doesntmatteratall

Is RPI 3 Model B Powerful Enough?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:02 am

Hello everyone. I'm considering to buy RPI 3 Model B but I'm not really sure if it's powerful enough to play youtube videos and movies in 1080p 60hz, surfing the web and using Linux (I'll be using ElementaryOS) properly, without having any struggle and lag. Should I buy RPI 3 or anything else? If so, what would you guys suggest me to buy? Thank you!

W. H. Heydt

Re: Is RPI 3 Model B Powerful Enough?

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:36 am

People do everything you mentioned--well, maybe not ElementaryOS as I never heard of that--with Pi3B boards. But if you're really that concerned about performance, get a PC.

mattmiller

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:48 am

Personally for me, a Pi3 is marginal for general use still.

Does many many things quite fast enough, like running your own programs (and I hear many peopl are happy to use it for media playback but I don't use mine for that) but its on the edge as far as being a gen purpose desktop machine

I would compare it to an old 7 year old 1.6G intel windows netbook - but it boots up much much quicker so its much better in that department :)

Using anything else other than standard Raspbian is not recommended - that's the one that's been tuned to the hilt to wring as much performance out as possible for it

klricks

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:20 am

doesntmatteratall wrote:Hello everyone. I'm considering to buy RPI 3 Model B but I'm not really sure if it's powerful enough to play youtube videos and movies in 1080p 60hz, surfing the web and using Linux (I'll be using ElementaryOS) properly, without having any struggle and lag. Should I buy RPI 3 or anything else? If so, what would you guys suggest me to buy? Thank you!
There is no mention of a version that runs on a RPi on the web site: https://elementary.io/ so there is 100% chance that you will not be able to use that OS on a RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Buster w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:23 am

doesntmatteratall wrote:Hello everyone. I'm considering to buy RPI 3 Model B but I'm not really sure if it's powerful enough to play youtube videos and movies in 1080p 60hz, surfing the web and using Linux (I'll be using ElementaryOS) properly, without having any struggle and lag. Should I buy RPI 3 or anything else? If so, what would you guys suggest me to buy? Thank you!
Buy a Raspberry Pi 3B, I puchased this kit:

https://www.element14.com/community/doc ... tarter-kit

ElementaryOS has not been ported to ARMHF for use with the Raspberry Pi, use the default Raspbian Jessie with Desktop (it is a fork of Debian Jessie ARMHF) Operating System:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/help/

Regards using Youtube etal, take a look at kweb:

viewtopic.php?t=40860

Regards web-browsing Raspbian Jessie with Desktop includes chromium-browser web browser and on the RPi 3B includes Flash Player ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:25 am

With regard to media playback, 100's of thousands of RPI are used as media players, running stuff like Kodi. It's really good at it, up to 1080p30 playback (although display is 60Hz). It doesn't do 4K at acceptable framerates though, no HW acceleration.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

doesntmatteratall

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:27 pm

Would be pretty good to hear if Elementary OS would support RPi3B. I didn't know that it does not, sad. I don't need 4K, but playing videos and movies at 1080p is quite amazing and enough for me. I don't want to build another PC as I already have one, I needed a cheap, smart, small solution for only my soft multimedia works. Thank you people for giving me useful feedbacks in a short time. I appreciate it, helped me a lot.

HawaiianPi

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:44 am

mattmiller wrote:Personally for me, a Pi3 is marginal for general use still.

Does many many things quite fast enough, like running your own programs (and I hear many peopl are happy to use it for media playback but I don't use mine for that) but its on the edge as far as being a gen purpose desktop machine

I would compare it to an old 7 year old 1.6G intel windows netbook - but it boots up much much quicker so its much better in that department :)

Using anything else other than standard Raspbian is not recommended - that's the one that's been tuned to the hilt to wring as much performance out as possible for it
I agree with what was said above.

I have a Pi3 on my desk as a second computer, and while I do find it useful, I'm often frustrated by its slow performance. I used to have an old Acer netbook with an Atom N450 CPU and it was better in almost every way, except for media playback. The Pi3 is much better at HD video playback.

If you really want a tiny SBC, you might want to take a look at the Asus Tinker Board. It uses the same form factor as the Pi3, but it has double the RAM and nearly double the performance. It's a relatively new product, though, so software development and support are nowhere near what you have with the Pi3.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

doesntmatteratall

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:05 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
mattmiller wrote:Personally for me, a Pi3 is marginal for general use still.

I agree with what was said above.

I have a Pi3 on my desk as a second computer, and while I do find it useful, I'm often frustrated by its slow performance. I used to have an old Acer netbook with an Atom N450 CPU and it was better in almost every way, except for media playback. The Pi3 is much better at HD video playback.

