gamesover
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 am

Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:46 am

In China online b2c provider taobao.com, there are lots of seller sell raspberry pi products. Some of them claim they are made in UK, Made in Japn, Made in China so the price is cheaper than official ones. https://s.taobao.com/search?spm=a230r.1 ... 7630316715

Are those real Raspberry pi? For example, https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a2 ... =19#detail is a made in UK version. Is it true or fake? Thanks

User avatar
allfox
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm
Location: Guang Dong, China

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:08 am

Mostly (if not all), they are real. If they deliver something else to you, you could report to Taobao.

gamesover
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:42 am

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:59 am

allfox wrote:Mostly (if not all), they are real. If they deliver something else to you, you could report to Taobao.
Thanks. Just a bit confused how could the price only half of the official one.

Anyway, thanks for your confirmation.

S0litaire
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:24 pm
Location: Ayrshire, Scotland
Contact: ICQ Skype Twitter

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:50 pm

gamesover wrote:
allfox wrote:Mostly (if not all), they are real. If they deliver something else to you, you could report to Taobao.
Thanks. Just a bit confused how could the price only half of the official one.

Anyway, thanks for your confirmation.
Easy
They buy in bulk and put a small mark-up so its 175 yaun,
and then hit you with a shipping charge of 200 yaun.
total cost:
UK £42.66
US $55.56
Euro €47.97
--
Laters

Bill "Solitaire" C

Anáil nathrach, ortha bhas betha, do cheol déanta

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 4536
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:38 am

S0litaire wrote:
gamesover wrote:
allfox wrote:Mostly (if not all), they are real. If they deliver something else to you, you could report to Taobao.
Thanks. Just a bit confused how could the price only half of the official one.

Anyway, thanks for your confirmation.
Easy
They buy in bulk and put a small mark-up so its 175 yaun,
and then hit you with a shipping charge of 200 yaun.
total cost:
UK £42.66
US $55.56
Euro €47.97
LOL! Yea, you see lots of that nonsense on ebay too. Product is 1 cent, but shipping is $40, then if the product is defective the seller will happily refund your 1 cent. Heck, I've even seen 3rd party sellers on Amazon doing that.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

User avatar
allfox
Posts: 452
Joined: Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:36 pm
Location: Guang Dong, China

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:20 am

200 CNY should include both the Pi and the shipping. Not 175+200.

I don't understand why Japanese RS version is cheapper than Chinese Element14 version on Chinese market. Merchants are magician.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35840
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:48 pm

HawaiianPi wrote: LOL! Yea, you see lots of that nonsense on ebay too. Product is 1 cent, but shipping is $40, then if the product is defective the seller will happily refund your 1 cent. Heck, I've even seen 3rd party sellers on Amazon doing that.
That's also done because eBay/Amazon get their cut of $0.01 but don't get any percentage on the $40.00 for shipping.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fanoush
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:25 am

HawaiianPi wrote: LOL! Yea, you see lots of that nonsense on ebay too. Product is 1 cent, but shipping is $40, then if the product is defective the seller will happily refund your 1 cent.
ebay will refund everything including shipping, that's not the reason

One reason may be that the price looks lower in the listing but nowadays you can sort by price including shipping so this doesn't work much for them anymore. Their next way to cheat the sorting is to put something else which is much cheaper together as a variant of the product so it get sorted by the cheapest one. This works but you see price range. I got used to skip such listings with price range but then they figured out that when they make the cheapest one out of stock you don't see the price range and still it gets sorted by cheapest price and when you select the real thing the price goes up. I wonder when ebay fixes this. cat and mouse game

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 4162
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Are those Raspberry Pi REAL in taobao.com?

Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:30 am

DougieLawson wrote:
HawaiianPi wrote: LOL! Yea, you see lots of that nonsense on ebay too. Product is 1 cent, but shipping is $40, then if the product is defective the seller will happily refund your 1 cent. Heck, I've even seen 3rd party sellers on Amazon doing that.
That's also done because eBay/Amazon get their cut of $0.01 but don't get any percentage on the $40.00 for shipping.
In the UK they include shipping in the full fee price now, well last time we used it they did. It was to stop this fee (some might call it tax) workaround.
Shame the UK can't seen to do the same to ebay.

Return to “General discussion”