fruitoftheloom

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:10 pm
We've just added the standard website top bar to the RPI theme - what do people think?
Yes that looks great for having a standard top bar across all the RPF Web Sites, am trying to like RPI Theme (why is it not RPi ?)

The only general issue is that 1080p (1920x1080 @ 60Hz) which is standard for HDMi FullHD TV UK leaves large blank space either side, I presume phpBB was written to a fixed maximum width ??
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:32 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:29 pm
Fruit see viewtopic.php?f=63&t=189117&start=75#p1190857 until they fix it
Thank you very much :D
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

bensimmo

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:44 pm

The new posts/unread post thing.
There is a third option to these and that is (on this forum) called Active Topics.
This differs from New Post and to 'me' is the more useful.

New Post
- shows the posts that are new since you last looked/came to the site.

Active Topics
- Shows the post in chronological order, newest replied to first, so does as New Posts but also with all previous posts as well.

Very good if you like to go back to some post you missed as you had to go do something else

I use Ego and Active Topics

New Messages is something different, that would be Private Messages in a forum context.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm

For those people not getting notification emails - we think that should now be working.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:49 pm
For those people not getting notification emails - we think that should now be working.
Yes. I just got one (only one!) just now.

For this thread, in fact.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

RaTTuS

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:14 pm

I just got https://i.imgur.com/2UVXeTC.png :( :o but it's not
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

scruss

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Overall, nice work!

One issue:
  • The forum's still trying to pull in a zero-byte favicon at https://www.raspberrypi.org/favicon.ico . Pages on the main site link to a working https://www.raspberrypi.org/app/themes/ ... avicon.png . Distinctive favicons help with telling lots of browser tabs apart, and having a zero-byte favicon is a deliberate action. Imagemagick (convert) will do the conversion for you in a one liner. It'll be cached by everyone's browsers, so the load won't be large. Please fix this - it was reported in 2014
One tiny thing:
  • There are no ‘New Posts’ or ‘Your Posts’ links without extra clicks and selections from the Quick links hamburger. So they are slower links than before.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:33 pm

There have been a few more fixes posted, the blue icon offset issue, plus some colour changes to aid readability are the standouts. I am keeping an eye on stuff here and passing on to web team who are doing a great job.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

rpiMike

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
I just got https://i.imgur.com/2UVXeTC.png :( :o but it's not
I'm sometimes getting 'IP banned' too !

beta-tester

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:39 pm

rpiMike wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm
RaTTuS wrote:
I just got
:( :o but it's not
I'm sometimes getting 'IP banned' too !
me too... :o :shock:
and writing an email to the board admin by using the form wasn't possible...
Last edited by beta-tester on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:40 pm

I've just tried the RPI theme on my phone and that is so much better than Raspite.

You've also fixed the offset problem with the unread posts links.

It's looking good.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

blachanc

IP based RPIforum BAN

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:44 pm

EDIT 11:45 EST: OK, now everything is back to normal !!
The ban lasted 5 minutes
Strange,
I was browsing the forum from work.
And I got the Ban based on IPpage.

Ben
Now, I am on my phone..
Attachments
RPI_BAN.jpg
Ban image
RPI_BAN.jpg (56.86 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

rpiMike

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - IP Banned/Reply Subject ?!?

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:53 pm

Still getting occasional IP banned.

Also when you reply should you be able to change the subject ?

MrEngman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 pm

Just got the same message about being banned when trying to log directly onto the forum.

I then logged on to raspberrypi.org and then selected the forum and I am now able to access the forum.

Weird.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes, it looks like we are all going to be permanently banned eventually.

BTW, I note that some recent posts in this thread refer to "IP banning" (or some similar word construction). Is there any reason to believe that the banning has anything to do with IP addresses, or is that just a colloquial form of speech favored in some quarters?

BTW2, make sure you save a copy of anything you're about to post (via your clipboard) before hitting submit, since it is likely that the post will fail and you'll end up losing your text. It just happened to me a few minutes ago (in another thread).

bensimmo

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Same here
----
You have been permanently banned from this board.

Please contact the Board Administrator for more information.

