Coleman

Re: Hook up to my netbook

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:27 pm

First forgive me, I know only very little about computers or programming. That's why I have a perhaps rather silly question. So I just wonder if I could connect the Raspberry to my netbook and just use the keyboard and the screen of the netbook navigating the Raspberry, having two computers at once.

Is any of the like possible?

thank you

Gert van Loo

Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Not immediately.

You will not be the only one who wants that so I assume in due time somebody will make an SD-card image which starts a VNC session on the Raspberry-Pi immediately from boot-up. (There is a demo video somewhere of  the Raspberry Pi  running VNC ).

Metrik

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:07 pm

I`m wondering something similar, so might as well put it in here. Would it be feasible to use a kindle as the screen? or the wifi from it either?

mobeyduck

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:58 pm

a quick google led me to http://www.wifi001.com/wifi/index.en.jsp VNC for the kindles with wifi.

however you will need a connection to a wireless network from the R-Pi and the kindle. I dont know but i dont think that there are wired network connection addons for the kindle, but there are wifi usb sticks

dattaway

Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Coleman said:

First forgive me, I know only very little about computers or programming. That's why I have a perhaps rather silly question. So I just wonder if I could connect the Raspberry to my netbook and just use the keyboard and the screen of the netbook navigating the Raspberry, having two computers at once.

Is any of the like possible?

thank you

I do this on my linux netbook by using built in ssh and x-forwarding.  I ssh into the monitor-less computer and export the DISPLAY variable to the netbook's ip address.  Any graphical apps I run show up on the netbook's screen.  That's x-forwarding...if that makes sense.

Coleman

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 pm

Thanks for answering! I am not sure if I understood all the answers correctly, but I nevertheless have some more questions!

For what can I use the ethernet port for? Let's assume I had three Raspberries. Could I connect them to a network switch, to which I also connect my netbook and then wouldn't that make a nice little computer network?

Gert talked about SD-card images that start VNC sessions, dattaway about x-forwarding. Are these things hard to do?

As I said in my opening post, I know only very little about computers and I just started learning programming in Python. But for some reason I think it would be a cool and fun thing to have a little network of computers, where I can program all the computers to communicate with each other somehow. Perhaps even sort of like a neural network of computers.

Does that make any sense?

thanks again

nelson

Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:43 pm

Vnc is pretty straightforward you just need to install a vnc server on the rpi which is usually a trivial thing on linux, on the net book you install something like winvnc after that and with both the rpi and the netbook on the same network (wired or wireless doesn't matter as long as it's the same router [internet box ]) you type the ip address and the password for the rpi on winvnc and should start to see the rpi screen in the netbook.

If you have 2 computers you can try it now, install winvnc server on one and winvnc client on the other and try to connect from the client to the server, this usually does not take more than 20 minutes for a first timer.

x-forwarding is a totally different beast and would recommend against it until you have more practice with linux systems

foo

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:38 pm

Coleman said:

For what can I use the ethernet port for? Let's assume I had three Raspberries. Could I connect them to a network switch, to which I also connect my netbook and then wouldn't that make a nice little computer network?

Yes, you need to find some way to plug the computers together.  If you get the Model B with an ethernet port, you can network them together through your home router/switch.

If you get the Model A, you'll have to buy a USB Wifi adapter to get it to network to your home wireless router.

If you just plug it in via USB, I believe all you'll get is access to the files on the RPi, just like a flash drive.  You can't do much interaction with it this way, just file transfers, so expect to network them to do real things.  (Somebody correct me on this if the USB slave does more or less, like only charge).

All the options presented here are pretty easy to do without knowing any details, but of course learning the details will help you troubleshoot or educate you as to how things work.  Plugging in a display into its own composite or HDMI port would be the easiest to start, but if you don't have extra displays/keyboards hanging around, networking into it shouldn't be a big deal.

nelson

Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:51 pm

@foo:

The micro usb will be for power only and the other 'regular' usb ports will be to connect to devices ie: mouse, keyboard, wifi adapter, etc not computers, you will not be able to share files with another computer through usb

edit: the new forum editor ate my quote

benatweb

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:13 pm

Coleman said:

As I said in my opening post, I know only very little about computers and I just started learning programming in Python. But for some reason I think it would be a cool and fun thing to have a little network of computers, where I can program all the computers to communicate with each other somehow. Perhaps even sort of like a neural network of computers.

Yes, thats possible and indeed a cool thing. Such a network of computers working together is called a cluster (in the world of the Raspberry Pi nicknamed a bramble). Clusters are built to enhance the computing power of multiple single machines by linking them together, thats how many supercomputers work. So yes, something you could maybe call something like a neural network. But to build a cluster requires advanced skills, so I wouldn't recommend it as one of your first projects.

Coleman

Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:33 pm

Thanks so much for all the great answers! Very much appreciated!

That all sounds fantastic. So my goal for 2012: building a bramble!

If the intention of the Raspberry folks was to create new excitement for programming, then it definetely worked for me! I'm very excited and can't wait to experiment and play around with the Raspberry.

thanks again folks and happy new year to all you

Tanga

Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:37 am

The physical computers are called a 'cluster' but the act of getting them to work together is called 'distributed computing' (just a little more info to help with the google search).  There are already people doing this in various flavours of linux (including the ones that ship with the RPi), thus there are packages available, ready built, to allow you to do it too.  Sorry I can't help more, as I don't do distributed computing myself, but it sounds like you want to set up a 'Beowulf Cluster,' which the Pi computers are uniquely qualified to do.  I am sorry I can't be more helpful, but I don't do distributed computing myself, though the Pi makes it tempting.

What you plan to do using your netbook is called a 'remote desktop' – but you can't use the computers together, but instead use the screen and keyboard of your netbook to do the work, but you are doing all the work on the RPi.  There are various ways of doing this, but as others have said VNC would probably be the easiest.  Good-luck!
Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) Tutorials by a fellow noob:
http://noobsquared.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “General discussion”