hay guy's (and girls)

is there java included??

becaus i want to try if i can run minecraft server on it

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: java

Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:37 pm

General consensus is that the device doesnt have enough memory for minecraft. See the forums - this has been discussed there.

I never got Java working either, but I am pretty sure that was an issue with me, not Java!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Warringer

Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:13 pm

With Debian it should be perfectly possible to get Java to run on the Pi. Heck there is a JavaVM for an 8bit AVR controller after all.

Minecraft should be close to impossible. But try talking to notch, maybe he might be able to do something.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:52 pm

JamesH said:

I never got Java working either, but I am pretty sure that was an issue with me, not Java!

I've had openjdk running fine on the Raspberry Pi. There may be a number of cool Java programs Raspi can run, but Minecraft is almost definitely not one of them.

Prometheus

Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Doesn't xvilo want to run a Minecraft *server*, though?

I know folks who run those from BeagleBoards - is there some reason that the Raspberry Pi couldn't do this?

xvilo

Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:30 am

Ehum i want to run a minecraft SERVER on it!!! I know thats nearly impossible to Play minecraft on it.... But the server like bukkit would work if there is java available!!!

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 am

Prometheus said:

Doesn't xvilo want to run a Minecraft *server*, though?

I know folks who run those from BeagleBoards - is there some reason that the Raspberry Pi couldn't do this?

Depending on RAM requirements it should at least run if the Beagleboard people had success. I'm not sure how CPU intensive the Minecraft server is though.

skylonrow

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:52 am

I know Minecraft can support upto 10 players on 512mb of RAM.

Dunno about the CPU power, worth trying out though!

Prometheus

Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:01 am

asb said:

I'm not sure how CPU intensive the Minecraft server is though.

Yeah, I don't know that, either... I'd certainly be interested to hear more about it, but I haven't looked into it as it's not something I'd be doing.

tbar

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm

You could also consider running one of the alternative minecraft-servers. http://mc-server.org is written in C++, with plugins written i Lua, and is being actively maintained. I've had it run just fine on 256 MB RAM on a virtual x86 box. I don't know if it'll compile on Arm but I would be very suprised if it didn't...

michael_x

Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

Now back to Java itself:

In the FAQ I found:

Michael Borcherds on October 18, 2011 at 9:38 pm said:

You can download Oracle’s ARM Java here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetw.....ml#sysreqs
Will that work?

—–

With no further answer
Next request is for Eclipse .
I understand raspPI is meant for educational purposes, and Java is a major educational programming environment, isn't it ?

nick.mccloud

Fri May 04, 2012 2:08 pm

michael_x said:

I understand raspPI is meant for educational purposes, and Java is a major educational programming environment, isn't it ?

Standalone it's a great way to teach lazy sloppy programming. In conjunction with learning other languages it has its merits.

Java can be run quite nicely on the Pi with OpenJDK so we won't be lacking in tutorials!

jamesh

Fri May 04, 2012 2:50 pm

Rad here for why Java isn't necessarily the best for teaching programming.

http://www.eetimes.com/electro.....amming-gap
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

mole125

Fri May 04, 2012 3:26 pm

There's various valid arguments for and against using Java to teach programming but I have to say I found that argument to be one of the weaker ones I've seen.

Embedded programming is a niche, a very important niche which makes the world go round, but much of the arguments presented in the argument could probably also be used to complain that universities don't teach enough java as most don't cover the servlet API and web application development and ecommerce is vitally important to our economy etc etc and how unreasonable is it to expect to send a fresh graduate on a training course to learn the specific technology and skills to do the particular job that is needed at that point in time.

A good computer science university course should teach their students how to think, create efficient algorithms and solve problems, ideally in procedural, functional and declarative paradigms to give them a good opportunity to learn new skills and languages later. It should also cover good low level details of how processors and computers work and other theoretical groundings. A reasonable developer should be able then, with some training be able to learn whatever programming language they need, starting from whatever basis they have, most differences between languages are syntactic sugar and convenience. If the person really can't manage to switch from java to C after a reasonable training course then they are unlikely to do well in either language

nick.mccloud

Fri May 04, 2012 3:46 pm

I think the main concern is students learning just one language and one that does a lot of the donkey work for them. Having built in garbage collection is fine once you've done it yourself a few times. You don't get to be a successful MD until you've been the janitor.

mole125

Fri May 04, 2012 4:02 pm

I'd agree with not just one language, but I don't think many MD's have actually been the janitor, the modern approach is to get some silly business degree and jump in half way up... More to the point it is better for a first language (which sadly is the case for many computer science students) to allow the student to concentrate on solving the problem they are set and producing a good algorithm and not doing house keeping.

As you get better even in java you have to learn memory management techniques and it really shouldn't be hard to teach someone later that if they do a new they have to do a delete and design their algorithms correctly so that they do it at the right time.

Another thing to remember is that Computer Science != Software Engineering but that leads onto a seperate debate of what the point of university is.

Return to “General discussion”