W. H. Heydt

Re: Pi Zero W availability

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 pm

ppan wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
ppan wrote:Especially when stock in their own country is nil. ...
Except that isn't true. Check The Pi Locator for stock information (not quantities, just availability).
There is not a single store on that page from the Netherlands that has the Pi Zero W in stock. So yes it is true in my case.
There are a lot of countries that don't have stores selling Pi0Ws or Pi0s. Indeed, in the US, there is only one store chain that sells Pi0s, and there are only a few of their stores in the entire country. The nearest to me is over 400 miles (>600Km) away, and I'm still better off in that regard than much of the US. You live in the EU, correct? That covers the UK (for now, anyway) and Germany. Both countries have Pi0/Pi0W vendors and those are both closer to you than the major mail-order source of Pi0Ws (Adafruit--about 3000 miles away, or about 4500Km) is to me, and Adafruit doesn't even carry the Pi0 any more.

Or as the old saw has it...The US is where 100 years is a long time. Europe is where 100 miles is a long distance.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:25 pm

ppan wrote: This is about communication with humans. You are comparing machine logic to human brains and emotion. A technical perspective. But humans do not work like computers so in my opinion this is not the right approach. Even so, I am not the one making the decision. Thank you for your update.
*click* *whirr* What are these "humans" of which you speak?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm

ppan wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
ppan wrote:Especially when stock in their own country is nil. ...
Except that isn't true. Check The Pi Locator for stock information (not quantities, just availability).
There is not a single store on that page from the Netherlands that has the Pi Zero W in stock. So yes it is true in my case.
Really? Kiwi-electronics has them in stock, and its located in between the small town of Delft, and den Hague! The capital City of The Netherlands.
https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/raspber ... -pi-zero-w
Perhaps you thought is was located in new-zealand.....
Just checked, and yes they do have stock (of the PI zero, they get restocked with PI zero W's on a regular basis)!

DirkS

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 pm

mahjongg wrote:Really? Kiwi-electronics has them in stock, and its located in den Hague! The capital City of The Netherlands.
https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/raspber ... versie-1-3
Perhaps you thought is was located in new-zealand.....
Just checked, and yes they do have stock!
Euh... no. This is about the W: https://www.kiwi-electronics.nl/raspber ... -pi-zero-w

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:41 pm

Actually they have both, and I have corrected my link. Thanks.
They get new stock weekly, so just check a couple of times.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:00 am

ppan wrote:
jamesh wrote:
ppan wrote:Imply = assumption. And assumption is the mother of all... ;)

If the organisation chooses not to keep interested consumers up to date on stock now and in the near future then you can expect people to ask around if there is no news for quite some time. Especially when stock in their own country is nil. It could be as easy as creating one page with an explanation (high demand, priority to other commercially more attractive models etc) and an update every month which need not bo more than "No change". That's propably way less hassle than having to answer the question over and over again.
I cannot believe this comes up again and again. It has been explained, time and time again; If there is no news THERE IS NO NEWS. Nothing has changed. It's the difference between Polling and interrupts. Polling is a waste of cycles, interrupts are more efficient. Monthly updates with no changed content are the equivalent of polling. A waste of cycles. WEait for the announcement of a change (an interrupt).

(and Imply does NOT mean Assumption btw, they are VERY different words)
This is about communication with humans. You are comparing machine logic to human brains and emotion. A technical perspective. But humans do not work like computers so in my opinion this is not the right approach. Even so, I am not the one making the decision. Thank you for your update.
I have no idea what you are trying to say here.

We have said, multiple times, that when the Pi Zero/W supply situation changes, we will post about it. It'll probably appear is big shiny letters on the home page, because it will be a BIG THING! But since this hasn't happened, there has clearly not been any change in the situation.

Or, you can keep an eye on the sticky post at the top of the forum, where the current situation is explained, and where, if it changes, more information will appear.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:45 pm

jamesh wrote: We have said, multiple times, that when the Pi Zero/W supply situation changes, we will post about it. It'll probably appear is big shiny letters on the home page, because it will be a BIG THING! But since this hasn't happened, there has clearly not been any change in the situation.
Much as I love prominent official announcements, it might better if this one, when it comes, is done quietly. I would envision several thousand people suddenly ordering anywhere from 5 or 6 Pi0/Pi0W boards to 100+ boards all at once and stripping the supply within minutes...a phenomenon we have all seen before.

