szhansen
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am

How to custom the image?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:03 am

I have download :Minimal image based on Debian Jessie ,
and now I want to pre-install lots of software to the image,
then write the image to lots of sdcard,
but I don't know how to make this custom image step by step ,

anybody could help me ? thanks.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 10749
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: How to custom the image?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:33 am

Step 1: A get a masters degree in Comp. Sci. with an emphasis on Linux Sys Admin and lots of C programming.

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8238
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to custom the image?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:14 am

Maybe start with a minimal image that provides its own tools to do what you seek?

DietPi seems to offer this: http://dietpi.com

User avatar
RaTTuS
Posts: 10408
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK

Re: How to custom the image?

Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:34 am

make the image you want -
resize the main partition to be as small as sensible
add a one time boot option to resize the main partition to the full size of the disk
create an image file of that data knowing how big it is see dd
save that image somewhere
use that as the source for writing many SDcards with an SDcard duplicator [or several usb / sdcard adaptors ]
job done.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

szhansen
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am

Re: How to custom the image?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:30 am

@all, thank you all your reply,but none could close this issue.
I really want know how the offical release image to be build ?

I try to use QMENU/CHROOT ,but pi3 can't be succesful, the pi3's cpu not supported.

DirkS
Posts: 9899
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: How to custom the image?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:10 pm

szhansen wrote:I really want know how the offical release image to be build ?
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen
Only limited documentation available, though

gordon77
Posts: 4111
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Re: How to custom the image?

Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:26 pm

szhansen wrote:I have download :Minimal image based on Debian Jessie ,
and now I want to pre-install lots of software to the image,
then write the image to lots of sdcard,
but I don't know how to make this custom image step by step ,

anybody could help me ? thanks.
Couldn't you just install Raspbian lite, install the extra programs you want including the Pi SDcard copier (assuming it's available), and then just use the SDcard copier to make copies to other SD cards ?

szhansen
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am

Re: How to custom the image?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:30 am

@gordon77:
I don't need sdcard copy,I need a custom image file like offical released,
I hope the image have small size, I will write the image to lot's of sd card with size like 16GB,32GB and so on...

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8238
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to custom the image?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:30 am

Even the standard full release of Raspbian Jessie will fit on an 8Gbyte microSD card.

If space is your main concern, do you need to customise anything at all?

sarahgad
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: How to custom the image?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:22 am

B.Goode wrote:Even the standard full release of Raspbian Jessie will fit on an 8Gbyte microSD card.

If space is your main concern, do you need to customise anything at all?
What to do if space is an issue?

User avatar
B.Goode
Posts: 8238
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: How to custom the image?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:36 am

sarahgad wrote:
B.Goode wrote:Even the standard full release of Raspbian Jessie will fit on an 8Gbyte microSD card.

If space is your main concern, do you need to customise anything at all?
What to do if space is an issue?
Use an existing solution such as Raspbian Jessie Lite or DietPi.

Or use a model of RPi that can be booted from Mass Storage or via a network connection and do away with the constraints of a microSD card.

hommar
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:55 pm
Location: Russia, Yekaterinburg

Re: How to custom the image?

Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:26 pm

szhansen wrote:how to make this custom image step by step
step1: Clone or download https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen
step2: what packages you need add to pi-gen/blob/dev/stage5/00-install-mathematica/00-packages
step3: run sudo ./build.sh

szhansen
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am

Re: How to custom the image?

Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:47 am

hommar wrote:
szhansen wrote:how to make this custom image step by step
step1: Clone or download https://github.com/RPi-Distro/pi-gen
step2: what packages you need add to pi-gen/blob/dev/stage5/00-install-mathematica/00-packages
step3: run sudo ./build.sh
Thank you so much,It's a little complicated.

szhansen
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:55 am

Re: How to custom the image?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:15 am

I have use dd /rsync to backup sd card to a small xxx.img

Return to “General discussion”