If you really want a tiny SBC, you might want to take a look at the Asus Tinker Board. It uses the same form factor as the Pi3, but it has double the RAM and nearly double the performance. It's a relatively new product, though, so software development and support are nowhere near what you have with the Pi3.
Good idea but somehow I obsessed with using Elementary OS but can't do as it does not support ARM processors and it's not sure that it'll soon. So, I need a tiny, cheap, powerful (powerful enough to only watch 1080p 60hz movies and videos online and surf the web, and maybe use some programs like Filezilla and stuff) SBC that I could use eOS with. But I believe I have to give up on eOS and start looking another good Linux. Anyone has idea what that can be?
Last edited by doesntmatteratall on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattmiller

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:10 am

Anyone has idea what that can be?
No

No idea

No-one knows

or maybe
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

might work - who knows?

fruitoftheloom

Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:39 am

doesntmatteratall wrote:But I believe I have to give up from eOS and start to looking another good Linux. Anyone has idea what that can be?
ElementaryOS is Ubuntu with the Pantheon Desktop, Ubuntu is based of Debian x86

Raspbian OS is based off Debian ARMHF

Therefore apart from the fancy desktop not much difference under the hood....................... :shock:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

doesntmatteratall

Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:59 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
doesntmatteratall wrote:But I believe I have to give up from eOS and start to looking another good Linux. Anyone has idea what that can be?
ElementaryOS is Ubuntu with the Pantheon Desktop, Ubuntu is based of Debian x86

Raspbian OS is based off Debian ARMHF

Therefore apart from the fancy desktop not much difference under the hood....................... :shock:
You're right. I'll consider to buy RPi3B. Is there any info when a newer, stronger version will be released? Maybe like RPi4? I may wait if it'd be released soon.

DirkS

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:15 pm

doesntmatteratall wrote:Is there any info when a newer, stronger version will be released? Maybe like RPi4? I may wait if it'd be released soon.
No need to wait. You'll only know there's a new model when it hits the shops.

Heater

Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 pm

doesntmatteratall,

No, there is no estimate of if/when a new Pi model may come about. The Raspberry Pi foundation does not announce or discuss such things ahead of time. For obvious reasons.

Just get yourself a Pi 3 now. It's a lot of fun. Whenever a Pi 4 comes out you will have saved up enough to be able to buy one of those as well :)

Raspbian is the best operating system for the Pi. It's based on Debian as are eOS, Ubuntu and a ton of others. It has the best support, from the Pi Foundation and the huge user community.

doesntmatteratall

Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Heater wrote:doesntmatteratall,

No, there is no estimate of if/when a new Pi model may come about. The Raspberry Pi foundation does not announce or discuss such things ahead of time. For obvious reasons.

Just get yourself a Pi 3 now. It's a lot of fun. Whenever a Pi 4 comes out you will have saved up enough to be able to buy one of those as well :)

Raspbian is the best operating system for the Pi. It's based on Debian as are eOS, Ubuntu and a ton of others. It has the best support, from the Pi Foundation and the huge user community.
Thank you for your reply! Well informing for me, you are right, indeed. It's better I stick with RPi3B and Raspbian. If I don't, I may consider Asus Tinker Board but not sure yet.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 16, 2017 3:24 pm

doesntmatteratall wrote: You're right. I'll consider to buy RPi3B. Is there any info when a newer, stronger version will be released? Maybe like RPi4? I may wait if it'd be released soon.
When the Pi3B was released in early 2016, Dr. Upton said (paraphrasing), 'Don't expect the next Pi for 2 to 3 years.' So--in theory--the Pi4B may appear sometime between early 2018 and early 2019. This assumes, of course, that there are no unforeseen delays. So...as others have said, get a Pi3B now and don't worry about the Pi4B. A Pi in the hand, and all that.

CarlRJ

Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:45 pm

Just to add to the chorus: if a Pi appears to meet your needs (from this thread it sounds like it does), then get a Pi 3B now, don't wait for the next model (it almost certainly won't appear this year, and might not appear next year). If a Pi 4 comes along in a year or two, and you are persuaded that you want to upgrade, most any extra bits you've bought to plug into the Pi 3B will likely work with the Pi 4, and the Pi 4 will likely cost about the same as today's Pi 3B (i.e. more than dinner but way less than a bicycle).

And run Raspbian on it, specifically because that's the OS that gets the most attention and support from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, and that's what 90ish % of other users use, so you'll find the most answers and tutorials for it. (The one general exception to this is, if you're building a dedicated media-watching-and-nothing-else box, it's worth looking into the standalone Kodi/LibreElec releases.) Also keep in mind that it's quite easy to have a spare microSD card or two, and load them up with entirely different OS's to experiment with, and then plug your Raspbian microSD card back in when you're done. But start with Raspbian.

And, really, support and community is what separates the Pi from most other SBCs - Raspbian has gone through many revisions over the past 5 years, and the latest version still runs well on every Pi ever sold, and there's a huge user community surrounding the Pi, busily hooking up all sorts of other gear to it, and companies building add-on boards and cases and displays and such specifically for the Pi. In contrast, many (perhaps most?) other SBCs get some support from their manufacturer, an initial port of some Linux variant, and... not much else (and this applies to a lot of boards that are initially hyped as "Pi killers", because they have 1 or 2 hardware features the Pi lacks). Keep in mind the Pi didn't win the SBC wars (if there was a war, I'm declaring them the winner) by being fastest or having the most RAM or best GPU - pretty much any desktop PC will blow it out of the water on all those counts - it won by being good enough hardware with really excellent support and a terrific ecosystem surrounding it.

Return to “General discussion”