sadkid

Free ram [solved]

Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:13 am

what is the free ram available across all models which can run java over stock OS image?
Last edited by sadkid on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scotty101

Re: Free ram

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:36 am

Your post makes little sense.

The 'stock OS' Raspbian can already run Java.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:40 am

then what about the free ram it got when not running any extra applications?
i.e. just booted

jahboater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am

sadkid wrote:then what about the free ram it got when not running any extra applications?
i.e. just booted
Type "free -h" on the command line to see that.

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:47 am

jahboater wrote:
sadkid wrote:then what about the free ram it got when not running any extra applications?
i.e. just booted
Type "free -h" on the command line to see that.
I do not own one.. if i could know it across all models from people who own some.. then i could choose the best one for me.
:oops: :oops:

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:48 am

The best one is always the Pi3B. It has the best CPU and the most memory.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 am

I would be really glad to find the answer to the OP :(

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:00 am

You'll use about 40M without the desktop, 90M with the desktop. The GPU needs a minimum of 16M. Add up your usage and subtract it from the total available.

My pi currently has 880M free

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:06 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:You'll use about 40M without the desktop, 90M with the desktop. The GPU needs a minimum of 16M. Add up your usage and subtract it from the total available.

My pi currently has 880M free
are you sure it is true for all models.. atleast the ones that you own?

BTW my heartfelt thanks to you "shift+1"
i was dying to know answer to this

jahboater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:07 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:You'll use about 40M without the desktop, 90M with the desktop. The GPU needs a minimum of 16M. Add up your usage and subtract it from the total available.
The Pi Zero has 512MB total physical memory, the Pi2 and Pi3 have 1GB.
You can add a little to that with swap, but performance drops off badly when swapping to a slow SD card.

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 am

It's true for all models that the amount of memory available will be the amount of memory total minus the amount of memory used. The only variable between models is the total amount of memory.

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:11 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:It's true for all models that the amount of memory available will be the amount of memory total minus the amount of memory used. The only variable between models is the total amount of memory.
Then in that case... I'm done!

Thanks-a-lot.. literally ALOT :D

I dont see how to close a here thread.. If i could i would. :D :D :D

DougieLawson

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:25 am

sadkid wrote:what is the free ram available across all models which can run java over stock OS image?
It depends. What it depends on is what's running on your RPi. There is no sane answer to your question.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:32 am

I appreciate your reply... But it was answered already by the user "shiftplusone".

Also.. question is for just booted scenario* so.. northing runs except the stock OS*

jahboater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:51 am

Pi's are so cheap, why not get one and try it!

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:54 am

buying all single boards on the market under the brands : (1) Pine64 (2)Raspberry (3)OrangePi
for a 11th grade project is a bad idea i guess :lol: :lol:

jahboater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:06 am

sadkid wrote:buying all single boards on the market under the brands : (1) Pine64 (2)Raspberry (3)OrangePi
for a 11th grade project is a bad idea i guess :lol: :lol:
Just a Pi Zero then!
I prefer the Odroid C2 to the Pine 64 by the way (I have both).

MarkTF

Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:23 pm

sadkid wrote:I do not own one.. if i could know it across all models from people who own some.. then i could choose the best one for me.
To make any sense of this, wouldn't you have to know how much RAM is required for your application?

The RPi3 is the most capable model in the best supported line of ARM single board computers, it's readily available, and it's relatively inexpensive. Start there, do your development, and if it winds up not being adequate in some manner, you'll know enough about your project to select something more appropriate.

Alternately you could outline your project and it's likely someone here has done something similar and can give better feedback.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm

sadkid wrote: I do not own one.. if i could know it across all models from people who own some.. then i could choose the best one for me.
Pis have been made with as little as 256MB of RAM and as much as 1GB (so far). Hence the difficulty in giving a specific answer. Granted, all the ones in current production have either 512MB (Pi0, Pi0W, A+, B+, CM) or 1GB (Pi2B--both versions--Pi3B, CM3, and CM3L). )

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm sorry but if you read all other posts of mine you would find this line "If i could close this tread, I would"
I got my answer.

