ppan

Pi Zero W availability

Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:48 pm

I would like to buy a Pi Zero W. Here in Holland there's not a single store that can sell them, let alone have them in stock. Ordering them from the UK makes it much more expensive; if you do the math somehwere around 17-18 dollars. Worse still, it would be accaptable to pay 4 pounds shipping if I could order 4 but I can order only 1 per shipment.

Obviously these things must be due to low availability. But the Pi Zero W has been on the market some time now so one would expect production to be up to speed. I have searched and also wandered around on the forum here to find something about Pi Zero W availability but to no avail. Is there anyone from the organisation that can tell me anything about availability, now and in the near future?

rpdom

Re: Pi Zero W availability

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:09 pm

This question comes up at least once a week (and then gets locked).

Production of the Pi Zero is a lower priority than the (more commercial) other models. Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd are looking at ways of increasing the production, but demand always outstrips any increases (so far).

Ernst

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:27 pm

rpdom wrote:This question comes up at least once a week (and then gets locked).

Production of the Pi Zero is a lower priority than the (more commercial) other models. Raspberry Pi Trading Ltd are looking at ways of increasing the production, but demand always outstrips any increases (so far).
Please correct you answer after reading the OP (and the subject)
The road to insanity is paved with static ip addresses

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:37 pm

You can buy up to 20 from https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header that reduces the overhead costs for shipping across the North Sea.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ernst

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:49 pm

DougieLawson wrote:You can buy up to 20 from https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header that reduces the overhead costs for shipping across the North Sea.
Speed reading ? Can you give a link for the Pi 0 W ?

rpdom

Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:52 pm

Ernst wrote:Please correct you answer after reading the OP (and the subject)
Perhaps you could explain what is wrong with my answer which applies to the Pi Zero W as well as the plain Pi Zero?
Last edited by rpdom on Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ernst

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:03 pm

rpdom wrote:[quote="Ernst"Please correct you answer after reading the OP (and the subject)
Perhaps you could explain what is wrong with my answer which applies to the Pi Zero W as well as the plain Pi Zero?[/quote]#

It is customary to refer to the original request to avoid misunderstandings because you can not assume that the requester has sufficient knowledge to be able to correctly interpret the answer.

The OP asked about the Pi Zero W, your answer did not address that point. See DougieLawson's reply to understand the importance of giving a relevant answer.

DougieLawson

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:18 pm

Ernst wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:You can buy up to 20 from https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header that reduces the overhead costs for shipping across the North Sea.
Go read the link see if the offer extrends to £10 PiZW or is just the £5 PiZ (with camera).
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Ernst

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:24 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Ernst wrote:
Go read the link see if the offer extrends to £10 PiZW or is just the £5 PiZ (with camera).
I did - the page addressed with the link does not mention PiZW, how do you expect the OP to find the correct answer ?

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Yeah...it's a problem. While the Pi0W has been out for about 5 months and still limited (usually) to single board orders, the Pi0 has been out for 18 months and is similarly limited to one per order. What's worse, the retailers consider the Pi0 and Pi0W to be the "same product" (really?) so you can only buy one or the other at a time, not one of each.

The other way around the shipping cost problem is to find a company that has other things you want at the same time. Example...a couple of days ago I ordered a Pi0W, 2 RTC modules, and a Pi0 case. Shipping was the same as for just ordering a Pi0W, but the "per item" shipping works out to be a lot less.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:00 pm

Ernst wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:
Ernst wrote: Speed reading ? Can you give a link for the Pi 0 W ?
I did - the page addressed with the link does not mention PiZW, how do you expect the OP to find the correct answer ?
Common sense, and Google?

Anyway, not heard of any imminent changes although there are plans afoot to increase the number of Zero's you can order.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

ppan

Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:48 pm

jamesh, I used Google and I also searched the board. There is nothing recent to be found concerning production and stock.

mikerr

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:43 pm

Ernst wrote: I did - the page addressed with the link does not mention PiZW, how do you expect the OP to find the correct answer ?
PiZW with pre soldered headers :
https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/ra ... red-header

order up to 20 at a time - out of stock

The bare Zero W is still in stock in singles at modmypi, pimoroni and thepihut [clickable links]
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:33 pm

For doing a general check of availability of both the Pi0 and Pi0W, there is The Pi Locator... http://www.thepilocator.com/ Most retailers have them in stock. Single orders only, alas.

geoffr

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:39 am

mikerr wrote:
Ernst wrote: The bare Zero W is still in stock in singles at modmypi, pimoroni and thepihut [clickable links]
I think one problem is the number of Pi Zeros that people buy. If I just look at my own collection, I have 2 Model Bs (with the 26 pin header), a Pi 2, a Pi3, and about 10 Pi Zeros. The zero is so cheap that you can just buy another one for each project, and then still afford to have a few lying around. That probably helps to explain the demand for the Zero (and Zero W).

