DirkS

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:56 pm

RPI skin: I could not find the icon / link for 'view first unread post'
In prosilver and the extremely ugly raspberry_pi it''s to the left of the tite.
Just by coincidence I found that in RPI I have to click on the lower left corner of the topic icon (blue paper icon in the image below)
Would be good if this could be made more obvious, either by an icon overlay (if possible) or use the same method as in the other skins.
Attachments
unread-rpi.png
unread-rpi.png (3.52 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
unread-prosilver.png
unread-prosilver.png (4.7 KiB) Viewed 3288 times

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:58 pm

In RPI, top left of index page below search field, small three horizontal line icon, click, select "new posts"

EDIT: Ah, just realised what you meant. I agree, looks like that icons active area is not correct.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

stubright

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:14 pm

There appear to be an alignment issue with the 'unread posts' button, the clickable area is slightly left of the image button. RPI theme on Firefox/Chrome/Opera - Linux

beta-tester

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm
I think the RPI skin code blocks should now be working, not sure about raspberry yet, but worth a try.

EDIT. Should be fixed in both themes.
Yes, checked it, working fine now. Thanks Web Dudes!
you are quick in fixing.

is there a possibility to make the background of the edit field less dark while typing of the RPI theme?
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

beta-tester

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm

even with option "hide my online status", i see my name on the bottom "Who is online".
does a user always see itself, even with that option enabled, or is it visible to everyone
(RPI & ProSilver)
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPiZeroW, ...

jamesh

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:21 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:15 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:50 pm
jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:45 pm
I think the RPI skin code blocks should now be working, not sure about raspberry yet, but worth a try.

EDIT. Should be fixed in both themes.
Yes, checked it, working fine now. Thanks Web Dudes!
you are quick in fixing.

is there a possibility to make the background of the edit field less dark while typing of the RPI theme?
You'll have to wait until tomorrow for more fixes, web team are having dinner! Pah, eating. Wimps.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

davidcoton

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:23 pm

Like it so far -- RPI theme is by far the best. Distinctively Raspberry but has good functionality and appearance.
Is it possible to format posting dates according to the computer locale preferences? My preferences are not the default! [EDIT: Can select other formats, not sure if any are derived from the locale]
Need to try the search to see if that is fixed yet.
Last edited by davidcoton on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signature retired

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm

great work fixing the code tags this quickly !

jamesh

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:20 pm
even with option "hide my online status", i see my name on the bottom "Who is online" (RPI & ProSilver)
Interesting, I can see you are online, but might be because I am a mod. I'll flag it up.

Martin Frezman

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:37 pm

"unread messages" seems to be gone.

Before the big change, there were two things to click on that said something like "Unread posts" and "Unread messages" (Note: I may have this wrong - the word may have been "New" rather than "Unread"; I can't remember (and, of course, there's no way to go back and check)).

Anyway, the gist was that "Unread posts" was useless, but "Unread Messages" was my go-to click for seeing only those threads that have new responses. That functionality is now missing (tested with all 3 of the "skin"s - is missing in all of them).

In the current version, there is something that says "New Posts", which is sort of what I'm looking for, but doesn't really work. The "Unread Messages" thing is gone.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

jamesh

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:

Before the big change, there were two things to click on that said something like "Unread posts" and "Unread messages" (Note: I may have this wrong - the word may have been "New" rather than "Unread"; I can't remember (and, of course, there's no way to go back and check)).

Anyway, the gist was that "Unread posts" was useless, but "Unread Messages" was my go-to click for seeing only those threads that have new responses. That functionality is now missing (tested with all 3 of the "skin"s - is missing in all of them).

In the current version, there is something that says "New Posts", which is sort of what I'm looking for, but doesn't really work. The "Unread Messages" thing is gone.
Top left, under the search bar, three horizontal lines, click for menu.

beta-tester

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:53 pm

jamesh wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:47 pm
Martin Frezman wrote:
Top left, under the search bar, three horizontal lines, click for menu.
and for prosilver theme, top left position, three lines, with name Quick links (not under the search bar)
Last edited by beta-tester on Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicolap8

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:56 pm

I inform you that, here, in 2017, exist all kind of monitor bigger than 640*480!!!
With Firefox on PC the forum uses only a part of monitor width, not the best but can live with.
With Firefox on Android (8.3" 2560*1600) the site does ignore the "Text size" setting (eg. Wikipedia instead works well) and uses a small font. When I zoom the upper bar is shifted to the right.
Considering the ever-increasing use of phones and tablets, you have not done a good job.