CarlRJ

Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:50 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Much as I love prominent official announcements, it might better if this one, when it comes, is done quietly. I would envision several thousand people suddenly ordering anywhere from 5 or 6 Pi0/Pi0W boards to 100+ boards all at once and stripping the supply within minutes...a phenomenon we have all seen before.
Announce it widely, but with special pricing for the first month: for each Pi0/Pi0W in a single order... the first one is regular price, the second one costs the next higher power of 2 and subsequent one doubles the price of the previous one. So, Pi0W: $10, $16, $32, $64, $128... After the first month, after the thrillseekers have lost patience and moved on to the next shiny thing (WiFi fidget spinners), drop the prices back to normal. Put any extra money collected back into the RPF to further their good works (oh, give the retailers 10% of the overage for being good sports). That way, if someone is dying to get a ton of them right away, "they can put their money where their mouth is". Those that are patient, they can buy a bunch once the hype wears off and prices come back down. The people who would have bought 10 just because "hey, 10 computers for $100" (only to throw them into a drawer, unused), those folks will be thwarted.

Alternatively, just bring up the limit slowly. A month of "max 2", a month of "max 3", etc.

Oddly enough, as much as the idea of buying a whole bunch excites me, I personally wouldn't. I've got a couple spares, from a habit of throwing one on top of orders from Adafruit/etc, "just because".

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 pm

CarlRJ wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Much as I love prominent official announcements, it might better if this one, when it comes, is done quietly. I would envision several thousand people suddenly ordering anywhere from 5 or 6 Pi0/Pi0W boards to 100+ boards all at once and stripping the supply within minutes...a phenomenon we have all seen before.
Announce it widely, but with special pricing for the first month: for each Pi0/Pi0W in a single order... the first one is regular price, the second one costs the next higher power of 2 and subsequent one doubles the price of the previous one. So, Pi0W: $10, $16, $32, $64, $128... After the first month, after the thrillseekers have lost patience and moved on to the next shiny thing (WiFi fidget spinners), drop the prices back to normal. Put any extra money collected back into the RPF to further their good works (oh, give the retailers 10% of the overage for being good sports). That way, if someone is dying to get a ton of them right away, "they can put their money where their mouth is". Those that are patient, they can buy a bunch once the hype wears off and prices come back down. The people who would have bought 10 just because "hey, 10 computers for $100" (only to throw them into a drawer, unused), those folks will be thwarted.
I'm inclined to think that the retailers wouldn't be able to handle that "complex" a scheme. I also think it would receive near-universal condemnation, if obly for being "too cutesy" ("too twee" for our UK colleagues, if I have the idiom correct).
Alternatively, just bring up the limit slowly. A month of "max 2", a month of "max 3", etc.
That idea has crossed my mind as well. I think a progression of "2, 5, 10, limited by stock on hand" would work with more like two months at each step. It would allow those who want multiples but not large multiples to get what they want before the mass orders hit. The one thing I'd really like to see, if one or more intermediate quantity limits were set, would be to have the retailers agree that the Pi0 and Pi0W are *not* the same product and, at the very least, allow one to order one of each.
Oddly enough, as much as the idea of buying a whole bunch excites me, I personally wouldn't. I've got a couple spares, from a habit of throwing one on top of orders from Adafruit/etc, "just because".
I do the "get one if I'm making an order anyway", but I don't make very many orders from Adafruit/etc, though I did last week...1 Pi0w, 1 Pi0/Pi0W case, 2 RTCs. I would probably get 5 Pi0s and 5 Pi0Ws. I've been thinking of get 2 or 3 Pi0Ws with headers already in (ModMyPi, $5 for the soldering job), but I have some purchases lined up ahead of that.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:27 am

mahjongg wrote:Actually they have both, and I have corrected my link. Thanks.
They get new stock weekly, so just check a couple of times.
Just checked, and they are in stock now....

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:22 pm

And... they are still in stock 5 days later!