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:59 am

geoffr wrote:
mikerr wrote:
Ernst wrote: The bare Zero W is still in stock in singles at modmypi, pimoroni and thepihut [clickable links]
I think one problem is the number of Pi Zeros that people buy. If I just look at my own collection, I have 2 Model Bs (with the 26 pin header), a Pi 2, a Pi3, and about 10 Pi Zeros. The zero is so cheap that you can just buy another one for each project, and then still afford to have a few lying around. That probably helps to explain the demand for the Zero (and Zero W).
I *think* (I haven't counted) that you have more Pi0s than I have Pi0s and Pi0Ws combined. At the other end, I think I have about a dozen Model B Pis (some going back to polyfuses at the USB ports and 256MB RAM), 3 Model A Pis, at least 10 Pi2Bs with the majority being v1.1 but at least 2 are v1.2 (I want more of those as finances permit) and about 4 or 5 Pi3Bs, plus assorted CMs, CM3s, and CM3Ls.

So I don't consider your collection of Pi0/Pi0W boards excessive. I will agree that one problem is that it's easy to add them to orders. It is also the case that since you can't just order a few when you want them, there is a strong incentive to order one when available, even if you don't have an immediate plan to use it....just in case.

Burngate

Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:15 am

Because they're in short supply, some people will stockpile Zeros, compounding the problem.

Somewhat along the same lines as the 1974 sugar rationing saga in Britain, or The Great Toilet Paper Scare of 1973 in America https://priceonomics.com/the-great-toil ... e-of-1973/
And The Sun's current Butter-shortage scare https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/3959673/ ... ning-arla/

So, this Christmas, can we expect to see Pi Zero-W's given away free with half a pint of fresh cream? Or am I misreading things?

jamesh

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:44 am

ppan wrote:jamesh, I used Google and I also searched the board. There is nothing recent to be found concerning production and stock.
So, that would imply that there is no change....

When things change, we WILL announce it. Meanwhile, there's no point in announcing 'no change'.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

ppan

Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Imply = assumption. And assumption is the mother of all... ;)

If the organisation chooses not to keep interested consumers up to date on stock now and in the near future then you can expect people to ask around if there is no news for quite some time. Especially when stock in their own country is nil. It could be as easy as creating one page with an explanation (high demand, priority to other commercially more attractive models etc) and an update every month which need not bo more than "No change". That's propably way less hassle than having to answer the question over and over again.

jamesh

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:15 pm

ppan wrote:Imply = assumption. And assumption is the mother of all... ;)

If the organisation chooses not to keep interested consumers up to date on stock now and in the near future then you can expect people to ask around if there is no news for quite some time. Especially when stock in their own country is nil. It could be as easy as creating one page with an explanation (high demand, priority to other commercially more attractive models etc) and an update every month which need not bo more than "No change". That's propably way less hassle than having to answer the question over and over again.
I cannot believe this comes up again and again. It has been explained, time and time again; If there is no news THERE IS NO NEWS. Nothing has changed. It's the difference between Polling and interrupts. Polling is a waste of cycles, interrupts are more efficient. Monthly updates with no changed content are the equivalent of polling. A waste of cycles. WEait for the announcement of a change (an interrupt).

(and Imply does NOT mean Assumption btw, they are VERY different words)

jamesh

Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:16 pm

Although I think I'll create a sticky post on here.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:40 pm

ppan wrote:Especially when stock in their own country is nil. ...
Except that isn't true. Check The Pi Locator for stock information (not quantities, just availability).

CarlRJ

Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:39 pm

Burngate wrote:So, this Christmas, can we expect to see Pi Zero-W's given away free with half a pint of fresh cream?
Yes, though due to an unfortunate misinterpretation of instructions between the two factories on how the promotion was to be run, the Pi Zero-W's have been sealed, unprotected, inside the pints of cream, which will undoubtedly cause annoyance to those who know what they are, and fear amongst those who don't.

ppan

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:05 pm

jamesh wrote:
ppan wrote:Imply = assumption. And assumption is the mother of all... ;)

I cannot believe this comes up again and again. It has been explained, time and time again; If there is no news THERE IS NO NEWS. Nothing has changed. It's the difference between Polling and interrupts. Polling is a waste of cycles, interrupts are more efficient. Monthly updates with no changed content are the equivalent of polling. A waste of cycles. WEait for the announcement of a change (an interrupt).

(and Imply does NOT mean Assumption btw, they are VERY different words)
This is about communication with humans. You are comparing machine logic to human brains and emotion. A technical perspective. But humans do not work like computers so in my opinion this is not the right approach. Even so, I am not the one making the decision. Thank you for your update.

ppan

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:07 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
ppan wrote:Especially when stock in their own country is nil. ...
Except that isn't true. Check The Pi Locator for stock information (not quantities, just availability).
There is not a single store on that page from the Netherlands that has the Pi Zero W in stock. So yes it is true in my case.

Return to “General discussion”