DirkS

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 pm

RPI skin: text is fully justified and it doesn't always look good (see image below).
Can this be changed to simple left aligned text?
Attachments
justified.png
justified.png (5.31 KiB) Viewed 3196 times

beta-tester

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

nicolap8 wrote:
I inform you that...
plenty space left and right for advertising.:P

beta-tester

[MODIFIED] Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm

is it new, and intended/wanted, that you can change subject of a post further down?

original subject: (as backup)

EDIT: ok, it is not a problem... normal "post replies" will get the original subject. i thought the changed subject will "infect" all further posts

hippy

Re: [MODIFIED] Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:15 pm

beta-tester wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:06 pm
EDIT: ok, it is not a problem... normal "post replies" will get the original subject. i thought the changed subject will "infect" all further posts
Only if it's a 'reply with quote' to a post with the modified title ( as here ). It's not a new feature from what I recall.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:44 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm
great work fixing the code tags this quickly !
James Hughes deserves a pat on the back for this. It can't be easy doing this kind of maintenance on a very busy forum.

I'm just starting to get used to the RPi theme on my laptop. Might have to tryit on my phone. Can't try it on any Raspberry as my mobile data doesn't stretch that far and BT/Plusnet have broken my broadband.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

CarlRJ

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:56 pm

nicolap8 wrote:
I inform you that, here, in 2017, exist all kind of monitor bigger than 640*480!!! ...
Considering the ever-increasing use of phones and tablets, you have not done a good job.
Reports of problems are helpful. Snide remarks are not called for.

CarlRJ

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm

On the default theme (raspberry_pi):

1. As suggested, dim the signatures/last-edited section (maybe gray instead of black text?) and make it a bit smaller (maybe 70%-80%?), to put more focus on people's words rather than boilerplate.

2. I'd really like to see something done to set the Stickies off a bit more from the "normal" posts on the index page - perhaps a very slight tint to the background of those rows? This would make it much easier to focus on either the stickies or the normal posts, rather than having to wade through the former to get to the latter.

3. Don't really need the always-on menu top bar - it's nice for new visitors perhaps, but most of us are quite capable of scrolling up to the top of the page, and I'd like the screen space back (again, putting more focus on / devoting more space to people's words).

4. The line at the bottom of the posting page, ("Display posts from previous: ALL POSTS Sort by POST TIME ASCENDING"), the text is kind of comically large, don't need to read the "ALL POSTS" button from far away. Making things too big can actually make them hard to see. Actually, it looks like buttons around the forum (in the control panel, etc.) are themed the same way.

5. The indication on the index page of whether a thread has unread posts has gone from presence / absence of an icon (which was very easy to spot, while quickly scrolling down the list) to using the same icon for both with just a subtle color change: red vs blue, but the color is only a thin (1px?) border on a gray icon and changing the color of the (1px?) lines in the middle that represent text. Skimming the list quickly doesn't really work now, one has to take a split second to examine each icon.

In addition, the color-only indication might pose problems for color-blind people, and people who run in monochrome mode or reduced brightness could see these icons as exactly the same (I recall some OS-level accessibility control setting such modes, so having such slight variations might be adversely affecting people who need such settings). Please strongly consider changing the shape of one of the pair (read/unread) - maybe make one of the two square instead of round? Maybe at least tint the gray background of one of them to the red/blue color? Something to make them easier to parse. Thanks.
Last edited by CarlRJ on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:09 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:03 pm
2. I'd really like to see something done to set the Stickies off a bit more from the "normal" posts on the index page - perhaps a very slight tint to the background of those rows? This would make it much easier to focus on either the stickies or the normal posts, rather than having to wade through the former to get to the latter.
The thing that needs to be done about a lot of the stickies is to review them and "unstick" them. Too many are past their sell-by date, some are way past their use-by dates as well. Some could be turned into "announcements", but I suspect most will be allowed to simply fade away.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tinfoil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:25 pm

Mostly looks good to me. Burger menus are good. :-)

Only one small thing is big white space on prosilver as others have mentioned.

Pithagoros

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm

It was OK before and it's still OK.

Never used prosliver so can't comment on that.

Does what it needs to do, no need to make a big deal.

piglet

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:39 pm

I do love phpBB - for quite a few years I helped admin several forums using it. The only word of warning I'd have is that because it's so widely used it's really quite a magnet for script kiddies and if you're not really up to date things get ugly rather fast as soon as the next exploit is found.

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:47 pm

First off good work fixing the code tag problem so quickly Thank you.

so having switch back to the raspberry_pi skin a couple of points
first what's happened to the button that used to be at the end of a thread of posts that took you back to the forum it was in ?

and I don't really think the font in the buttons needs to be any bigger than the surrounding text font. it makes the buttons look childish or crude.
Attachments
but2.jpg
but2.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
but1.jpg
but1.jpg (7.94 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
Last edited by pcmanbob on Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Return to “General discussion”