nipam.bhavsar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:07 pm

Hello,

We are currently working on project that is based on Raspberry Pi 3. We are currently in application development phase and it is about to complete. We will start production after approx. 2 months once our demo will complete. Before going into production, I have some questions and mentioned below. Please try to address those questions.
1) Can we use Raspberry Pi 3 as an Industrial Application?
2) Can we go for production using Raspberry Pi 3 for Industrial application?

It would be greatly appreciated if I can get any kind of suggestions.

Thanks,
Nipam

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:53 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes

There are millions of Pi's used in industrial applications.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

nipam.bhavsar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:59 pm

Dear Jamesh,

Thanks for your quick response and give the confirmation regarding RPi 3 can use in industrial.

Appreciated for your quick response.

Thanks,
Nipam

nipam.bhavsar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm

Dear Jamesh,

I forgot to ask one more query.

We have new project based on Raspberry Pi Zero W. Can we use RPi zero W board in industrial application? Is there any chance that after some time RPi zero W board will obsolete?

Looking forward for your positive response.

Thanks,
Nipam

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10378
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:16 pm

you cannot get a good supply of Pi0W
the form factor may change or it may stop any time
the Pi3 / Pi2 have a longer life cycle.
the compute module is what you really want for industrial stuff as that has a many year life cycle
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:00 pm

nipam.bhavsar wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm
Dear Jamesh,

I forgot to ask one more query.

We have new project based on Raspberry Pi Zero W. Can we use RPi zero W board in industrial application? Is there any chance that after some time RPi zero W board will obsolete?

Looking forward for your positive response.

Thanks,
Nipam
We do NOT guarantee the Zero will be available, or available in industrial quantities, or available at the current price point, or will stay the same shape. So while you could use it, I would not recommend it. You can still only buy one at a time as well.

The Pi3 is available in huge quantities, and the form factor is not changing in the near future.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 20143
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:15 pm

nipam.bhavsar wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:07 pm
Hello,

We are currently working on project that is based on Raspberry Pi 3. We are currently in application development phase and it is about to complete. We will start production after approx. 2 months once our demo will complete. Before going into production, I have some questions and mentioned below. Please try to address those questions.
1) Can we use Raspberry Pi 3 as an Industrial Application?
2) Can we go for production using Raspberry Pi 3 for Industrial application?

It would be greatly appreciated if I can get any kind of suggestions.

Thanks,
Nipam
Yes definitely and easy to deal with compliance: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... programme/

I noticed you mentioned using a ZERO, you would be better off using a RP1 1A/1B or the Compute Module !
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Heater
Posts: 12969
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:23 pm

nipam.bhavsar,

Yes, yes. One can use a Pi for whatever purpose. If it is sensible to do so is another question.

But, your question lacks enough information to answer sensibly.

What industry? What application?

Are you prepared to comply with all the licensing terms attached to every piece of software you are using in your Pi operating system?

Does that lack of any specification for the PI matter to you? For example operating temperature range.

More detail in your question would be interesting and make it possible to answer.

nipam.bhavsar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 am

Dear All,

Thanks for your kind response. I understood your all points about RPi3 and RPi Zero W board. We can move further with RPi 3 for production.

Our application is based on Industrial and IoT. Application is like turning ON and OFF the industrial heaters(6000 W) as per readings of Industrial Thermocouple Temperature. We need to send this status on Web application over the internet. Also we require to streaming CCTV camera videos in our application.

My question regarding compliance. Is it compulsory for product compliance testing for RPi 3 based product?

Thanks again for giving quick responses.

Thanks,
Nipam

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10590
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:40 am

nipam.bhavsar wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:12 am
Dear All,

Thanks for your kind response. I understood your all points about RPi3 and RPi Zero W board. We can move further with RPi 3 for production.

Our application is based on Industrial and IoT. Application is like turning ON and OFF the industrial heaters(6000 W) as per readings of Industrial Thermocouple Temperature. We need to send this status on Web application over the internet. Also we require to streaming CCTV camera videos in our application.

My question regarding compliance. Is it compulsory for product compliance testing for RPi 3 based product?

Thanks again for giving quick responses.

Thanks,
Nipam
Requirements for compliance testing are a matter of law in the jurisdiction in which you are going to sell the product. For US and EU markets, that means testing the whole product even if parts of it have been tested as standalone devices. Your own legal department should be on top of these issues. (You *do* have a legal department, or at least a knowledgeable lawyer you can get opinions from, don't you?)

User avatar
karrika
Posts: 1057
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:21 am
Location: Finland

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:25 pm

Usually the term "industrial" defines a larger operating range than "consumer". For critical control it is better to choose good quality parts with lower risk of failing. So if there is a risk of damage caused by leaving the 6000W heaters on when the Pi 3 crashes you need to address this in your risk analysis.

I am using Pi 3 at work. Not as part of any control systems but as part of service tools.

