bensimmo

Re: Forum code readability

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:01 am

Still 14,000,000 Pi's sold.

jetibest

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 am

jamesh wrote:14M boards sold, approximately 500k a month being built. Assume 10% new owners, 50k new users per month. We do not get anywhere near that many new registrations per month. Right now, 631 guests online, and 19 registered users (You can only post if registered.) so about 3% registered. 3% of 50000 is about 1500. We don't get new 1500 registrations per month.

Still pretty unpredictable, and figures off the back of an envelope and worked out in head, so prone to error.
1500 registrations per month, that is optimistic with 631:19 ratio, I would assume 600:30, that is more pessimistic (in advantage of the point you're trying to make).

I checked using the waybackmachine (https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://w ... /index.php) to see what the 'Total members'-count was two months ago (23th of may 2017), it says: 200615.
Right now that is "Total posts 1149763 • Total topics 171411 • Total members 207533".

That means in the past (less than) two months you have (207533-200615 =) 6918 new members.
Checking with the member-count since february 2017, that is roughly 2600 per month, but now over 3000 per month (which is double the amount you're saying this forum doesn't even reach).

Pretty unpredictable, true. But reason to doubt? No.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:37 am

jetibest wrote:
jamesh wrote:14M boards sold, approximately 500k a month being built. Assume 10% new owners, 50k new users per month. We do not get anywhere near that many new registrations per month. Right now, 631 guests online, and 19 registered users (You can only post if registered.) so about 3% registered. 3% of 50000 is about 1500. We don't get new 1500 registrations per month.

Still pretty unpredictable, and figures off the back of an envelope and worked out in head, so prone to error.
1500 registrations per month, that is optimistic with 631:19 ratio, I would assume 600:30, that is more pessimistic (in advantage of the point you're trying to make).

I checked using the waybackmachine (https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://w ... /index.php) to see what the 'Total members'-count was two months ago (23th of may 2017), it says: 200615.
Right now that is "Total posts 1149763 • Total topics 171411 • Total members 207533".

That means in the past (less than) two months you have (207533-200615 =) 6918 new members.
Checking with the member-count since february 2017, that is roughly 2600 per month, but now over 3000 per month (which is double the amount you're saying this forum doesn't even reach).

Pretty unpredictable, true. But reason to doubt? No.
Hmm, hadn't checked recent registrations - more than I thought.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:00 pm

New registrations do also tend to peak in certain circumstances, eg when a new piece of pi hardware is announced.
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

jamesh

Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm

I was misreading the situation - extrapolating from the number of new post requests to the number of registrations. But it appears that the number of new registrations doesn't coincide too closely with the number of new posts.

So, more registrations than new posters.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:03 pm

jetibest wrote: "No way of knowing."
Well, having a simple poll-popup on the forum - over the course of only one day - asking if you have ever registered before on this forum, could already give you a pretty good idea how many guests are actually members in disguise. And Raspberry Pi staff may have a better idea of how many of those 12.5M are unique customers (if that number is ~1.1, ~1.5, ~2.0, ...).
Making these two variables more reliable seems relatively simple.
A few years back, I think it was Dr. Upton who said that the original expectation that any given individual would--on average--buy, perhaps, 2 or 3 Pis, but the reality was more like 5 or 6. At the moment, I *think* my total is more like 30, so I am likely to be an outlier, but that will be balanced out (at least partially) by those that only buy 1. All of this ignores industrial, commercial or (to a lesser extent) educational users who may buy anywhere from hundreds to hundreds of thousands. Remember about 18 months ago when the *entire* supply of A+ boards suddenly disappeared? There have been recent statements that about 50% of all Pis go into industrial/commercial use, so this side discussion really ought to only consider the remaining 50%. In the end, it is going to be very difficult to come up with a ratio of Pis to owners.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:12 pm

bensimmo wrote:Still 14,000,000 Pi's sold.
If my memory hasn't completely failed, that number was mentioned over a month ago. One may reasonably surmise with some certainty that by the end of September, that number will be over 15 million. Pi sales already put it at #3 for total sales of a single computer design total sales. I think it obvious that the Pi is unlikely to ever overtake the Mac or the WinTel PC, though it would be rather amusing if it ever did pass the Mac and hit the #2 spot. (It could probably only happen if Apple quit making Macs, so that there would be a static number to go for.)

In any case, no other SBC is even within shouting distance and if the production of Pis were to stop now, it would be decades before any other SBC came close to the number of Pis sold.

Will there be a party when Pi sales reach 20 million? Or will that have to wait for 100 million?

W. H. Heydt

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:16 pm

jamesh wrote:But it appears that the number of new registrations doesn't coincide too closely with the number of new posts.
Correlate, perhaps?

Heater

Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:17 pm

How are they counting Mac sales figures?

