alpha_one_x86

Re: Gateways computer

Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:05 pm

Hello, I have never found a routeur version with this spec:

One usb port

One hdmi port (to display and debug the boot problem)

2x ethernet port

Micro sd card (to have a full Os on it like ssd)

Powered on usb port

Very minimal size (1/4 than raspberry pi size can be ideal) and power consuption.

It can be perfect server/routeur/gaytway.
Dev of Ultracopier,Supercopier) and CatchChallenger with Portable datacenter project

Warringer

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:10 pm

There will only be two versions. If you want the above, you'd have to thing a bit.

alpha_one_x86 said:

Hello, I have never found a routeur version with this spec:

One usb port

One hdmi port (to display and debug the boot problem)

2x ethernet port

Why not get yourself the Pi-B board and one USB ethernet port?

Micro sd card (to have a full Os on it like ssd)

The Pi already has full size SD Card support. If you only got a Micro SD, get an adapter.

Powered on usb port

Very minimal size (1/4 than raspberry pi size can be ideal) and power consuption.

The Pi is already the size of a credit card. For that low cost its hard to make it even smaller...

It can be perfect server/routeur/gaytway.

You can do that out of the box already with some thinking it through...

alpha_one_x86

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:01 pm

I don't want use usb port to adapter usb <-> ethernet, neither SD card due to space used. The micro SD card have same capacity than normal SD card but is very more smaller.

I propose other version very usefull for my case and other similar case what I have see on the net. Without GPIO, jack connector, … just what I have mentioned it's possible. (It's why I have jugested micro SD, to win of space).

Actualy I use fit pc 1 with geode, but with raspberrypi I will win of space/power but I need add one ethernet adaptater and it's not very clean and compact. I wish correct hardware, not hand making hardware.
Dev of Ultracopier,Supercopier) and CatchChallenger with Portable datacenter project

hippy

Sun Dec 25, 2011 3:13 pm

alpha_one_x86 said:

Hello, I have never found a routeur version with this spec ...

Sounds good and would be nice to see a link and pricing; for some people it may be a better option than choosing an R-Pi.

The real questions for me would be price and is there the community to help me do what I would like to do at my level of experience if I chose that over the R-Pi ? Even if it were the best hardware in the world at zero cost it would be useless to me if I couldn't actually use it for what I wanted.

Tomo2k

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:35 pm

I think you're better off looking elsewhere for that kind of hardware, you won't find it here.

Put simply, you can't do that with the BCM2835 CPU used in the Raspberry Pi.

The Ethernet chip on the Model B is actually a combination USB Hub and USB Ethernet adapter, because the BCM2835 does not natively have Ethernet – only a single USB 2.0 port.

I also think you are not going to find anything this small with dual Ethernet NICs, except perhaps the CPU boards in some NAS and routers.

- Those will of course be using soldered-in flash and not removable micro-SD, as a removable micro-SD card would be a likely point of failure.

I know there are quite a few communities based around this kind of hacking on commercially-available NAS and routers.

pepedog

Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:53 pm

I have a Fit-PC 1 (geode) and feel it's coming to end of life.

I would (and have) done this with extra usb to Ethernet, on a dockstar, also with a wireless stick as access point.

I would drop geode completely if I could get FrontPage server extensions working on arm (x86 only)

daveg

Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:16 pm

yes, as tomo said the R-Pi isn't capable of what you want and you will need to look elsewhere to find suitable hardware.

I would recommend a dreamplug as it sounds like what you are looking for

http://www.globalscaletechnolo.....tails.aspx

alpha_one_x86

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:45 am

Like you have send the link, no screen connector, then it's not easy to debug a boot problem.

Do you have NAS with dual ethernet, and serial to debug boot pre/post kernel? I will search more in this direction...

Return to “General discussion”