Skygod

Re: warranty

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:37 am

Does anybody know when RS and Premier Farnell become manufacturers?

I was always under the impression that they were solely distribution channels.

An older article on their website at http://www.raspberrypi.org/for.....nty/page-2 states :

"It is important to note that Farnell do not manufacture any of the products
we make available to our customers."

spurious

Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:43 am

@Skygod..

Front page top...

For those of you just joining us, we have entered into licensed manufacture partnerships with two British companies, Premier Farnell and RS Components. They’ll be manufacturing and distributing the devices on our behalf...

Skygod

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 am

Yes exactly. "They’ll be manufacturing and distributing...".

I just wondered when these companies started manufacturing products, as I've never heard of either having manufacturing capability.

Phil Spiegel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:12 am

It is an 'interesting' point -as in the chineseproverb: 'we live in interesting times':

For consumer purchases, the 'distance selling rules' must apply in the EU...however

Customers of RS and Farnell (although they have 'domestic' arm) are business customers, and have agreed to the terms and conditions as such - or will have when completing their order. I believe the level of protection offered is somewhat different!

(can anyone with confirmed legal knowledge in thisarea confirm this?)

The'interesting' area will be those who purchased with the intent of reselling on Ebay and the like -early examples of which have been removed/disappeared:

One of these offered a 'warranty' for the same price as the real cost of the Pi! (asking 99GBP for the Pi).   Having read through the 38+ pages of 'HDUK' on launch day, there will be many potential profiteers who might try to return unsellable stock by means of mis-using consumer protection laws -causing great expense to the suppliers if they succeed!

I'm glad for Liz, the remainder of the team,and the project/charity in general, that by selling via RS and Farnell, they have distanced themselves from such 'people'.

I look forward to RS and Farnell dealing robustly with any such claims, without it generating adverse publicity for the foundation.   Hopefully they will 'preempt' the possible problem by forthrightly placing the relevant conditions on their 'expression of interest' / pre-order forms... it might reduce the list size ?

arm2

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:43 am

Re Warranty: I'm certain any court would not accept that if you are a private individual having bought from Farnell/RS that it was a Business to Business transaction, no mater what caveat is stated. I'm sure it won't in practice really matter but it does make the Foundation look like an unforgiving big business, rather against the ethos of the Foundation.

Re: "I just wondered when these companies started manufacturing products, as I've never heard of either having manufacturing capability."

I'm pretty certain Farnell/RS don't own and run any factories but they do have close relationships with many manufacturers and sell many products under there own brand name e.g. Farnell uses the brand name MULTICOMP for various products. I don't think most Apple products are made in factories it owns but most people do generally regard them as manufacturers!

scep

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:45 am

arm2 said:

The EU distance selling regulations apply as will the UK Sale of Goods Act and equivelant in other countries. If there is a EU or UK act that negates the protection those acts/directives grant, please state it.
There isn't. That's why no one said there was. A warranty can only extend your statutory rights. Which is why Jack used the word 'warranty' and not 'statute'.

(And of course this conversation was last year before RS and Farnell were involved anyway...)

Phil Spiegel

Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:55 am

From the UKgovernment website:

Distance Selling Regulations

The Distance Selling Regulations 2000 are designed to protect customers who are not physically present with the seller at the time of purchase. They cover purchases made via email and the internet, together with telephone and mail order.

They only apply to transactions between businesses and consumers (individuals acting outside the course of their business) and do not include business-to-business contracts and auctions.

So, Chris, if a 'customer' placing and order on the RS site confirms that they ARE a business, and not buying as a consumer.... doesn't this make it a non-consumer sale?

-which should be upheld by a UK or European court  ... of course a US court will allowing suing anyway

Of course, the Ebay Re-sellers, rely on the latter exclusion.

Return to “General discussion”