A ban has been issued on your IP address.
--
Clicking on contact say email cannot be sent again.
No email sent for why.

Tried a few times.

Went to main website and in that way, could read posts now and could login and post this.

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:11 pm
I note that some recent posts in this thread refer to "IP banning" (or some similar word construction). Is there any reason to believe that the banning has anything to do with IP addresses
Yes, because it does. Rest assured that we are aware of such issues as dynamic IP addresses. These reports are not about a real ban though. It's probably some bug in accessing the database.

helenlynn
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Thank you for all the continuing useful reports and comments! The web team are looking at the banning issue, and it looks as though it's about to be resolved.

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:35 pm

OK. I see what you mean. The current message, which as you say is just a forum bug, not any kind of real ban (though it is still annoying as heck), does (sometimes) say something about "A ban has been placed on your IP address". I'm used to the more normal "A ban has been placed on your username" type message.

I suppose the forum software does support banning either way (i.e., either by username or by IP address), though it seems kind of silly to me to ban by IP addresses. Oh well, I guess the functionality is there if you need it...

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:37 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:10 pm
We've just added the standard website top bar to the RPI theme - what do people think?
ARRRRGH!!!! I just wrote a lengthy reply to this, clicked Submit, and my reply seems to have been thrown away by the forum! That is SO FRUSTRATING!

The non-scrolling top bar is a bad thing - just as in about 90% of the other places this feature is used on the web - it's pretty (quite pretty in this case, I like the colors), but it makes the assumption that people don't have object permanence, and takes valuable screen space away from forum posts (which are the whole point of a forum), and gives that space to, essentially, branding. Not everyone is using dual 27" monitors - I'm on a 13" laptop, and have other windows competing for screen real estate (and no, examining the window's pixel size and then deciding to nail it down in some cases and not others isn't nice). Have it at the top of the page (not the top of the window) and let it scroll off - people will see it when they come in, and they'll know where to find it (because most people have been on the web more than five minutes, have visited several other websites, and grok the idea that there are useful navigational/context/information bits up at the top of most pages).

On my iPad (in portrait mode), at some point in the last little bit (but not right this minute - clearly things are in flux), the bar displayed at the top of the window but then scrolled off properly (and returned if one scrolled upwards on the page) - that's a much more civilized compromise, you could do that everywhere. That way, even someone following a link in from google or a blog somewhere will see that they're arrived in the Raspberry Pi forums, but then they can proceed to read posts without the banner soaking up screen space.

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:42 pm

It appears the RPI theme is using full justification (vs. flush left aka "ragged right") - please don't do that. It makes pages pretty at the expense of making them harder to read. Please let readability win.
Last edited by CarlRJ on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CarlRJ

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:49 pm

rurwin wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm
Yes, because it does. Rest assured that we are aware of such issues as dynamic IP addresses. These reports are not about a real ban though. It's probably some bug in accessing the database.
It would be much better if the failure mode for "failed trying to access the db to see if IP is banned" was "Sorry, we're having some trouble at the moment, please try back later", rather than "You are permanently banned!". That sounds like very sloppy coding on phpBB's (not RPF's) part (assuming any error can only be one thing - and generally the user's fault - rather than coding for specific errors and then having a more generic "unknown" case).

Burngate

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm

I thought I'd never say it, but I like this (RPI). I've been using Prosilver because I didn't like the wasted space left & right, but this might convert me.
Also, having read the whole thread, I've learnt a little bit about what's under the bonnet - or back at the factory, more precisely - and gained a little bit of appreciation for what the guys in the backroom have to do. So well done to all!

Piglet & RaTTuS: will that Firefox styles thing work for RPI theme, not just for ProSilver?
EDIT: no it doesn't. Shame.
Still, back in ProSilver, I've got my screen real-estate back. Thanks to you both.
Last edited by Burngate on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grega
Site Admin

Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:54 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:42 pm
It appears the RPI theme is using full justification (vs. flush left aka "ragged right") - please don't do that. It makes pages pretty at the expense of making them harder to read. Please let readability win.
Yep you're absolutely right, fix incoming...

Return to “General discussion”