For control systems I use parts that confirm to "industrial" specs. In my case IEC 60945. The Pi 3 does not fulfill these.

nipam.bhavsar
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:27 am

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:03 am

Usually the term "industrial" defines a larger operating range than "consumer". For critical control it is better to choose good quality parts with lower risk of failing. So if there is a risk of damage caused by leaving the 6000W heaters on when the Pi 3 crashes you need to address this in your risk analysis.

I am using Pi 3 at work. Not as part of any control systems but as part of service tools.

For control systems I use parts that confirm to "industrial" specs. In my case IEC 60945. The Pi 3 does not fulfill these.
Thanks for the inputs regarding risk. We will take care of that thing.
Requirements for compliance testing are a matter of law in the jurisdiction in which you are going to sell the product. For US and EU markets, that means testing the whole product even if parts of it have been tested as standalone devices. Your own legal department should be on top of these issues. (You *do* have a legal department, or at least a knowledgeable lawyer you can get opinions from, don't you?)
Thanks for giving the understanding of compliance testing. I understood your point.

Thanks to all for resolving my doubts and giving the suggestion.

Thanks,
Nipam

SuperJojo2001
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:38 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:50 pm

This thread is a little older but I feel it is still worth it to mention at this point that the Raspberry Organization entitled Farnell Company Element14 (the company that produces the standard Raspberrys) to design and create custom devices from the original Raspberry Pi 3 schematics where in turn the output can be indeed industrial-suited then.
An example is the Raspberry Pi 3 circuitry combined with an Industrial Ethernet Controller on a single PCB like Hilscher made it with Element14: https://www.netiot.com/netpi. Benefit: with it a throttled RasPi CPU at core temperature higher than 80°C happens not at 24°C ambient air like it is with a standarpd Pi 3 already (even with heat sink on it) but at 50°C temperature cause of the better cooling concept ("sysbench" benchmark tool can make RasPi CPU really hot, try it out yourself). Or the design uses an 8 layer PCB compared to a 6 layer design used for Pi 3 which provides better electromagnetic compatibility. And and and ...

Regards
Jojo

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10590
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:30 am

nipam.bhavsar wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:09 pm
Is there any chance that after some time RPi zero W board will obsolete?
Don't worry about that. *Any* computer you can buy is obsolete.

Tamer
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:45 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:53 pm
1. Yes
2. Yes

There are millions of Pi's used in industrial applications.
Dear Jamesh,
I have the same concern regarding doing project for our factory and i need to know if there's a real life product/solution using Pi3, so if there's an examples for this current products it would be very helpful.

Thank you :)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm

NEC use the CM in their display TV's. Slice use the CM in their media player. Many many digital sign makers build Pi's in to their signage (cannot give names). Loads of museums use them, also lots of them used on productions lines for monitoring. Some bitcoin farms use them in that way. Then there is the 3000 Node super computer simulator at Los Alamos https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... me-of-age/

Of course, we don't see every industrial application, and there are loads we cannot talk about. But we have sold quite a few million in to specifically industrial applications.

However, what I cannot do is say that its perfect for your particular application, because i don't know what your application is. What I can say is that the Pi is a Linux based computer, that costs $35. So buy one, and test it, and see if it works for you.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Tamer
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:03 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:36 am

jamesh wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:00 pm
NEC use the CM in their display TV's. Slice use the CM in their media player. Many many digital sign makers build Pi's in to their signage (cannot give names). Loads of museums use them, also lots of them used on productions lines for monitoring. Some bitcoin farms use them in that way. Then there is the 3000 Node super computer simulator at Los Alamos https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbe ... me-of-age/

Of course, we don't see every industrial application, and there are loads we cannot talk about. But we have sold quite a few million in to specifically industrial applications.

However, what I cannot do is say that its perfect for your particular application, because i don't know what your application is. What I can say is that the Pi is a Linux based computer, that costs $35. So buy one, and test it, and see if it works for you.
Thank you for fast and explained reply.

my concern is about the heat from the direct sun light in the middle east (in the summer reach 52°C), so if there a solution to can endure this heat like customization to Pi3 or adding something.

I'm already using it in a lot of projects indoors :).

Thank you

atulkatti
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:18 am

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:34 am

Checking with original poster to see if he was successful in implementing the project with Pi. I want to do the same but want to make sure if Pi is robust

DirkS
Posts: 9874
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:21 am

atulkatti wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:34 am
Checking with original poster to see if he was successful in implementing the project with Pi. I want to do the same but want to make sure if Pi is robust
I doubt you will get a response (s)he has not logged in to the forum for 1.5 years...

Heater
Posts: 12969
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Can Raspberry Pi 3 use in Industrial?

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:48 am

atulkatti,

The Pi is a consumer product. It has no published specifications for operation in harsh environments. Maximum and minimum operating temperature, resistance to shock, vibration, humidity etc. There are certainly no guarantees that it will operate at extremes.

As such it's down to you to do your own testing and and take responsibility for it's robustness in your application.

Return to “General discussion”