KevinA

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:30 am

Still waiting: I live in the US, rural area, I tried to order from Adafruit but they refuse to ship to rural areas, Ebay is a joke with those idiots selling 5 for $22 each, other US vendors have shipping that cost more than the product and my fall back, PiHut and others over there have never learned to use HTML and a little code to show pricing in USD. Imagine my surprize when my Pi Zero W with connector costs $22 USD...
I have 35 kids in a rural school I'd like to but some PI's for but not at $7.10 shipping per unit let alone the hassle of buying one a day for 35 days.
I don't know what the foundation's goals are now, seems getting technology into the hands of children has gone away.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:22 am

Two things... If you work your way down through the shipping options, Adafruit at least used to offer to send things using the USPS, and my latest shipment from Pi Hut was Royal Mail to USPS. I presume you have postal service, no matter how rural your area is (and, yes, I'd have to agree that large chunks of Utah could qualify as "the middle of nowhere"). The second is that I'd recommend getting something in the B series of Pis to start out with. You'll less additional hardware to make it usable (no USB hub, no micro USB adapter), they have some power protection circuitry, and the GPIO header is soldered in at the factory. If you've really got to have built in WiFi, then you'd be looking at the Pi3B. If you want the least expensive, that would be the B+. Either of those can be ordered in bulk from US suppliers. The official one that is friendlier to individuals is MCM Electronics.

Heater

Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:32 am

KevinA,
I live in the US, rural area...
I do feel you pain. It's tough to live in such a technologically backward country. Even the frikken mobile phone service does not work here in Mountain View. And when it does it's phenomenally expensive. WTF?
I tried to order from Adafruit but they refuse to ship to rural areas
Apparently even the US postal service does not work. Or at least whatever Adafruit's policy is has nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
Ebay is a joke with those idiots selling 5 for $22 each
Similarly, whatever happens on ebay is nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi Foundation.
other US vendors have shipping that cost more than the product...
Again, nothing to do with the Pi Foundation. Given the amazingly cheap price of the product it's not surprising the the shipping costs match it.
PiHut and others over there have never learned to use HTML and a little code to show pricing in USD
Nonsense. The PiHut is a British company. Why would they quote their prices in every other currency on the planet?
I don't know what the foundation's goals are now, seems getting technology into the hands of children has gone away.
Nonsense. Let's be realistic. The Foundation is a charity run by a few guys and girls in England. It's not their fault that they cannot get their stuff delivered cheaply to every corner of the world.

jamesh

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:13 am

KevinA wrote:Still waiting: I live in the US, rural area, I tried to order from Adafruit but they refuse to ship to rural areas, Ebay is a joke with those idiots selling 5 for $22 each, other US vendors have shipping that cost more than the product and my fall back, PiHut and others over there have never learned to use HTML and a little code to show pricing in USD. Imagine my surprize when my Pi Zero W with connector costs $22 USD...
I have 35 kids in a rural school I'd like to but some PI's for but not at $7.10 shipping per unit let alone the hassle of buying one a day for 35 days.
Wow. Here we are, selling a fantastic computer for $35, pulling the price down to a 5th or less of other devices, spending $Millions per year on education, running Coder Dojo, Codeclub, training teachers, providing teaching material.

And we still get comments like this because a product not intended for teaching isn't widely available.

Here's some news for you. The $5 Zero is NOT a good teaching device. Buy the Pi3. It's still only $35, is available in huge quantities, is much easier to use. Yes, its more expensive, but you get what you pay for. If we only made Zero's, Raspberry Pi would go out of business, and all that money spent on education would go away.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

cpunk

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:48 am

I'm also keeping my eyes open with regard to Pi 0 W availability, and I would like to second the opinion that it's *not* the best teaching device. There are multiple reasons for that:

- Lack of multiple USB ports.
- There are far fewer miniHDMI displays around.
- No Ethernet connector.
- No speaker/earphone connector.
- Slower CPU.
- Header needs to be soldered on.

Me, I would not use them to teach newbies. :) I would use them to build a citywide radio mesh (no, not with WiFi but a special flavour of radio modem from Chengdu Ebyte). Or as a super-powereful replacement for RFID tags to measure lap times of rally cars (with rebuilt WiFi firmware to enable packet capture and packet injection below the ordinary protocol levels). They are suitable for applications where they can possibly, even probably, bite the dust...