I am not developing or something.. I am just making a 11th grade project which is titled "RAM" and obviously is about Random-Access-Memory.

I have a PC store near by who were friendly enough to give me the info and helped me with some stuff.

But, they are not carrying any SoC (System-on-a-Chip).

That made me to come to the 'RBPi' forums. As i have a bunch of slides named "Single Chip Computer era" and "SoC".

Although, I appreciate your efforts to not read the previous posts/replies. I urge you to read from now on as it saves a lot of time for the world.

*Disclaimer : This looks this kind/good/innocent because of rules of the forum* else.. :twisted:

Edit: Did you people even read what the OP aka Original Post was? or Just answering randomly?? :? :?

Read replies.. read question.. Go get a english translator incase you dont speak english..

Know that it has been answered by user "Shiftplusone"

Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"

rpdom

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:08 pm

It's a free forum. People can post what they like (within reason). If they feel that they have something positive to comment they will.

You can't close your post. All you can do is to edit the top post and add "[SOLVED]" to the subject line. You can't stop other people replying to it. The only people who can do that are the overworked volunteer moderators who would really rather not have to step in.

You know the mods. They have names in green. It's not a good idea to argue with them.
sadkid wrote:Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"

PeterO

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:09 pm

sadkid wrote:I'm sorry but if you read all other posts of mine you would find this line "If i could close this tread, I would"
I got my answer.

I am not developing or something.. I am just making a 11th grade project which is titled "RAM" and obviously is about Random-Access-Memory.

I have a PC store near by who were friendly enough to give me the info and helped me with some stuff.

But, they are not carrying any SoC (System-on-a-Chip).

That made me to come to the 'RBPi' forums. As i have a bunch of slides named "Single Chip Computer era" and "SoC".

Although, I appreciate your efforts to not read the previous posts/replies. I urge you to read from now on as it saves a lot of time for the world.

*Disclaimer : This looks this kind/good/innocent because of rules of the forum* else.. :twisted:

Edit: Did you people even read what the OP aka Original Post was? or Just answering randomly?? :? :?

Read replies.. read question.. Go get a english translator incase you dont speak english..

Know that it has been answered by user "Shiftplusone"

Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"
You know, if you had actually told us what you were really doing in the OP, then this thread would have been a lot shorter. YOU have wasted a lot of people's time so don't be surprised if they ignore you !

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

Heater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm

sadkid,
Did you people even read what the OP aka Original Post was? or Just answering randomly??
Yes, "we people" read the OP and all the rest. It was vague, non-specific, confusing and apparently nothing to do with the question you actually wanted to ask.

The OP question was:
what is the free ram available across all models which can run java over stock OS image?
But it turns out your intended question is nothing to do with Java or operating system because you then say:
Can you see the contradiction there and how it may lead people to answer a question other than the one you thought you asked.

Before criticizing our reading and comprehension skills perhaps you could take a minute to think about what you write.

Now, perhaps if you are writing an essay or whatever on RAM some historical context might be in order. Like, how much RAM did early home computers have? The C64, Sinclair Spectrum etc. Or what memory technology did old mainframe computers have and how much RAM did they get.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Heater wrote: Now, perhaps if you are writing an essay or whatever on RAM some historical context might be in order. Like, how much RAM did early home computers have? The C64, Sinclair Spectrum etc. Or what memory technology did old mainframe computers have and how much RAM did they get.
Plus...some of us have been around long enough to have worked with those system and be able to give answeres without looking anything up. (And, yes, I *did* read the whole thread before the first post I added to and i stand by my answer as it expands on what others have said, including that the early Pis--many of which are still in use--had less RAM than the models in current production and therefore supplies data towards your initial question.)

DougieLawson

Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:02 pm

sadkid wrote: Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"
It's not a good idea to be unfriendly to folks with high numbers of posts or James (a moderator). That kind of behaviour can result in a week in the cooler or, worst case, a permanent ban. You're also likely to trigger a move to the "blocked list" for some of the high volume posters.

Learning to formulate a coherent question is one of the skills you need to learn.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “General discussion”