bullen

Raspbian Lite can't get ssh to work without monitor!

Wed May 31, 2017 1:58 pm

"The boot partition on a Pi should be accessible from any machine with an SD card reader, on Windows, Mac, or Linux. If you want to enable SSH, all you need to do is to put a file called ssh in the /boot/ directory."

This makes no sense, I have two partitions on my card, one contains lots of files but no /boot/ directory, the other has the Linux file system with an empty /boot/ folder in it... if I place the ssh file here it does not enable ssh with the latest lite raspbian.

I have done it before once with the Nov 2016 release but now when I try to reproduce that I can't make it work either. Can somebody write a guide that can't fail for this... there must be some step I do wrong... can the ssh file be writeable only for root for example?

Ok, got it to work by writing the ssh file in the boot partition NOT THE /boot/ folder in the Linux partition! Phew...
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

SteveSpencer

Re: Raspbian Lite can't get ssh to work without monitor!

Wed May 31, 2017 3:23 pm

Good. The confusion arises because on a Windows machine, you can see <b>only</b> the boot partition.

Essentially, when the system boots, it loads the Linux kernel from the FAT partition. One of the startup things that is done is to mount file systems (partitions) according to what is in the fstab. For non-NOOBS cards, this generally means the second (ext3) partition is mounted at /, and then the first (FAT) partition is mounted at /boot.
Steve S
No, I can't think of anything funny that won't offend someone if they want it to...

hommar

Wed May 31, 2017 3:56 pm

boot is not directory, boot is FAT partition

bullen

Wed May 31, 2017 3:57 pm

Yep, but there is also a /boot/ folder on the other partition...

and there is no boot name on the boot partition if you look at it from fdisk!

this whole "we're going to save the world from DDoS hell" has officially backfired IMO.

the neckties are destroying the world one disastrous afterthought after the other! :D
Last edited by bullen on Wed May 31, 2017 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://github.com/tinspin/rupy - A tiny Java async HTTP application server.

B.Goode

Wed May 31, 2017 4:19 pm

An attempt to turn this discussion to something positive...

Now that parties who were previously confused or frustrated are clearer about what is required to enable ssh, why not propose a rewording of the Raspberry Pi Foundation documentation to save other people the same pain?

Return to “General discussion”