...but so far, I bide my time and wait until supply improves. :) As for shipment, yes... shipment can be a mess, but fortunately it takes 4 pounds from UK to Estonia, which doesn't hurt severely if I need 5 units, but would start doing that if I needed 30...

bensimmo

Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Also waiting for the Zero to be in mass quantities, hoping to add a ring to them and sell them as novelty keyring toys as the Christmas fair.
The ZeroW would make it a bit too expensive

;-)

CarlRJ

Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:50 pm

bensimmo wrote:Also waiting for the Zero to be in mass quantities, hoping to add a ring to them and sell them as novelty keyring toys as the Christmas fair.
Limited availability has really gotten in the way of my plan to tile my living room walls with Pi Zeros.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:40 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:11 pm
Also waiting for the Zero to be in mass quantities
To be pedantic, they are available in mass quantities NOW, unfortunately for people who want to buy them by the dozen or more, there are also mass quantities of people who buy them up one by one NOW. and no, its not realistic to expect the production of them to suddenly increase tenfold, the RPF already has more than doubled the production, with limited profits, and they won't increase the price, so this is as it is and won't change, unless people start to not buy them up.

bensimmo

Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:36 pm

Ah, but mass quantities + postage per item means I make no profit at Christmas by adding a keyring hoop ;-)
And them GPIO bits really getting he way of a key ring for the alternative option.

*Note Just a bit of fun ;-) ;-) to point out the cheapness of a Zero.

And yes I do understand the economics of the situation of the Zero compared to the ZeroW compared to the Pi2/3 for RPT.

larsks

Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Found my way here the other day via Google because I was having a hard time finding Pi Zero Ws available online. Much to my surprise, I was able to find them locally and on sale: If you're in the US, MicroCenter seems to be selling single Pi Zero Ws in-store right now for $5/each. http://www.microcenter.com/product/486575/Zero_W

W. H. Heydt

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

larsks wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:07 pm
Found my way here the other day via Google because I was having a hard time finding Pi Zero Ws available online. Much to my surprise, I was able to find them locally and on sale: If you're in the US, MicroCenter seems to be selling single Pi Zero Ws in-store right now for $5/each. http://www.microcenter.com/product/486575/Zero_W
<expletive deleted> If only they were willing to *ship* them! I live just north of San Francisco. The nearest MicroCenter is near Los Angeles. (For our UK friends, that would be about like living in or near London and having the nearest store in Edinburgh.)

mwrich4

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Today, I just discovered the site 'PiShop.us'.

This shop and the Adafruit site still limit quantities. I was able to buy 1 PiZeroW and 1 PiZero from Adafruit (quantities restricted to 1). PiShop only had the PiZeroW in stock and was also limited to quantity 1. Adafruit now offers USmail shipping for < $5. PiShop was flatrate $7.45.

It'd be nice if the supplies of PiZeroW were increased to where it could be an impulse buy. Right now, I STILL have to plan on NOT being able to get any. Otherwise, I'd probably buy one for EACH new idea I wanted to try and solder them in place.

HawaiianPi

Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:40 am

In stock is far more common than out of stock now. Supplies of the Pi Zero/Zero W are not the issue with the 1-per-order limit. That limit was imposed to make the $5/$10 computers available to those who want 1. The limit is not going to be removed for the very same reason (regardless of supply/demand).

I agree with those that believe the 1-per limit is a bit restrictive, and it would be nice if they raised to to something more reasonable like 3, but I don't make those decisions. At this point it's safer to assume the Pi Zero models will never be available to order more than 1 at a time. It hasn't changed for the original Pi Zero which has been on sale for 2 years now, and it's not going to change for the Zero W in the foreseeable future.

People who want a bunch, but not hundreds or thousands are pretty much SOL. That's just the reality of the situation. If you are willing to pay more than $5/$10 per unit to save on batch shipping, then try and organize a group buy and see what price you can negotiate with RPT. If you don't want to do the legwork on organizing a group buy, then try and get support for it on Massdrop. Realistically, though, it probably won't result in much (if any) savings.

The only other option is to rethink your price model on the Pi Zero to include the per-item shipping cost (Pi Zero = $10, Zero W = $15).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:28 am

Actually...some of the recent remarks are even weirder, and rather...odd. That is, that it is supposed to be oner per person. Now since one of the main points about Pis in general is that they are so cheap that one cn risk breakage without being concerned about replacement cost, an enforced policy of one per person is simply insane. Take the models of Pi that really are cheap enough that replacing a broken one is not an issue and then making it impossible to replace? How does that even make sense? It also makes it much rougher on those that didn't order them when they could get them to build up a supply of spares....let alone those that have uses for a multiple Pi0s and Pi0Ws, but don't need really large quantities, say the 5 to 10 range.

Return to “General discussion”