As far as I'm concerned there have been at least 3 totally different Mac lines. The original Motoroala 68xxx models. The Power PC models. And now the Intel models.

On top of that there have been at least two totally different operating systems to.

bensimmo

Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Heater wrote:How are they counting Mac sales figures?

As far as I'm concerned there have been at least 3 totally different Mac lines. The original Motoroala 68xxx models. The Power PC models. And now the Intel models.

On top of that there have been at least two totally different operating systems to.
The Pi has got many more Operating Systems, so who counting.
What's powering it doesn't matter either, the concept of a computer sold by Apple.
Does Pi include the CM's?
Should Apple include Tablets and Phones? Different OS but still a computer sold by Apple in reality.

PC could be anything and that's the point of a PC. There are so many different platforms
Apple did creap back into the top 5 , what this has to do with being able to read the website clearly.

I tried raspite for a bit today on my phone (android, chrome) and the display is a mess.
No recent 'my posts'.
Click the burger thing (which is missing from prosilver) and most the text is off the left side of the screen unreadable.
Going into option for me and everything badly layed out, so is the main screen.
I could screenshot but it's all known already.

I switched back and just have to tap zoom and select on my phone.

On a PC or Raspberry it's much easier.

Perhaps somebody good at these things could offer to tidy it up and or tweak the default.skins to give it a newer seamless look.

jamesh

Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:12 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:But it appears that the number of new registrations doesn't coincide too closely with the number of new posts.
Correlate, perhaps?
Yup! Correct word would not come to mind when writing that!

B.Goode

Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:34 pm

This Tweet from the Raspberry Pi Foundation may mean that we are about to see changes to the forum:
Please note: the Raspberry Pi forums will be read-only for 24hrs on Tuesday 25th July as we upgrade, beautify, and replace the server monkey
https://twitter.com/Raspberry_Pi/status ... 6693115904

bensimmo

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:20 pm

B.Goode wrote:This Tweet from the Raspberry Pi Foundation may mean that we are about to see changes to the forum:
Please note: the Raspberry Pi forums will be read-only for 24hrs on Tuesday 25th July as we upgrade, beautify, and replace the server monkey

Could we have a Rainbow Unicorn as a placeholder while we wait ?
Does that also imply James is being replaced ? :o :lol:

jamesh

Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:26 pm

bensimmo wrote:
B.Goode wrote:This Tweet from the Raspberry Pi Foundation may mean that we are about to see changes to the forum:

Could we have a Rainbow Unicorn as a placeholder while we wait ?
Does that also imply James is being replaced ? :o :lol:
Hope not!

davidcoton

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:11 pm

bensimmo wrote:Does that also imply James is being replaced ? :o :lol:
More importantly, is James a qualified Pink Unicorn?
Signature retired

Jednorozec

Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:37 pm

Pink Unicorns are a pigment of the imagination. Unicorns are only white or black.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

rpdom

Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:04 pm

We need a picture of jamesh riding a rainbow unicorn while holding a Pi 5B ;-)

CarlRJ

Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:33 pm

rpdom wrote:We need a picture of jamesh riding a rainbow unicorn while holding a Pi 5B ;-)
I have one, but I'm planning to make millions by selling it to the National Enquirer.

Had this thread as an open tab for a while, intending to suggest it might be better form to be a bit more gracious towards our hard-working hosts here at this entirely free shindig. Glad to see that it's morphed into a discussion of user counts and statistics and rainbow unicorns (but get it right, people, it's "Pink Ponies and Unicorns").

I've always had a particular fondness for this forum, in part because of the default theme. Yes, it's not as capable as ProSilver, but ProSilver is horribly cluttered, while Raspite makes it easy to focus on the content of the posts rather than the piles of surrounding neon and chrome that most other forum themes have. I've never had the slightest trouble reading code on the forum, except when people don't bother to use code tags, making an unparseable mess of Python. Haven't tried the select all button recently, it always used to work, perhaps it is broken now. Generally, if it's more than a dozen lines of code and I care about reading it, I'll copy/paste it into MacVim to get syntax highlighting anyway.

(Oh, and for the counting: half a dozen Pi's - 3B, 2B, 2x 1B, 2x 0W - actively running, and few million spares awaiting various projects.)

davidcoton

Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:51 pm

CarlRJ wrote: (but get it right, people, it's "Pink Ponies and Unicorns").
See my Avatar. Clearly at least one of the Pi Unicorns is Predominantly Pink, with Rainbow markings.
CarlRJ wrote:(Oh, and for the counting: half a dozen Pi's - 3B, 2B, 2x 1B, 2x 0W - actively running, and few million spares awaiting various projects.)
[literally]That's worrying. It implies that you are responsible for a very large proportion of all Pi sales. What does the Foundation need to do to ensure you continue to buy a million or so Pis each year?[/literally]
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”