (rightly or wrongly) that same should be possible and do-able here.

2) That he has some reason why he wants his various forum account(s) nuked. Maybe going on a long vacation from which he may or may not return...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

gkaiseril

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Do not forget to kill all the information in your profile and turnoff notifications.

I guess the result will be how much time and effort the admins want to put in to cleaning up accounts and how the forum is setup. It could be that deleting a user account will delete all posts by the user and that would make the post become confusing because of the missing posts.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

ninninon

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:39 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:

1) The implication (of the OP) is that he has been able to get mods to delete accounts for him on other systems, and expects (rightly or wrongly) that same should be possible and do-able here.

2) That he has some reason why he wants his various forum account(s) nuked. Maybe going on a long vacation from which he may or may not return...
I'm just trying to remove my name.

beta-tester

Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 pm

post illegal content here... maybe then your account will be deleted... :P :twisted:

PS.: you want to delete your account because you don't want to appear in the forum with your name?!
but you only has posted 3 comment yet. and all three posts are in this thread up to now.
so you would never have appeared here if you had not loged in or ever opened or comment to a thread...

(like: "be silent, keep silent, die silently, and nobody would notice")
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

hippy

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Heater wrote:

I would guess what will happen is whatever the Data Protection Act and related legislation requires. I am assuming this forum is governed by UK law.
Martin Frezman wrote:

Probably. On the forum I manage the entire account is removed for those asking for deletion. All data is gone; username, email addresses, handles, their complete profile etc. Their posts are assigned to an anonymous "guest" and shown as such so threading doesn't break and there's no incorrect attribution to posters joining later and re-using that username.
Martin Frezman wrote:
It always intrigued me why people ask for deletion. I concluded that, why not, if that's what they want, they don't need to justify it. It's not like there's any good reason not to comply with the request.

It also reduces the risk of legal action. If account details ever do leak, and someone who asked to be deleted is included in that leak, they might have a reasonable claim for damages, and it might also be an issue under Data Protection regulation. Removing those accounts avoids all that.

I don't know what the law says should be done because we simply follow the deletion request to the letter.

rpdom

Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:57 pm

hippy wrote:
I would guess what will happen is whatever the Data Protection Act and related legislation requires. I am assuming this forum is governed by UK law.
I don't think the DPA applies in this case. There is no personal information displayed.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:03 pm

rpdom wrote:
hippy wrote:
I don't think the DPA applies in this case. There is no personal information displayed.
And--as has already been noted--the OP can remove nearly all of the data from his profile.

Martin Frezman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 pm

And--as has already been noted--the OP can remove nearly all of the data from his profile.
Aren't people encouraged to use their full/real name (or some variation thereof) as their username? That gets publicly displayed and can't be changed.

rpdom

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Aren't people encouraged to use their full/real name (or some variation thereof) as their username?
No.

Martin Frezman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:40 pm

I would assume most do, anyway.

hippy

Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:44 pm

rpdom wrote:
I have seen various claims on what is and is not personal data, some say usernames are personal data, others say they aren't. I am no expert which is why we have legal experts to advise us and data controllers who look after the data and are responsible for doing that.

Actually removing the data makes those issues moot; when it's gone it's gone. If it's not there then there can be no debate as to whether it being there is in compliance or not.

I guess what the OP wants is their username not to appear alongside any postings, not to appear in the members list. That doesn't seem an unreasonable request to me.

Martin Frezman

Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Actually removing the data makes those issues moot; when it's gone it's gone. If it's not there then there can be no debate as to whether it being there is in compliance or not.
I agree - and I think you're doing the right thing on your boards.

But, what about backups? We all know that all good computer administrators do regular backups, but when it comes time to be able to certify that a piece of data is (really and truly) gone, what do you do? Backups tend to be mass; it is not easy (in fact, is usually impossible) to delete just one piece of data out of a backup.

hippy

Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:15 pm
But, what about backups?
I recall the DPA doesn't use the terms "deletion" or "removal" but "putting data beyond use", or something like that. I guess that's to take account of such issues and similar.

It's more how data is used rather than what is held. That is 'deleted to all intents and purposes', even if the data is still held on backups or live where there is good reason to do that.

If a member deleting their account from a forum removed their name from posts and lists it would probably be enough and okay for the forum system to retain some information of that account if that can be justified as necessary.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:03 am

Martin Frezman wrote:
Aren't people encouraged to use their full/real name (or some variation thereof) as their username? That gets publicly displayed and can't be changed.
If they are, a great many people who set up accounts don't follow that encouragement.

rpdom

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:38 am

hippy wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:04 pm
I recall the DPA doesn't use the terms "deletion" or "removal" but "putting data beyond use", or something like that. I guess that's to take account of such issues and similar.

It's more how data is used rather than what is held. That is 'deleted to all intents and purposes', even if the data is still held on backups or live where there is good reason to do that.
Legally things can get messy for some companies where the DPA comes in to it.
As a telecoms provider the company I work for has to abide by the DPA, but also has to abide by RIPA where data relating to customers and their usage *must* be retained for a certain amount of time and made available to the relevant authorities.

(A lot of people are scared of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act. We get about two requests for information a month under that act. The first thing we do is to read the request *very* carefully. Then we provide only the information that has been specifically asked for - if there is any. Usually it's along the lines of "Please provide account details for the telephone number xxxxxxxxx between start date and end date". Mostly we reply "Number xxxxxxxxx was not allocated during the date range given" meaning someone had faked the caller ID and it wasn't anything to do with our system)

Heater

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 am

This is the weirdest thing.

Someone takes the trouble to sign up here. A simple process but it requires some thought and effort. It does not happen by accident.

Then, in their first post asks how to get the account deleted.

I mean, really?

piras77

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:02 am

There is no need for justification (as said before).

It would be quite funny if everybody would need to explain their personal issues only since somebody else cannot imagine the reasons.

bensimmo

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:05 am

Heater wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:11 am
This is the weirdest thing.

Someone takes the trouble to sign up here. A simple process but it requires some thought and effort. It does not happen by accident.

Then, in their first post asks how to get the account deleted.

I mean, really?
Or they sign up under a new profile to ask the question so they can then request that for another profile.

What's the current state of the "right to be forgotten" ?

RaTTuS

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:06 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40826062

though - edit all your posts, remove info from account info , reset password and email address ...
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

bensimmo

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:13 am

My opinion is

It's up to the member, if they ask to be deleted then RPF should honour that request.
The member should say if they don't mind if the posts are kept, but they should also have the option to have them deleted if requested.

It doesn't take long in the admin panel and there will be a simple drop down to keep or remove posts after finding the user and remove option.

Return to “General discussion”